GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 805
3 members and 802 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Texas A&M Greek Life Moratorium

"A Crackdown for Texas A&M Greek Life. Sororities and Fraternities are having to scrap their social events and new member activities."

http://www.kbtx.com/news/headlines/G...107859409.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-14-2010, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. This should be interesting...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, since one of the most notorious groups for hazing in this country has long been the A&M Corps of Cadets. I wonder if A&M managed to put the brakes on that.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM

A 2 week moratorium? What's the point? (other than PR)
Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A 2 week moratorium? What's the point? (other than PR)
Probably depends on what happens in those 2 weeks. On the University's side will they la down much more stringent rules (that could be useful or useless YMMV)? On the students' side do they break the prohibition within those 2 weeks or keep their heads down? And then what do they find with the allegations made?

I don't think the 2 weeks is the end of it, I think it's the beginning. If it is all for show and PR it'll just disappear and whatever students were hazing will be worse than ever after the attention is redirected.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Yeah, since one of the most notorious groups for hazing in this country has long been the A&M Corps of Cadets. I wonder if A&M managed to put the brakes on that.

EXACTLY.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree Carnation, complete double standard. I had many friends in the corps and they were hazed to the nth degree but it was acceptable
Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieAXO View Post
I agree Carnation, complete double standard. I had many friends in the corps and they were hazed to the nth degree but it was acceptable
There has always been a double standard for military orgs and I cant say I disagree. Military personal have a much more grave purpose than the social and service aspect of greek life. Texas A&M's corps produces alot of American soliders. Im not saying hazing should be completely tolerated, but if it should the corps should be more tolerated than greek life. I personally know many aggie greeks and my mom was a member of a sorority there so I have a basic understanding of greek life there. just my two cents
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebis View Post
Texas A&M's corps produces alot of American soliders. I'm not saying hazing should be completely tolerated, but if it should the corps should be more tolerated than greek life.
But while they're in school, they're NOT American soldiers. They're in a student organization. One student organization shouldn't get a pass on things that other SOs get shut down for.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

There are a good number of corps members that do not join the military. All of the guys I knew were not interested in going into the military. I don't think that is a valid excuse.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But while they're in school, they're NOT American soldiers. They're in a student organization. One student organization shouldn't get a pass on things that other SOs get shut down for.
I find myself in 100% agreement with this.

Should the same go for the hazing at The Citadel and VMI although these are "Military Schools"? Should they get a pass.

Not so sure about ROTC as I don't really know enough about their ties to the Armed Forces and what these ties/requirements, if there are any, entail.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Should the same go for the hazing at The Citadel and VMI although these are "Military Schools"? Should they get a pass.
I think that requires being able to distinguish hazing, and other seemingly unecessary rites of passage, from official training procedures. Hazing (in the literal sense used by anti-hazing policies and laws) shouldn't be what prepares these women and men for military service and combat.

However, if the Citadel and VMI have policies and procedures that classify some of these things as nonhazing, that's when we get into the more subjective nature of "hazing." If it isn't defined as hazing, it isn't technically hazing regardless of personal opinions on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Not so sure about ROTC as I don't really know enough about their ties to the Armed Forces and what these ties/requirements, if there are any, entail.
If I recall correctly, students (most? all? some? the ones on ROTC scholarship?) in ROTC have a couple of years of military service after graduation. This is how the government gets back their investment on these students. At least, that's how it was in the 1990s at the universities that I was familiar with.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

If I recall correctly, students (most? all? some? the ones on ROTC scholarship?) in ROTC have a couple of years of military service after graduation. This is how the government gets back their investment on these students. At least, that's how it was in the 1990s at the universities that I was familiar with.
Only a slight correction for technical purposes, they only have to serve if they take the scholarship.

You don't get the scholarship once you sign on the dotted line for ROTC, but when you do get it, it does cover back to when you joined.

I could be wrong though and they were just telling me that so I could sign on the dotted line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
THIS.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

NO - the kind of hazing my friends in the Corps (and especially in the band) had to endure would not be tolerated in the military - it had NOTHING to do with the physical/mental conditioning of soldiers. To be fair to their rival, it is my understanding that the non-Greek "spirit" groups of UT are (or were - I'm ancient) far worse than anything the Greeks dreamt of doing.