GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,242
1 members and 1,241 guests
No Members online

Old 08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Exclamation Hurricane Evacuation

As I type this, the approaching hurricane towards the Gulf is now a Category 5. Network ( via online, phone, etc ) with your brother and sister Greeks that have evacuated in case they need a place to stay. This one looks bad.........Prayers to all in that area of the country. They ( CNN ) are saying that inland residents also may experience flooding.

P.S. I just now saw the post in ChitChat, so sorry for the cross post. But considering the nature of this storm, I was just trying to get the word out faster to all Greeks. If you know of one of your chapters that is providing shelter, post here in this thread.

Last edited by ZetaPhi708; 08-28-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Yes, to all greeks in the areas affected by Katrina, please be smart and safe and know others across the nation are saying prayers for you all...May you weather this with no losses and be back to help others who may need help in the hurricane's aftermath...
Old 08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ZetaPhi708
Bumping this back up.......

Does anyone have any news regarding Greeks at colleges affected by the hurricane?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, the news is that University of New Orleans, Tulane, Xavier and other schools probably won't be back in session for some time. Southern Miss in Hattiesburg got some severe damage (my sister's boyfriend is a UPD officer--he just started two weeks ago!!) and anyway, but other that I haven't heard about houses. Tulane has houses on Broadway and near the Tulane campus but I suspect that they are flooded badly.
-OleMissGlitter--from New Orleans
Old 08-30-2005, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hurricane Damage

Please keep this site updated with info regarding our greek families, alumnae who help with chapters and our sisters and brothers in: (can someone add more to list)

Mobile, Alabama--University of South Alabama
New Orleans, Louisiana--Newcomb College of Tulane
Baton Rouge, Louisiana--Louisiana State University
Hattiesburg, Mississippi--University of Southern Mississippi
Old 08-30-2005, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I just heard a snippet on the news this morning that Jackson State U. was hosting students from other universities that were damaged/evacuated. Would that make sense? (I don't know the South well!)
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

According to my map, there are quite a few Universities in New Orleans proper and I would assume they all have some sort of damage.

Loyola
Newcomb
Tulane
Xavier U of LA
U of NO
Southern U at NO
Old 08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My roommate's brother is a Pi Kappa Phi at LSU...from what I understand, he's staying at a Pi Kapp house in Texas until he can go home.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
Well, the news is that University of New Orleans, Tulane, Xavier and other schools probably won't be back in session for some time. Tulane has houses on Broadway and near the Tulane campus but I suspect that they are flooded badly.
My little sister's friend was supposed to start graduate school this week at Tulane!! She had orientation last Wednesday and then evacuated Saturday. She drove to Tennessee....she took whatever she could fit in her car with her!! My sister told me that on Monday-- I have not talked to her since!! I will let everyone know if I hear any details-- but I am guessing details will not come anytime soon!!

I hope they get everything settled for the students soon (all students...HS and grade school too!!)!! Oh this is just so horrible!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Just like SmartBlonde wrote--all New Orleans schools affected. Tulane's university site is down. You can read administrators letter at tulane.edu. They do not know when they will start. Some students were taken to Jackson State and I think they are going to be moving those kids and faculty to Atlanta.
Anyone heard from Hattiesburg, Mississippi and Mobile Alabama? They have large universities and no electricity!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend that goes to Loyola College of New Orleans, right next to Tulane. When I went to see if they had anything on their website about it--the website is apparently shut down. Im guessing their server was destroyed. She was moved to Texas to stay for awhile. They aren't sure when they can return. I have been told that Bourban street is entirely under water. Hard to even contemplate the damage...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My school, Centenary College is housing students from Dillard University and some LSU students. We're even extending our admission date so students who can't return to their institutions can enroll here for the semester. I was told that the schools won't be up and running for at the least 6weeks.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerOwl
Just like SmartBlonde wrote--all New Orleans schools affected. Tulane's university site is down. You can read administrators letter at tulane.edu. They do not know when they will start. Some students were taken to Jackson State and I think they are going to be moving those kids and faculty to Atlanta.
Anyone heard from Hattiesburg, Mississippi and Mobile Alabama? They have large universities and no electricity!
My friend works at Georgia Tech and she told me many Tulane students are coming into GA Tech like refugees.

Also, we recieved this update from our nationals which talks about the universities where Tri Delt has a chapter, which gives an update about whats going on in the region:

Chapter Updates

Louisiana State
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The chapter has reported that they are aware of at least 35 members from New
Orleans, Kenner, Metairie and River Ridge whose families and homes have been affected. The chapter facility sustained some minor damage due to flooding. Classes will resume on the campus, Tuesday, September 6.

The university has issued a statement regarding its post-hurricane operations and procedures. Tri Delta will follow the university's lead in extending deadlines and making special arrangements for those members who have been affected by the storm.

Louisiana/Lafayette
Lafayette, Louisiana
Some chapter members will likely need assistance. Classes appear to have resumed. No official university statement was available.

Millsaps
Jackson, Mississippi
Students may report back to campus Monday, September 5. Several chapter members will likely need assistance. The chapter reported that there was no damage to the chapter lodge and the power is back on.

Southern Mississippi
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Tri Delta has not been able to establish contact with representatives from Southern Mississippi. Several chapter members will likely need assistance. At this time, the university's Web site is not accessible.

Mississippi State
Starkville, Mississippi
Classes on the Starkville campus resumed Wednesday, August 31. Some chapter members will likely need assistance. The chapter facility sustained minor wind damage.

Mississippi
Oxford, Mississippi
Classes were not interrupted. Some chapter members will likely need assistance. The chapter facility sustained minor water damage.

Delta State
Cleveland, Mississippi
Classes were not interrupted. Some chapter members will likely need assistance.

Spring Hill
Mobile, Alabama
Tri Delta has not been able to establish contact with representatives from Spring Hill. Several chapter members will likely need assistance. The university statement reports that Spring Hill College will remain closed for students until Sunday, Sept. 4, at noon and classes will resume Monday, September 5.

Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Classes resumed Wednesday, August 31. Some chapter members may need assistance. The chapter facility was not damaged.

Auburn
Auburn, Alabama
Classes were not interrupted. Some chapter members may need assistance. The chapter facility was not damaged.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
My little sister's friend was supposed to start graduate school this week at Tulane!! She had orientation last Wednesday and then evacuated Saturday. She drove to Tennessee....she took whatever she could fit in her car with her!! My sister told me that on Monday-- I have not talked to her since!! I will let everyone know if I hear any details-- but I am guessing details will not come anytime soon!!
Ok...so my (biological) sister's friend is back home in St. Louis now. She did not take everything like we thought she did...she has her laptop, DVDs, makeup/toiletries, and 1 weeks worth of clothes (since she thought thats how long she would be gone). She is worried that she might have lost most of her stuff...she had all of her clothes and stuff there.

She only lost her personal belongings...and she is safe. I cannot imagine losing my house or a family member!!!!!!!