GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,129
0 members and 2,129 guests
No Members online

Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

DBB, I don't know. For some girls hearing that would be a turn off, but for others the honesty would be refreshing. I fall into the latter group, but I can definitely see how some people would find it too self-effacing.

Also, this thread is hilarious.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
DBB, I don't know. For some girls hearing that would be a turn off, but for others the honesty would be refreshing. I fall into the latter group, but I can definitely see how some people would find it too self-effacing.
It's less that she says the sororities are all great, and more that she tells saxy to "find what's best for her". If you don't tell a PNM that you want her, how will she know you want her?

Of course, it's only one snippet of the conversation, but you don't want to be telling a PNM "I hope you make a choice you are happy with" if the other group is telling her "I really hope you choose XYZ".
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Eh, from the account given, she said several times that she loves saxywalrus, so I don't think it's an issue. I kind of like that she's not pressuring her. I think this is one of the things I dislike about rush (and obviously this rusher really has issues with rush) -- the pushy salesman approach so many girls take. I really hate pushy salespeople. I think this is one of those situations where the approach will work for some and not others -- it sounds like SW appreciated it, and it made her like Flash more than she expected to.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Eh, from the account given, she said several times that she loves saxywalrus, so I don't think it's an issue. I kind of like that she's not pressuring her. I think this is one of the things I dislike about rush (and obviously this rusher really has issues with rush) -- the pushy salesman approach so many girls take. I really hate pushy salespeople. I think this is one of those situations where the approach will work for some and not others -- it sounds like SW appreciated it, and it made her like Flash more than she expected to.
All of this.
This this this.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a big FAIL on the part of the rusher?
Well, it depends.

Saying it with a look on your face like the teacher who's reading the instructions for standardized tests: fail.

Saying it with big puppy dog eyes that may or may not have a tear dripping slowly out of them: winning.

There's a way to convey that you have love for all your Greek sisters in the other sororities and that the PNM's world won't end if she doesn't get a bid to your group, without actually pushing her to the other group by making it seem like you don't give a shit. It also depends where Flash is on the popularity totem pole. If they're one of the groups with the highest retention rates and always make quota and total, to do this is a very nice and caring thing because you know you're not going to be able to take everyone who wants you. If they are on the lower end of the pole, however...this is kind of honest to the point of shooting yourself in the foot. Especially seeing as ultimately, saxywalrus listed the other group first.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
no-how did i miss that one? come back saxywalrus!
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=kissed
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It also depends where Flash is on the popularity totem pole. If they're one of the groups with the highest retention rates and always make quota and total, to do this is a very nice and caring thing because you know you're not going to be able to take everyone who wants you. If they are on the lower end of the pole, however...this is kind of honest to the point of shooting yourself in the foot. Especially seeing as ultimately, saxywalrus listed the other group first.
Ah, good perspective.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's less that she says the sororities are all great, and more that she tells saxy to "find what's best for her". If you don't tell a PNM that you want her, how will she know you want her?
Quote:

Of course, it's only one snippet of the conversation, but you don't want to be telling a PNM "I hope you make a choice you are happy with" if the other group is telling her "I really hope you choose XYZ".
Ok, this makes more sense. When you originally said this…

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks this is a big FAIL on the part of the rusher?

… I thought you meant that it was a rush infraction.

That being said, I completely agree with angels&angles in this case.

Quote:

I think that this is the best approach, especially when you’re friends to begin with. Pressuring (and I use that term loosely) a friend into joining your chapter can be stressful on the PNM. If I was a PNM and my friend was talking to me during Pref, and she kept going on and on about how much she wanted me to join her chapter, I’d feel AWFUL if I had my heart set somewhere else. I might feel like I HAVE to list her chapter first, or I might be afraid that she’ll hate me if I don’t.

And even if the sister wasn’t her friend, what’s the harm in telling someone, “I’d love it if you joined my chapter, but you have to do what’s best for you.”? Isn’t that what it's all about?

Plus, by Pref round, I would assume that the chapter wanted me to be a sister… otherwise, I wouldn’t have made it that far. The pushy salesman approach would be a complete turnoff to me at this point, as I’m sure it would for a lot of other people.

And what’s worse than hearing from a sister, “I’d love for you to be an ABC!” only to find out on bid day that you received a bid from your #2 choice, rather than #1 where you figured you were guaranteed to get a bid, because one girl told you she’d love for you to be her sister?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 05-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to pop in and say that these expressed my views on the subject pretty much exactly:

Quote:
I also dislike pushy salespeople and yes, this did make me like Flash so much more than I had thought I would because it made me perceive Iris West and her sisters as honest and genuine people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
And even if the sister wasn’t her friend, what’s the harm in telling someone, “I’d love it if you joined my chapter, but you have to do what’s best for you.”? Isn’t that what it's all about?

Plus, by Pref round, I would assume that the chapter wanted me to be a sister… otherwise, I wouldn’t have made it that far. The pushy salesman approach would be a complete turnoff to me at this point, as I’m sure it would for a lot of other people.
Totally agreed! I definitely would've been thrown off by her remarks if it had been an earlier round but by pref I realized that they at least had to want me a little bit if they kept asking me back.

Okay. Back to writing the ending!

(And thanks to you all for sticking with this! So far it's almost 12 pages on Word...that's a lot to read! )
Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxywalrus View Post
I just wanted to pop in and say that these expressed my views on the subject pretty much exactly:

I also dislike pushy salespeople and yes, this did make me like Flash so much more than I had thought I would because it made me perceive Iris West and her sisters as honest and genuine people.

Totally agreed! I definitely would've been thrown off by her remarks if it had been an earlier round but by pref I realized that they at least had to want me a little bit if they kept asking me back.

Okay. Back to writing the ending!

(And thanks to you all for sticking with this! So far it's almost 12 pages on Word...that's a lot to read! )
LOL! Did you have to save the world before getting your bid?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

Tick.

The clock’s hands inched forward.

It was time.

Well, almost.

Almost being that it was currently 6:43am and bid day events started at 2pm. That was close enough, thought saxywalrus. Maybe she should get there early. After all, a true hero is always punctual. Besides, saxywalrus reasoned, it sucked being trapped in the Fortress of Solitude with only her thoughts to comfort her. Because her thoughts weren’t comforting at all.

She suspected that this might be the product of a sinister alliance between The Scarecrow and Mr. Mxyzptlk. Mr. Mxyzptlk, she decided, had returned from the Fifth Dimension and used his powers to slow time to frustrate saxywalrus, while The Scarecrow used his terrible toxins to instill a sense of fear in her and cause her to repeatedly visualize her fears about how bid day would turn out. It was obvious that this all was just a ploy to stop saxywalrus from becoming the superheroine she was destined to be and make her unable to save the universe from utter destruction at the hands of evil.

Although she suspected this plot, she was unable to fight it. However, there was a slight glimmer of hope in the fact that her RG, the Girl Wonder, had told her that PNMs would hear from the RGs by 11am if they had not received a bid. This would come in the form of a phone call would be accompanied by a personal visit.

Tick.

6:44.

This was going to be a long few hours.

Time passed.

It was 8:56. Saxywalrus had spent the past few hours staring at the clock and attempting to develop the power of being able to influence the space-time continuum through using telekinesis on the clock when suddenly a knock on her door shook her out of her intense concentration.

Nervously, she crept to the door to reveal…

Her friend Lois Lane.

Saxywalrus breathed a temporary sigh of relief.

Saxy”, uttered Lois in a strained tone, “I can’t sleep. I’m going crazy. Is it okay if I come hang out with you and your roommate, Robin for awhile?

Naturally, saxywalrus agreed that this would be okay.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to how pref had gone. It turned out that Lois had suicided for Wonder Woman because she did not like how pref at Aquaman had gone, while Robin had only been invited back to Flash.

The three sat together, waiting for the dreaded 11am to come. They hardly spoke and an air of moroseness filled the tiny room.

Tick.

11am came and went and the three breathed a sigh of relief. Saxywalrus now knew that she had received a bid to somewhere. She was going to become a superheroine today. The only question that remained was which superhero she was going to become, and she truly had no idea.

Tick.

Eventually, it was almost 2pm. It was clear that The Justice League had managed to send The Scarecrow and Mr. Mxyzptlk back to Arkham Asylum and the 5th dimension respectively. Finally, the RGs and the leaders of the Justice League would be roped under the Lasso of Truth and forced to finally reveal the real identity of Saxywalrus. She got ready and joined Lois, who was wearing an outfit in the colors of Wonder Woman, and Robin, who was wearing a Flash colored sweatshirt. The three headed for the Hall of Justice together, with Saxywalrus knowing that soon, she too would be sporting an outfit in one of these colors.

They arrived at the Hall, where they were forced like any great hero to endure painstaking trials that tested their very souls. In other words, they received their bid when they walked in the door but weren’t allowed to open it for a really long time and had to do silly things like stand on top of it and worse, abandon it for two minutes while a group picture of all the rushees was taken. True tests of will.

Finally, the Greek advisor gave the signal. Naturally, all hell broke loose as the room was filled with the sounds of ripping envelopes and screaming girls.

Lois and Robin stood on either side of saxywalrus.

“Well?”

Saxywalrus slowly tore open the envelope, which revealed that her new superheroine identity was…

Wonder Woman.

Great Caesar’s Ghost! After the bad jokes, the strangely placed pop culture references, and even the winking, she had been destined to be a Wonder Woman. She was awkward, she was slightly nerdy, and she had the tendency to ramble on a lot, but Wonder Woman loved her anyways. Saxywalrus was so shocked that things had turned out this well that she had to read the bid three or four times to make sure that this wasn’t Bizarro World and that this was really happening.

Then she remembered that she was supposed to be screaming and hugging Lois. Which she did. Then she screamed some more hugged all of the other girls in the Wonder Woman group, and together they took off flying across the campus to meet their new sisters in…

KAPPA DELTA. The women of KD are truly wonder-women to saxywalrus and her first semester as a KD has been, in every sense of the word, super.

THE END.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super cool to have you as a sister! I hope that your time in KD is wonderful!

<3 in AOT <3
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

saxywalrus - This was such a great recruitment thread! Thank you for sharing it, and I am so glad we are sisters! Congrats on finding your home in our KD!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

AWESOME recruitment thread! Congrats on KD and Farmville Four love to ya!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you and KD! Enjoy your new sisterhood