GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,205
4 members and 2,201 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 11-09-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I can't speak for TPA, but I know back when Noah was building the ark and I was pledging, we stopped labeling the colonies with what would be the next chapter name because some weren't coming to fruition and we didn't want to have a gap. <snip>

As far as AEPhi is concerned, I think it's probably a little different because many of their colonies specifically want a historically Jewish sorority.
- LOL @ "when Noah was building the ark" - I don't think the greek system has been around quite that long

- AEPhi doesn't give Greek-letter chapter designations until the chapter is chartered (unless, of course, it's a recolonization, in which case the chapter gets its original designation back). My initiation certificate reads "MIT Colony" where a chapter designation would go.

- Your point about AEPhi initiating colony members is probably correct. An up side is that, even if the colony is never chartered, its members can enjoy all the privileges of alumnae, such as their sisters/daughters/granddaughters being considered legacies.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OPA does the chartering and member initiation in one ceremony, too. Since the chartering part comes first, we technically have a new chapter with zero members... for a few minutes.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Omega.

(Noting that APO, GSS and OPA are not NPC/NPHC)...

I've seen charterings where the initiation is 2 in the afternoon and the actual charter presentation is after an evening banquet at say 7:30 or 8.

We did have a "lost chapter" name. Even though the chapter name is assigned by the National Office *after* the National Board has decided to grant the charter, Phi Omicron chapter at Ferrum College went wierd.

When an extension effort in the late 1990s started at Ferrum, it was noted that there had previously been a chapter there: Phi Omicron. However the more that the poeple at rechartering effort investigated, the more confused they got. Eventually they discovered that even though the board had granted the charter, the chapter had never had actually had the chartering ceremony.

So the National Fraternity changed things so that when the group was ready, they *chartered* rather than *rechartered*. The 2001 group got the charter with their names on it rather than a charter with the 1970 group names on it and a rechartering document with the 2001 group's names.

They did track down some of the 1970s group and make them honorary members, I believe...

Last edited by naraht; 11-10-2015 at 09:31 PM.