GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,441
2 members and 2,439 guests
TLLK

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a question for the experts out there, cause I'm not one...

In looking at past expansion news and all the planned stacked expansions in the future, some as far out as 2019...I think this is a relevant question...

What happens if a school is not "viable" for their future planned stacked expansion? For example, back in 2008, UNC, Pembroke after inviting Kappa Delta to colonize in 2008, announced that they planned to have Gamma Phi Beta come on campus in 2010 and Alpha Sigma Alpha in 2011... obviously that did happen.

So, I guess my question really is (or a two-part question), when and/or if UNC, Pembroke is ready for expansion, would G Phi B automatically be invited? would ASA? Or would they hold presentations all over again?

The edit button has become my new best friend
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
I have a question for the experts out there, cause I'm not one...

In looking at past expansion news and all the planned stacked expansions in the future, some as far out as 2019...I think this is a relevant question...

What happens if a school is not "viable" for their future planned stacked expansion? For example, back in 2008, UNC, Pembroke after inviting Kappa Delta to colonize in 2008, announced that they planned to have Gamma Phi Beta come on campus in 2010 and Alpha Sigma Alpha in 2011... obviously that did happen.

So, I guess my question really is (or a two-part question), when and/or if UNC, Pembroke is ready for expansion, would G Phi B automatically be invited? would ASA? Or would they hold presentations all over again?
The way that I understand it, one major purpose of stacking is to avoid having to go through the whole presentation process again when the campus is ready for future expansion. That being said, the local Panhellenic can't force an org to colonize if the group no longer wants to/it isn't in their best interests.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

I think that if planned extension does not go thru due to campus viability, the sorority that had been invited to colonize would have first dibs when the campus dynamics changed if the sorority was still interested. And as Irishpipes said, the sorority can always choose not to colonize.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember the exact details of the announcement...but I do remember reading the announcement in one of our on-line bulletins that Gamma Phi had decided not to colonize at UNC-Pembroke. My interpretation is that our interest/stake was withdrawn; I don't think we still have a spot in line. There was a brief explanation, but it's been a while. It was something along the lines of interest being lower than had been anticipated.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriana View Post
This may sound like an odd question, but why do some groups have 3+ colonizations per year, while other groups seem to have none? Is it because some groups are not looking to expand?
It may also be that many of the groups not expanding are already at the universities that are open for expansion.

If you take AOII for instance, we have a clear expansion plan to move west and into New England. There are a few chapters that we have our eyes on for re-colonization that are not in those areas, but the vast majority of our recent growth has been to this end. Each colony we take on is with the understanding that the fraternity can fully support the group during the five years of its colony status. That takes a lot of resources.

Other GLOs likely have plans of their own. The type of campus, location in the country they want to focus, the number of alums available in an area to support a chapter, whether the chapter will need to be housed, cost of housing, availability of land, prior commitments all come into play when deciding whether to apply for extension. Some groups are more conservative in their approach and wait for the one or two plum campuses of the year on which to focus, and they likely can because of the large number of open chapters already in existence for these groups. They can be more selective because they already have chapters everywhere and have no problems with name recognition.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Carnegie Mellon University held their Greek Banquet last night. At the banquet it was announced that Alpha Phi was invited to colonize. Best wishes for the new colony.
Congrats to Alpha Phi!

Per the Santa Clara Panhellenic's Twitter, Gamma Phi presented last Friday.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I didn't realize AGD was colonizing at both locations. Interesting.
Por que?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
Por que?
Because I found it interesting.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL!!:

I just busted out laughing!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How exciting!! That makes 3 colonies for the upcoming school year. SUNY Geneseo, Southern Indiana, and Gustavus Adolphus. I know we presented at other schools. Do you know of any other colonizations for us next year?
Well, I had read this not too long ago, about the sorority bumping the number of educational consultants for the next academic school year from 4 ECs up to 6, due to the 4 colonies that will need help and support. I'm wondering where the last one will be...

http://www.alphasigmatau.org/news-an...-for-2012-2013

P.s. My chapter sister, Justina Solties, is the EC in the pic on the far left. This will be her second year in the position. So happy for her!

@~/~~~~
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Well, I had read this not too long ago, about the sorority bumping the number of educational consultants for the next academic school year from 4 ECs up to 6, due to the 4 colonies that will need help and support. I'm wondering where the last one will be...

http://www.alphasigmatau.org/news-an...-for-2012-2013

P.s. My chapter sister, Justina Solties, is the EC in the pic on the far left. This will be her second year in the position. So happy for her!
Ooh! So there is a fourth. I wonder when they'll be announcing where. I thought I remembered us presenting at a Rhode Island school.

Justina is your chapter sister?! You are so lucky. She is awesome and I love her. She is my chapter's EC and I can't wait to see her in the fall. She is so good at what she does. She kind of inspired me to want to be an EC. I graduate in December, so we'll see what happens
Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
Beta Theta Pi Fraternity chosen to join the campus community at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) next year.

Article below
http://www.golocalworcester.com/news...campus-at-wpi/
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM

http://www.tnhonline.com/tke-reinsta...9#.T6WY-MjNnpM

Tau Kappa Epsilon at the University of New Hampshire has been reinstated on campus. The chapter went through a membership review this year, dropping from 60 to less than 30.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ooh! So there is a fourth. I wonder when they'll be announcing where. I thought I remembered us presenting at a Rhode Island school.

Justina is your chapter sister?! You are so lucky. She is awesome and I love her. She is my chapter's EC and I can't wait to see her in the fall. She is so good at what she does. She kind of inspired me to want to be an EC. I graduate in December, so we'll see what happens
It was announced earlier this year that AST was selected at Iona College. No news on whether or not they accepted for the fall.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Tau was never extended an invitation to Iona College.