GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,661
1 members and 2,660 guests
ER_Pike

Old 08-21-2022, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face AI Help and Journey

Hey everyone, I need some help or opinions and I wanted to share my story.

When I got into my preteen years/adulthood, I knew I wanted to join a sorority. I craved the support and knowledge from an organization of women that had gone back for generations. This is definitely due to the fact that my mom left my family when I was young, so while everyone around me had their moms to go to for support and advice, I didn't have anyone like that (I had a very small small family with just a single dad).

When I got to college, I sadly wasn't able to rush due to financial constraints and because I had been in an abusive relationship that sucked up my life. Looking back, I'm happy that I didn't rush because I know this abusive relationship would have affected me so much that I would have had to drop my sorority. In my last year of college, I became apart of a national sorority that was not apart of NPC. Obviously I won't say the name of the organization, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The dues were very small and at the time I was so excited. I could find a sisterhood that would throw me in debt?? Great! Well, it was not so great. Nationals repeatedly mishandled our money as a chapter and had horrible communication with us. The group had no alumni societies and my last months were spent getting numerous emails of the different chapters closing, which would later include our own I believe, since recruitment went horribly the both semesters I was involved.

So here comes the questions. I had recently learned from a friend in an NPC sorority that I could pledge as an alumni. I was excited, but VERY cautious and tried not to get my hopes up, since I was apart of a non-NPC or NPHC sorority in college. I contacted the group she was apart of and have been in contact with someone who oversees this whole process! I told her all about my past sorority experience in college and she said that it was not a problem, since it was not an NPC or NPHC sorority.

Still, I'm so nervous about it all. I hate the idea that some people will see me as trading in one set of letters for the other even though that's not the case at all. I am not an alumni for the sorority I was in in college (I did not pay the alumni fee) and I have no connections with the group other than two friends (there is no alumni chapter in my entire region of the US).

I'm still searching for the rich sisterhood I've been looking for for forever, and I do believe that the NPC sorority that I've been in contact with will provide that, along with other philanthropy opportunities that I'd love to be apart of. But given my history, do you all think I should still go for it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2022, 12:52 AM

First off you are A PART of this sorority, not “apart” of it.

For most (NPC) groups, not paying an alumnae fee doesn’t mean you are not an alumna. If you graduated in good standing with the group and were not terminated or did not self-terminate, you are still an alumna. Not sure if your group operated the same way. I would caution against saying you’re “not a member” of this group any more unless you definitely know that to be true.

Did the NPC group you are looking at have a chapter at the school you attended?
Old 08-22-2022, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The rule only applies to NPC and NPHC groups. If your sorority (the one your were A PART OF) was not a member of either group, then you are fine. whether or not you paid their alum dues is not relevant. It is all predicated on the group's affiliation. You are good to go,.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

As an AI who was a member of a small local GLO service org that closed a few years after I graduated, I can say I don’t feel I have traded my letters. The benefits and characteristics of a local and an NPC are different. I was a little cautious when sharing things about my NPC org on social media at first after reconnecting on FB with members of my local service org because I didn’t want them to think I no longer cared for them, but honestly my DZX sisters are among the first to congratulate me on my AGD milestones and experiences. Those in my initiation class and the one immediately following and l do make time to see each other when traveling nearby. Our local introduced us but our hearts kept us friends. If you are most concerned about preserving your friendship with your sisters from the local you could talk with them about it first, but you are not breaking any rules by considering membership in an NPC org.

Of course for me that was 25+ years ago. If your local membership is more recent YMMV.

Last edited by SquirrelyDays; 08-22-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyDays View Post
As an AI who was a member of a small local GLO service org that closed a few years after I graduated, I can say I don’t feel I have traded my letters. The benefits and characteristics of a local and an NPC are different. I was a little cautious when sharing things about my NPC org on social media at first after reconnecting on FB with members of my local service org because I didn’t want them to think I no longer cared for them, but honestly my DZX sisters are among the first to congratulate me on my AGD milestones and experiences. Those in my initiation class and the one immediately following and l do make time to see each other when traveling nearby. Our local introduced us but our hearts kept us friends. If you are most concerned about preserving your friendship with your sisters from the local you could talk with them about it first, but you are not breaking any rules by considering membership in an NPC org.

Of course for me that was 25+ years ago. If your local membership is more recent YMMV.
I actually took some of your advice and talked with my few friends from my old org and they were ecstatic for me and told me to keep me updated on the process! Definitely lifted a weight off of my chest
Old 08-25-2022, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
First off you are A PART of this sorority, not “apart” of it.

For most (NPC) groups, not paying an alumnae fee doesn’t mean you are not an alumna. If you graduated in good standing with the group and were not terminated or did not self-terminate, you are still an alumna. Not sure if your group operated the same way. I would caution against saying you’re “not a member” of this group any more unless you definitely know that to be true.

Did the NPC group you are looking at have a chapter at the school you attended?
In the org, you had to apply and pay an extra fee to join the alumni society, which I did not do when graduating. I could still find someone to email to see if I am technically still a part of the sorority though, just for clarification.

And the group did not, sadly, although I think they are trying to colonize where I went? That is moreso heresy though and not finalized.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The rule only applies to NPC and NPHC groups. If your sorority (the one your were A PART OF) was not a member of either group, then you are fine. whether or not you paid their alum dues is not relevant. It is all predicated on the group's affiliation. You are good to go,.
Next time I won't type so fast haha!

But yes the group is not in either NPC or NPHC and was not affiliated with either councils at my school, and the representative from the organization I reached out to assured me that I was still okay to go forth with the process!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckylvr View Post
That is moreso heresy though and not finalized.
hearsay
Old 08-26-2022, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
hearsay

🤦*♀️

I guess everyone knows now that spelling is not my strength
Old 08-26-2022, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well, heresy means something really different!
Old 04-10-2024, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I had some time to spare and decided to hop on here after a few years! Everything ended up working out fine for me with AI. I just scheduled my initiation date with my local alum chapter I'm so excited!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckylvr View Post
I had some time to spare and decided to hop on here after a few years! Everything ended up working out fine for me with AI. I just scheduled my initiation date with my local alum chapter I'm so excited!

Congratulations duckylvr! Perhaps after your initiation you can let us know which NPC organization you've joined.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Congratulations duckylvr! Perhaps after your initiation you can let us know which NPC organization you've joined.
Thank you so much! I'd love to reveal the organization once I am initiated I'm so excited and honored to be joining a community of likeminded women
Old 04-17-2024, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful experience.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

You've received great advice from some great people, and I can't add much to it.
I did need to post, however, as I too am a ducky lover!