GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,214
0 members and 1,214 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2001, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the suspense. I couldn't figure out how to log back in.

Yes I went to the University of Maryland! Good guess!

I ended up transferring to a school farther down south and pledge ZTA.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-28-2001, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by kimmykimmy
Sorry for the suspense. I couldn't figure out how to log back in.

Yes I went to the University of Maryland! Good guess!

I ended up transferring to a school farther down south and pledge ZTA.
Which chapter of ZTA?

Welcome to Greekchat, sister!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I am so confused as to how these boards work! But I think I figured it out.

Would you mind if I didn't say which chapter of ZTA I was in? It may sound stupid but this secret that I have kept since my rushing days I would like to keep and telling you what chapter would give my identity away.

I know it sounds stupid especially since I am 30+ years old but I really would like to keep this secret to myself. Even after all these years I guess I am still scarred from my rushing days.

HOWEVER, I LOVED Zeta and my school and my friends and had a great experience and LOVED being in a sorority very very very much.

And, again for keeping people in suspense. I really didn't mean to play games with everyone. I simply couldn't figure out how to log back in. I realized that my member ID number (or whatever it is called) is NOT the same as my password.

Thanks guys!

And, thanks for welcoming me to the board. It's been interesting reading all the posts!
Old 09-28-2001, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm putting off the house cleaning so here goes...Once upon a time (a very long time ago).

The summer after graduation, I was going to teas with a lot of "old ladies" standing around asking us about future plans. I had heard these names, but had only met one or two through my Grandmother. I only recently came to realize that these ladies were the ones to write the recs. There were several girls who appeared much older than me as well. I was the only one going to my University, so I guess I was the best they could offer from my city. I did have a great resume, grades etc.
The sororities were AXO, Chi-O, DZ, DG, ZTA and Phi Mu. What I remember most was our Rho Chi putting us into cars and attending parties in River Oaks and off Memorial Dr. Many girls were judging the sororities by the houses. No competition in this rush that I could see, but then I was like, sure I'll go through rush, no special clothes, no thought, just an "I've got nothing better to do attitude." I cut Phi Mu and DZ because somebody said Phi Moo and DZ (at that time- to an innocent) looked
a little too "experienced". I can't remember how it all went, I just
know I was never cut. DG's were all blond and had big boobs so I didn't like them.(Not to mention I thought having a doll for a mascot was dumb) and Chi-O had a stupid owl and I didn't like their pin. My sister was pushing me to go ZTA- they were all her friends (yes DIRTY RUSH LOL) AXO had a beautiful pin and the girls were really classy, sophisticated. My pref was with ZTA and AXO. I don't think we went to three. If we did, the other would have been Chi-O. I cried at both prefs, AXO put the president on me and my future big sis. My Rho Chi was a ZTA and I can picture her perfectly.One thing I know, I could have been just as happy with ZTA. Now, a short story. The first chapter meeting we were told to sit on the floor. I looked around and noticed a little white pill. I held it up and said "Uh-oh, somebody dropped their medicine." You never saw so many purses jerked open and faces go pale, or heard so many whispers. I HAD NO IDEA. My future big explained it all.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, the mysterious sorority has finally been reveled
Very cute story.... just goes to show that we can all be naive in our youth. Is that common in the South, getting together with a bunch of women in order for them to write you recs?
Old 09-28-2001, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

good story justamom!

Speaking of being naive, when I went through Rush as a freshman, I looked through the Greek View Book and decided immediately that I wanted to be an Alpha Delta Pi because it had three Greek letters and the other sororities on campus (Phi Mu and Delta Zeta) only had two!

Of course, after the first couple of rounds I realized that my original idea was completely irrational. Thank goodness - because I would have missed out on all of my wonderful DZ experiences! Funny thing was that I spoke to one of my pledge sisters last year (7 years after our Rush) and she told me that she had originally decided she was going ADPi for the exact same reason! haha
Old 09-28-2001, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Re: It happened a long time ago

kimmy--

I advise you to go read www.terpidiots.com if you've never visited. I could tell immediately you went to UMD from your list of sororities. Those opinions on sororities have shifted slightly...ok, not so slightly.

Check it out
Old 09-28-2001, 05:40 PM

Here's what happened on my Day Three through Day Five way back in the day :

Day Three:
Well, KD dropped me which did not come as a shock. I could only go back to three so I dropped Pi Phi.
ADPi: They had a cute baseball theme. The girls seemed really excited about their sisterhood. The girl who rushed me was so cute!
Zeta: I like it here more every time I visit! Their video was awesome! All the girls who rushed me were so awesome because it wasn’t same the same questions like, “What’s your major?” We talked about American Pie and how great it was and Dawson’s Creek.
Chi O: I really didn’t get a good vibe from the house after the video. At Zeta and ADPi, the girls were crying and singing with the video. They were kinda mute here and then, at certain times, they would cheer. Everything just seemed so staged.

Day Four:
I got asked back to all three. I now had to make the decision on who to pref. I very easily chose ADPi and Zeta.
ADPi: The girl who preffed me is the same one who rushed me on the first day. She is so sweet but I don’t know if I could see myself here. I would be happy but I don’t think I’d feel 100% comfortable. The pref ceremony was beautiful, though. I think the girl pretty much knew that I wasn’t going to go ADPi.
Zeta: My friend from high school preffed me. She asked me, “So, I want to know what you’re thinking. Do you like it here?” She had such a worried look on her face. I decided to mess with her a little. “Well, ADPi had such a good pref ceremony,” I said. Her face totally fell. Then I said, “It doesn’t even compare to here. I want to be a Zeta.” She jumped up and hugged me. “Everyone here was so worried. We all want you here so bad!” she said. I was so excited. I walked out of the Zeta house with a huge smile on my face.
My friends all spent hours agonizing over who to put first, second, and third. It’s so weird because in HS we all said that we’d all join the same sorority but we realized that we are all so different. Two of my friends put Tri-Delta first, another put KD first, and another put ADPi first. I put Zeta first, ADPi second, and Chi O third. I am now crossing my fingers!!!!

Day Five:
My Rho Chi had us sit there for 30 minutes before she would hand out our bid cards. I was soooo nervous. I started shaking. Girls were talking about how some girls in our group had not been bidded by anyone and had received the dreaded phone call last night. I knew that if I was in this room, I definitely had a bid from somewhere. One of the girls in my group started talking about how her older sister ended up with her second choice but it actually turned out to be for the better. If I ended up as an ADPi, I wouldn’t mind but I really wanted Zeta! My Rho Chi called us all up one by one. Each girl opened her bid card in front of everyone. There was lots of excitement and lots of tears. My Rho Chi called me up. I was shaking and all eyes were on me. I opened up my card and saw Zeta Tau Alpha. I screamed. I was so happy! I was disappointed that my Rho Chi wasn’t a Zeta. She was really awesome and I would’ve loved her to be one of my sisters (she was an ADPi). I am so happy to be a Zeta!

Sidenote: All my friends ended up in the sororities of their choice which means I have friends in Tri-Delta, KD, and ADPi (and friends in other sororities too!). To all the girls out there right now who are thinking of rushing and are going through with friends: don't worry so much about getting into the same sorority as your friend! If your friendship is really that strong then you'll still remain friends even if you don't end up as sisters. I actually think I'm better friends with these girls now! In fact, my two roommates are the friends of mine who both went Tri-Delta.
Old 09-28-2001, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

ZTAngel, that was a fantastic rush story! And you were mean to spread it out over a few days! I was sitting on the edge of my chair even though I knew you got Zeta!
Old 09-28-2001, 06:10 PM

I just figured that all the girls got to keep us on the edge of our seats for the past month with their rush stories. So, I wanted my turn!!!
Old 09-28-2001, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush in the South

Just A Mom....I see you are from Houston (River Oaks and Memorial gave you away). I am from Houston also, but from the northwest outskirts, so I was not in the "River Oaks scene". I am a DG..blond, boobs regular, lol. I went to TCU...where did you go?
I went through rush with much the same attitude you did, and get not get many cuts, and got my first choice. I did attend the alum teas on Christmas break I remember. And I remember my mother's friends calling and asking about rec's.
Iowa Hawkeye....I don't know if the process of looking over the girls before rush is common but it used to be in the South. I live in California now and people don't even know what rec's are.
Anyway, I now have a Zeta at SWT and she loves it.
Susan
Old 09-28-2001, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Now, a short story. The first chapter meeting we were told to sit on the floor. I looked around and noticed a little white pill. I held it up and said "Uh-oh, somebody dropped their medicine." You never saw so many purses jerked open and faces go pale, or heard so many whispers. I HAD NO IDEA. My future big explained it all.
justamom-

ok, i think i am stupid...i have no idea what you are referring to! i have been trying to figure it out by rereading it over and over but still have no clue!

please enlighten me!

AX love,
cash78mere
Old 09-28-2001, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

I thought she meant THE PILL but I could be wrong! Dropping one would've been a major humiliation in the South in the early seventies!
Old 09-28-2001, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

carnation-

thanks! i was just getting ready for bed when it just hit me what she meant. and then i saw your reply and realized i was right. talk about being clueless and naiive (sp?)
Old 09-29-2001, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

The rush parties were all held in the homes of alums who lived in Houston-I graduated from Corpus. AXO was the only soro that had a house you could live in, but there weren't any rush parties there. The bigger the "mansion" the more impressed the girls were at the start of rounds.

The little white pill was a BCP. Only a "flower child" was thought to use/need a BCP, certainly NOT a sorority girl. lol I didn't know what one looked like-heck I didn't know what the male counter part looked like either. So much for "Health Class" in the '70's...

I didn't know the purpose behind the teas until I started adding it up. It was MY mother who verified it. We had many girls going to UT, Tech and A&M where they did need recs.

In retrospect, I wish the Greek system had been stronger at UofH.
(The highlight each year was Derby Days) When I read posts about campuses that have a weak system I know a lot of us can relate to their feelings.