GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,311
3 members and 2,308 guests
flamboyanttree, naraht, Xidelt

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I knew of one girl whose grandfather was an extremely FAMOUS legal type and her Mom was in one of the "Big 6" at UT. She went down to roundup and passed out in a fraternity house, so trashed that she wet her pants while passed out.

It was such a big deal she ended up not even going to UT. Her Mom never understood why she insisted that she didn't want to go to Austin. We were all afraid to tell her and she never found out.
The stuff that legends are made of ...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
The stuff that legends are made of ...
Stuff like that happens all the time. Although planning to attend just the sorority functions is a good plan, once you're on campus and see how epic the parties are and have all kinds of girls (and obviously guys) urging you to go, it's very hard to say no.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't all throw stones, fruit or other virtual objects at me, but, what happened to looking out for each other? Regardless of what chapter we are a member of, let alone a member at all?

Color me Pollyanna, not being from Texas and understanding all of the culture, but perhaps if someone had noticed that said aforementioned connected legacy was in such terrible shape, took the extra time to look out for her and get her to a safe place, then this poor thing would not have occurred. Isn't that what sisterhood and Panhellenic spirit is all about? Looking out for each other in good times and bad. Please tell me that Panhellenic would not have frowned upon such an act or considered it dirty rushing. We all have stories to tell of either ourselves or our sisters who drank too much and did something less than eloquent but they got taken care of. Instead of feeling ashamed, think of what that woman would have seen if someone had made the simple effort to take care of her; the true meaning of sisterhood. Oh, and if word did around campus about the sisters/chapter who helped her, I would only hope that it would boast their reputation to be caring, warm, strong and dependable instead of the ones who helped "that drunk girl."

Time to get off of my soapbox...
Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM

You would have to assume that she was being accompanied by anyone who knew her on sight to know she was a legacy (not that that should matter). Her MOM went there, not her sister. Plus you have to remember you can't swing a dead flea without hitting a legacy at Texas.

As someone who remembers wet fraternity rush, the fact is, LOTS of guys showed up who had absolutely NO intention of pledging a fraternity - they were there for the free booze, food and girls. I'm sure there are plenty of people (male and female) at Roundup parties doing exactly the same thing.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I did not say that her sister went there nor her mother.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You would have to assume that she was being accompanied by anyone who knew her on sight to know she was a legacy (not that that should matter). Her MOM went there, not her sister. Plus you have to remember you can't swing a dead flea without hitting a legacy at Texas.

As someone who remembers wet fraternity rush, the fact is, LOTS of guys showed up who had absolutely NO intention of pledging a fraternity - they were there for the free booze, food and girls. I'm sure there are plenty of people (male and female) at Roundup parties doing exactly the same thing.
hence the wristband thing. So you have to talk to someone and they can decide if they're willing to give you a band or not. And then not all the events are really wide open just because you have a band, or at least most of them have a VIP where the real business gets done.

As far as someone taking care of the girl, I guess that would be nice, but you have to remember this is not a small tight knit community you're talking about. It's over 50k students & the sororities are some of the biggest chapters in the country. Literally girls don't know all their sorority sisters, much less some random girl.

And, UT has a different system than I've seen anywhere else. It's all west campus (walking distance). So, black outs are pretty routine. Sororities do pledge class mixers every week that are all about getting smashed at fraternity houses (contrary to NPC rules). There's parties there with thousands of people in them. They have their system to keep things relatively safe, and I wouldn't necessarily say the parties are better than some other places, but I do think they tend to be a bit drunker than most places.

Still, far as being a guy or girl considering rush and deciding to go or not, I lean toward going. Absolutely you can make a fool of yourself & harm your chances, but you can also make a good impression. The difference is mostly self-control & maybe some luck. I'd rather take my chances than not. If you're going to be a fool in social situations, that's going to come out later anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnall View Post
Sororities do pledge class mixers every week that are all about getting smashed at fraternity houses (contrary to NPC rules).
So the national organizations of these UT chapters are just ignoring the obvious because... it is Texas? Some other reason?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
hence the wristband thing. So you have to talk to someone and they can decide if they're willing to give you a band or not. And then not all the events are really wide open just because you have a band, or at least most of them have a VIP where the real business gets done.

As far as someone taking care of the girl, I guess that would be nice, but you have to remember this is not a small tight knit community you're talking about. It's over 50k students & the sororities are some of the biggest chapters in the country. Literally girls don't know all their sorority sisters, much less some random girl.

And, UT has a different system than I've seen anywhere else. It's all west campus (walking distance). So, black outs are pretty routine. Sororities do pledge class mixers every week that are all about getting smashed at fraternity houses (contrary to NPC rules). There's parties there with thousands of people in them. They have their system to keep things relatively safe, and I wouldn't necessarily say the parties are better than some other places, but I do think they tend to be a bit drunker than most places.

Still, far as being a guy or girl considering rush and deciding to go or not, I lean toward going. Absolutely you can make a fool of yourself & harm your chances, but you can also make a good impression. The difference is mostly self-control & maybe some luck. I'd rather take my chances than not. If you're going to be a fool in social situations, that's going to come out later anyway.
You have no idea what you're talking about. You are not and never have been a UT student. You are not a sorority member, much less one at UT. You need to step away from the keyboard because there are so many factual errors in your post, I don't even know where to start.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. You are not and never have been a UT student. You are not a sorority member, much less one at UT. You need to step away from the keyboard because there are so many factual errors in your post, I don't even know where to start.
WORD.

I am sitting in the bleachers where I belong; this is a Texas thread. I do appreciate what you said, although I fear it will fall on deaf ears.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Actually, I was a UT student though I ultimately got my degree elsewhere.

It has been some time since I was in school, I have rotated through adviser, housing corp, and national officer positions since then, including for UT. I have been to events there as recently as last semester. Of course I've never been in a sorority, but I do know several girls that are current actives at UT. I'm not as well versed as maybe a current fraternity officer, but I feel like I have a decent handle on what's going on.

I'm not trying to pick an argument. I'm open to correction, but I also stand by what I said. If we can have a calm discussion of the facts, that seems like it would be more helpful for anyone reading it.

If you can tell me what you found fatally flawed, I can try to clear up any misunderstanding in the way I said it. Or if I 'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit that too.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I knew of one girl whose grandfather was an extremely FAMOUS legal type and her Mom was in one of the "Big 6" at UT. She went down to roundup and passed out in a fraternity house, so trashed that she wet her pants while passed out.
Hence my disclaimer of "no preclivity for wild behavior, and the wish for a successful rush".

A major part of attending round up events, whether you are a guy or a girl, is knowing that you are being observed. If you act like an embarrassment to yourself, nobody is going to want you to be an embarrassment to their organization - so don't act like a drunk fool or an obnoxious creeper.

That also goes for posting bad pictures on facebook, making outrageous wall posts, etc.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, I was a UT student though I ultimately got my degree elsewhere.

It has been some time since I was in school, I have rotated through adviser, housing corp, and national officer positions since then, including for UT. I have been to events there as recently as last semester. Of course I've never been in a sorority, but I do know several girls that are current actives at UT. I'm not as well versed as maybe a current fraternity officer, but I feel like I have a decent handle on what's going on.

I'm not trying to pick an argument. I'm open to correction, but I also stand by what I said. If we can have a calm discussion of the facts, that seems like it would be more helpful for anyone reading it.

If you can tell me what you found fatally flawed, I can try to clear up any misunderstanding in the way I said it. Or if I 'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit that too.
Quote:

So basically you're a long graduated SWT alum who claims his source is a couple of active sorority girls. Awesome that you're able to spout your expertise here based on a bunch of hearsay. Since you insist, I will tell you exactly what items in your post are untruths, but really, Carnation ought to be deleting your posts because once again you are publicly libeling an entire Greek system, but in particular the sororities.

Quote:
VIP where the real business gets done.
Quote:
this is not a small tight knit community you're talking about.
Quote:
the sororities are some of the biggest chapters in the country. Literally girls don't know all their sorority sisters
Quote:
It's all west campus
Quote:
So, black outs are pretty routine.
Quote:
Sororities do pledge class mixers every week that are all about getting smashed at fraternity houses (contrary to NPC rules).
Quote:
I do think they tend to be a bit drunker than most places.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a boy in the girl lane? Where is the State Patrol when you need one?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightisgreat View Post
Is there a boy in the girl lane? Where is the State Patrol when you need one?
He did ok in the girl lane before and I told him so. My bad. Apparently his head has swelled like Peter Brady's after he prevented an accident.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

It is all 33girl's fault.

I am more humored by his saying he's open to correction, and he stands by what he says, but he'd be happy to admit if he's wrong. Confusion.