GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,251
2 members and 1,249 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Sophmore

Hey all,

I'm new here so firstly i'd like to say whats up to everybody.

My story is as follows. I go to a relatively small school and there isn't much to do here thats fun outside of greek life. I rushed first semester (fall) and didn't get a bid from the fraternity i really wanted to get a bid from but i did get bids from a couple of other fraternities and i decided to go with one that I hadn't spent that much time at but that I had gotten a good feeling about.

I went through pledging and while it was hard and I did get in big trouble several times, I made it to the last week of pledging. on this said week i lied about being somewhere when i was supposed to be else where, and I was depledged from the fraternity. (keep in mind that this is 4 days before initiation)

So, being thoroughly disappointed, I went home for the break keeping an open mind and trying to think of what my options were. I was welcome to rush again for that fraternity but for me to do pledging all over again when all of my pledge brothers would already be brothers really turned me off.

So spring comes around and I decided to take a look at other fraternities and see what might happen. I had a good run in with two in particular and was invited to a lot of events and parties. However, bid day passed and I didn't get a single bid, including from my top two. Both fraternities, including the one that turned me down in the fall keep saying ive been too nice; i guess they think im just kissing ass.

My question is this: did my depledging have something to do with my not receiving bids this semester? the bros asked questions about it and i answered as honestly as i could but ive been trying to move forward. and second: should i rerush the fraternities that turned me down? the only other fraternities are ones that I have spent brief amounts of time at and get the feeling that I really wouldn't fit in there. obviously some guys are really chill but the general feeling is not fitting in. Also in the fraternities i rushed, I've had friends who had been inviting me to rush events and im sure advocating for me, so i just don't get it.

any help anyone could give would be much appreciated; i'm a really friendly guy and i feel like people mistake that for sucking up hardcore but i'm not going to change who i am to be part of a fraternity
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM

^^^The fact that you went practically all the way through pledging with Fraternity A and were kicked out for lying probably has EVERYTHING to do with it.

If you're at a school where the Greek community is small, word gets around that "hey this guy got depledged from Fraternity A, so we don't want him."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-10-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

i know it is a big factor, but i admittedly was having second thoughts throughout a lot of the pledge process. i was definitely the "martyr" of the pledge class so to speak: everything bad that happened happened to me. i had my pledgeship suspended to scare the other pledges after i didn't attend meeting one week cause i was sick. but the fraternity was joining doesn't really have anything to do with the other fraternities around here. since its a small school they are all very different in terms of the people who compose their fraternity so while im sure they thought about it, i dunno if it would have EVERYTHING to do with it
Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 PM

It might have.

I mean, if a fraternity has a choice between say, you and another soph who has NO history with the Greek system, they are typically going to go with the other guy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

im going to be a sophmore next year. this is about freshman year, but i see what you mean. i mean for me there were a lot of other issues involved but i guess another person wouldn't really know
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Okay, if I were a rusher, it wouldn't bother me so much that you had a bad experience at the old fraternity, but it would bother me that you seem to have learned very little from it. I'm not getting a sense of self-awareness from your posts, and it doesn't seem like you are taking any responsibility for what went wrong. If I were a pledgemaster voting on you for the spring class, I'd think that you sound like trouble.