GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,842
2 members and 1,840 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Another DC chapter!

Three of the DC area alumnae associations reported that Kappa is colonizing at Georgetown University! This chapter will be just a couple of miles away from the Gamma Chi chapter at GW.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!! That's my alma mater!!!!

I know it's rare that an NPC will charter at a school that doesn't recognize Greek life, so I am really happy KKG is taking the risk on women who are doubtlessly committed to achievement, service, and social justice.

ugh I wish I could help somehow!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I have known about this, but I wondered when it was going to be officially announced. It's so exciting!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

That is awesome!!! Maybe it will pave the way for other groups to follow. WOW!!!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I imagine the unrecognized Harvard chapter will have a lot of wisdom to share.
Ditto with the Princeton chapter.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Couple of points...

Greek Life such as it is at Georgetown can be complicated.
1) Alpha Phi Omega (co-ed service fraternity) is recognized and funded.
2) Delta Phi Epsilon Foreign Service (as in I want to be the Ambassador to Mali one day) Fraternity and Sorority (which I believe was founded at Georgetown) is recognized, but not I believe funded.

The setup for the NPHC Fraternities and Sororities in Washington DC seems to be: 1 at Howard U, 1 at UDC and 1 or 2 other with perhaps multiple schools as part of it, so there might be a chapter taking students from Georgetown, George Washington and American University.

For the NIC/NPC, I think there are somewhere between 3 and 5 fraternities where the national has chartered a chapter at Georgetown even if the school doesn't recognize it: AEPi, ZBT, SAE and maybe a few others. I think KKG might be the first NPC sorority.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
The setup for the NPHC Fraternities and Sororities in Washington DC seems to be: 1 at Howard U, 1 at UDC and 1 or 2 other with perhaps multiple schools as part of it, so there might be a chapter taking students from Georgetown, George Washington and American University.
I can only speak for my own organization, but Alpha Kappa Alpha has a citywide chapter that encompasses only Georgetown, Catholic, and Trinity (i.e., the Catholic schools). GW and American have their own chapters, in addition to Howard and UDC having their own.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I think KKG might be the first NPC sorority.
It is.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

You people need to start telling me how this works!!! I AM TOO EXCITED TO BE LEFT IN THE DARK!

Last edited by Sen's Revenge; 07-31-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sen - In this particular case, a group of women on campus formed an interest group and approached Kappa to express their interest in forming a chapter. Our extension team did their due diligence and made the decision to colonize at Georgetown with this group. We do have a few chapters (as other posters have noted) at schools that do not recognize GLOs, so there is some experience at the Fraternity level with risk management, etc.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Sen - In this particular case, a group of women on campus formed an interest group and approached Kappa to express their interest in forming a chapter. Our extension team did their due diligence and made the decision to colonize at Georgetown with this group. We do have a few chapters (as other posters have noted) at schools that do not recognize GLOs, so there is some experience at the Fraternity level with risk management, etc.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Whaaaaaaaat! I never thought I'd see the day!

It does answer my questions. If there will be a public banquet or reception when they charter, I'd love to attend.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

For those interested, here is the official release from Kappa's website

https://www.kappakappagamma.org/Kapp...t.aspx?id=2745
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

So I was on campus today and ran into some Kappas at the convenience store. As it turns out, two of them are also APO members. I introduced myself to them and congratulated them on chartering. They were on their way to Bid Day activities and they told me they gave out nearly 50 bids! I was so proud of them.

When I say I never thought I'd see the day, I LITERALLY mean I never thought I'd see the day.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend of mine who went to Georgetown was astounded at this information, but she said the school has changed some longstanding policies. For instance, they didn't have a foundation until relatively recently. And when I told her that there are studies that show Greek members donate to their alma maters in larger proportion than their non-Greek counterparts, she thought it seemed logical. Of course, the school didn't have an official say in this process, but was there maybe a tacit acceptance? Or at least a fully mild condemnation? Did the school make a statement about the colony?

eta/I don't mean foundation... the money the school raises to support the institution (give scholarships) over the long haul. My brain is fried today.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
A friend of mine who went to Georgetown was astounded at this information, but she said the school has changed some longstanding policies. For instance, they didn't have a foundation until relatively recently. And when I told her that there are studies that show Greek members donate to their alma maters in larger proportion than their non-Greek counterparts, she thought it seemed logical. Of course, the school didn't have an official say in this process, but was there maybe a tacit acceptance? Or at least a fully mild condemnation? Did the school make a statement about the colony?

eta/I don't mean foundation... the money the school raises to support the institution (give scholarships) over the long haul. My brain is fried today.
Do you mean endowment?

If so, my first job out of college was in the Office of Advancement, and while I don't remember how old the endowment it, it is definitely true that the school didn't get into the fundraising game until many years after its peer institutions.

For what I know, the school hasn't changed any policies. There have been Latino GLOs since 96 and Black GLOs since the late 70s. Students have always had the right to association with whatever off-campus entities they wanted. So yes, tacit acceptance.

Also, certain people who were anti-Greek in the administration have retired.

What I can't explain is where they hold activities since only certain organizations get "Access to Benefits" and room reservation is one of them. (Although I don't believe that applies to reserving lounges in dorms, but at this point I'm just rambling)