GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,204
1 members and 1,203 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpnm View Post
I pledged Phi Mu as well!
Congrats to you both, and welcome!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Theta Bid Day 2013

I don't think everyone was on the lawn at this point, but this is the majority of the New Members with some Collegians mixed in the pic. Sorry couldn't find a linkable photo, but at least it's a link to a photo

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 10-07-2013 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Having trouble find a picture link
Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCdad View Post
I just want to thank everyone who was (unknowingly) a big part of my daughter's rush experience. Coming from NYC, neither one of us knew what to expect from this process and this thread was an incredibly valuable resource.

I know how much her decision to attend Ole Miss was tied to her desire to be in a sorority and really get that full experience of attending a big, traditional, Southern school. So I am excited to share that there's a little bit of Manhattan coming to the Theta house. And I am especially proud that she found her new home (away from home).

Thanks y'all.
NYCDad... YEAH!!! Thank you for coming out of lurkdom with this great post!! SO excited to hear that GC helped, and especially excited to hear about a Theta pledge :-) She is a member of a fantastic pledge class!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, NYCdad!! Great chapter to join!! All the houses at Ole Miss are wonderful! And your daughter's chapter happened to get the largest pledge class!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, NYCdad!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCdad View Post
I just want to thank everyone who was (unknowingly) a big part of my daughter's rush experience. Coming from NYC, neither one of us knew what to expect from this process and this thread was an incredibly valuable resource.

I know how much her decision to attend Ole Miss was tied to her desire to be in a sorority and really get that full experience of attending a big, traditional, Southern school. So I am excited to share that there's a little bit of Manhattan coming to the Theta house. And I am especially proud that she found her new home (away from home).

Thanks y'all.
Welcome!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm wishes about my DD's KD bid. She was thrilled. I have to say that she had an overall positive recruitment experience.

I had lots of time to think about the weekend's events on my ride home this morning. So glad I went...

About a month ago, I posted a question in this thread about whether I should go to Oxford for recruitment weekend. I had mixed feelings because I knew I wouldn't be able to see my DD much and I didn't want to be one of THOSE HELICOPTER moms. I asked DD if she wanted me to come and after wavering back and forth, she said yes as it was a month since we last visited -- the longest ever (we're both still getting used to her being gone).

I said I didn't want her to feel stressed about spending time with me, for her to spend time with her friends and I would be ok with just quick visits....but I would also take care of some issues with her vehicle while there.

So I want to thank the mom who answered way back then that she attended her daughter's recruitment weekend with a girlfriend knowing she wouldn't see her DD much, but she enjoyed dinner and shopping on the Square as well as the Bid Day festivities.. That made me feel better about my decision to go!

I went up Saturday and was able to see my DD and her friends before they left for pref night and got a few quick pictures before they left. When she returned I was able to have a late dinner and spent time after pref night with her, then took DD and roomie for breakfast Sunday morning. I followed DD and friends to Lyceum but stayed way back to get pictures of the Circle, then walked toward Grove to get pics of frat boys lined up. I was able to see her run to her new "home" and get more pics of her hugging her sisters. After several pics and a quick hug, I left for her to enjoy her day. We met up again in her dorm later last night where she showed me all of her goodies!

I am very glad I went to share this experience with my DD and am posting this in case anyone comes back and reads this year's thread as they prepare for next year's recruitment (True confession: I read the last half of last year's thread to prepare for recruitment. Anyone else?)

So for any moms of PNMs in future recruitment: if you are able, go and experience this great event in your DD's life. Don't expect to spend every waking moment with her, but there is time to visit with her and calm frayed nerves in between activities. On Bid Day I definitely saw many helicopter moms standing close to DDs in circle, but there were many more moms, dads, and grandparents (Go grannies...many of these ladies looked great and it was so cool seeing multiple generations!!!) all throughout the Circle and Grove all there to support their girls. So you can hover close or stand back, but still participate in her day.

As someone who was not part of a sorority in college, I am so glad I was able to take part in this event with my daughter. She was literally all smiles in all of her pictures with her new sisters! She is genuinely so happy and I can rest assured knowing she has a strong support system there even so many hours from home.

Thanks again to all of you ladies!! Yay for GreekChat!

Last edited by newbierebmom; 10-07-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Newbierebmom

It is post-rush posts like yours and NYCDad's that make alumnae active on GC! Posts like this are what we love to read! Now next year, you have to come back and help us talk PNM parents out of the trees!

Last edited by thetalady; 10-07-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Thetalady!

Oh and BTW, I looked back a few pages and didn't see it, but KD's pledge class has 121 girls. Haven't seen a list yet.

Last edited by newbierebmom; 10-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it's too early to discuss stats, but when all the fairy dust settles, would someone mind posting percentages of how many of the 1,394 pmns who went through recruitment accepted bids, dropped out, etc.? And Good Luck to ADPi for a wonderful recruitment!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu has 122, AOPi has 125, Tri Delt has 119
Old 10-07-2013, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Thank you! I thought it was very cute and original! They even had a café set up inside with coffee (and other treats/food) too! I will try to post pics later today.

I think all of the chapters did very well. Now ADPi starts their colonization process today with Bid Day on Saturday, October 13 in the Grove! It should be fabulous. I have heard lots of buzz about ADPi!
I know there's a whole separate thread on ADPi's colonization, but just wanted to clarify here that their Bid Day is SUNDAY Oct 13, not Saturday.

This Saturday Ole Miss plays Texas A&M at home and there's something else going on in The Grove that day.

Also, good family friend's DD (and friend of my DD) pledged ADPi at USM (Southern Miss). Their chapter is chartering a bus to be there on bid day. She's hoping to catch up with my DD for a few minutes if possible even tho she's not ADPi.

Last edited by newbierebmom; 10-07-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbierebmom View Post
Thanks to everyone for the warm wishes about my DD's KD bid. She was thrilled. I have to say that she had an overall positive recruitment experience.

I had lots of time to think about the weekend's events on my ride home this morning. So glad I went...

About a month ago, I posted a question in this thread about whether I should go to Oxford for recruitment weekend. I had mixed feelings because I knew I wouldn't be able to see my DD much and I didn't want to be one of THOSE HELICOPTER moms. I asked DD if she wanted me to come and after wavering back and forth, she said yes as it was a month since we last visited -- the longest ever (we're both still getting used to her being gone).

I said I didn't want her to feel stressed about spending time with me, for her to spend time with her friends and I would be ok with just quick visits....but I would also take care of some issues with her vehicle while there.

So I want to thank the mom who answered way back then that she attended her daughter's recruitment weekend with a girlfriend knowing she wouldn't see her DD much, but she enjoyed dinner and shopping on the Square as well as the Bid Day festivities.. That made me feel better about my decision to go!

I went up Saturday and was able to see my DD and her friends before they left for pref night and got a few quick pictures before they left. When she returned I was able to have a late dinner and spent time after pref night with her, then took DD and roomie for breakfast Sunday morning. I followed DD and friends to Lyceum but stayed way back to get pictures of the Circle, then walked toward Grove to get pics of frat boys lined up. I was able to see her run to her new "home" and get more pics of her hugging her sisters. After several pics and a quick hug, I left for her to enjoy her day. We met up again in her dorm later last night where she showed me all of her goodies!

I am very glad I went to share this experience with my DD and am posting this in case anyone comes back and reads this year's thread as they prepare for next year's recruitment (True confession: I read the last half of last year's thread to prepare for recruitment. Anyone else?)

So for any moms of PNMs in future recruitment: if you are able, go and experience this great event in your DD's life. Don't expect to spend every waking moment with her, but there is time to visit with her and calm frayed nerves in between activities. On Bid Day I definitely saw many helicopter moms standing close to DDs in circle, but there were many more moms, dads, and grandparents (Go grannies...many of these ladies looked great and it was so cool seeing multiple generations!!!) all throughout the Circle and Grove all there to support their girls. So you can hover close or stand back, but still participate in her day.

As someone who was not part of a sorority in college, I am so glad I was able to take part in this event with my daughter. She was literally all smiles in all of her pictures with her new sisters! She is genuinely so happy and I can rest assured knowing she has a strong support system there even so many hours from home.

Thanks again to all of you ladies!! Yay for GreekChat!
Awwwww...how sweet!
QFP and to say thank YOU!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 10-07-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisLover View Post
I know it's too early to discuss stats, but when all the fairy dust settles, would someone mind posting percentages of how many of the 1,394 pmns who went through recruitment accepted bids, dropped out, etc.? And Good Luck to ADPi for a wonderful recruitment!
I'm still missing numbers for DG, XO, and KKG. However, we know:
KD 121
DDD 119
AOII 125
PM 122
PBP 126
KAT 142

We know everyone took at least quota (117). So if we estimate just over 350 for the 3 missing groups, that would mean roughly 1,110 received bids. (And it's probably a few more than that since I'm sure they all took QAs.)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelpnm View Post
Phi Mu has 122, AOPi has 125, Tri Delt has 119
I think DG got 121, Theta 142? MP can you verify that number for Theta?