GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,275
0 members and 2,275 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2009, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, perhaps at IU PNMS should go through psychological evaluations before recruitment. There seems to be a lot of girls going through who have a hard time handling the pressures or the disappointment after being cut. Or at least offer emotional counseling beyond Rho Gammas after the fact. It seems like so many girls have crazy over-dramatized reactions to being cut. I'm being completely serious, here.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, I know some girls who dropped out of IU because they did not receive bids to sororities. They did, however, go to other schools, and thrived. To a girl, they all look back on it now and realize that at age 18/19, not getting a bid at such a competitive school seemed like the biggest deal in the world when other friends of ours did and it was devastating at the time. Many of them joined sororities at their new schools--some didn't--and loved the experience. It's unfortunate that you had such a bad experience, and clearly others do too. But IU is a great school and there are clearly plenty of girls that don't get bids, and they seem graduate and go on with their lives ok. Greek life is wonderful, but it's not the end all, be all.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Here's the other IU thread

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105077

Until IU sororities are comfortable with the idea of not everyone living in the house, the bed rush system will continue.

When or if it DOES change, the complexion of the Greek system at the school will change a great deal. Most likely (as I said in the other thread) some of the women who love it now will hate it and drop out.

Maybe the solution is limiting the number of women rushing somehow.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I don't understand why the school feels that greek life is only worth living if everyone lives in? At most schools, only a small percentage or half of the chapter lives in, and some chapters have a hard time filling the house with so many members wanting to live out! I don't know what the housing situation is in Bloomington - maybe there's a housing shortage in the community/campus? - but why would they want to limit the system's growth just so they can cram everyone into the houses?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I guess I don't understand why the school feels that greek life is only worth living if everyone lives in? At most schools, only a small percentage or half of the chapter lives in, and some chapters have a hard time filling the house with so many members wanting to live out! I don't know what the housing situation is in Bloomington - maybe there's a housing shortage in the community/campus? - but why would they want to limit the system's growth just so they can cram everyone into the houses?
It's just part of the culture. In their second year, students typically don't live in the dorms, but most will go to either an apt. or their sorority house. The chapters also have HUGE houses, so it's also a bit of a neccessity to have as many live in as possible.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-28-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElloPoppet View Post
The system there is so bad that I dropped out of college entirely because of the depression I got from rushing. Read this and the comments...it only begins to describe the issue.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=68062
IU is a tough recruitment, no one is going to deny that.

However, if recruitment has caused you to drop out of school due to depression, you NEED to seek some professional help. Really.

If you need help, the National Institute of Mental Heath (NIMH) can help you find someone in your area to talk to: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publi...te-index.shtml

Best of luck to you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe someone at IU could ciarify, but based on this comment in a news article linked in the other thread, it sounds like on-campus housing is indeed in short supply:

Quote:
IU administrators have too long depended on the Greek system to supply housing and social networks for their students. The administrators in charge of campus life must examine and explore innovative alternatives for housing and student life, especially in the sophomore year of college. After the first year, students are expected to move out of the dorms. They are faced with either an apartment or joining a sorority/fraternity. Many students turn to the Greek system for housing. The Greek system is readily available, close to campus, and a part of the University. Apartments, located several blocks off campus are not part of the University. A second year student faces isolation and a rather significant adjustment.
This could also explain why IU women who go bidless often transfer to another school.

Last edited by LXA SE285; 07-29-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's just part of the culture. In their second year, students typically don't live in the dorms, but most will go to either an apt. or their sorority house. The chapters also have HUGE houses, so it's also a bit of a neccessity to have as many live in as possible.

Thank you KSUViolet. I am doing much better now and am actually taking summer classes and will be starting at a new school here in a couple of weeks. It just always makes me sad to think "what if" knowing that if things had gone a different way I might still be at a school I loved having the time of my life. But that's in the past...my new school does not have greek life so we will see how things go!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
Maybe someone at IU could ciarify, but based on this comment in a news article linked in the other thread, it sounds like housing is indeed in short supply
I don't think it's short supply, just a crappy location. It's one thing to move far off campus when you're a senior...it's another thing to be basically forced out into no-man's land when you're a sophomore. If you've made a solid core group of friends you're probably OK, but that doesn't happen for everyone. Considering my freshman-year friends (almost) all dumped me when I dumped my ex, I would have been SOL in that situation.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
Maybe someone at IU could ciarify, but based on this comment in a news article linked in the other thread, it sounds like housing is indeed in short supply:

This could also explain why IU women who go bidless often transfer to another school.
Yes, there has been a housing shortage in the past-- however I think it is mostly dorm-based housing. I'm not sure if there is a shortage regarding off campus housing.

I do know of one fraternity that was kicked off campus last year, however the university allowed the men to remain in their house for the rest of the year because they didn't have any other available housing (the house was run similar to a dorm from what I was told).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Time to throw my IU $.02 into the pot (oh wait, IU already took my last $.02. Anyways...)

Off campus housing isn't necessarily in short supply, but it can be very isolating. Granted, you're probably rooming with your close friends, but you're not surrounded by the same social atmosphere you are during your freshman year.

In terms of the rest of it...IU recruitment does suck, I can't deny that, and I'm in a chapter now. Part of the problem is that many PNMs come in only wanting a Third Street chapter or a select number of Jordan Ave./extension chapters, rather than realizing that a 'lower tier' chapter might be the best fit for them. Another part is that as much as women hate to say it, knowing active members really does help, they can fight for you and know you beyond a 5 minute conversation. The party structure isn't the best either, but there aren't many options. 19 houses in two days in the middle of winter (I did my first day when it was snowing sideways and my second day it was approximately 15 degrees out) is brutal, then waiting is horrible, and you're forced to fly/drive back early despite not knowing if you have chapters. It sucks.

Oh and ForeverRoses, a chapter did get kicked off my freshman year (2007-2008) for hazing, they'll never be back IMO. Phi Kappa Sigma/Phi Sigma Kappa (whichever one is not Skulls...they're basically right next door to each other so it gets confusing) is in that chapter's house. There will be an empty house on the extension however, a fraternity was 'removed' by their nationals HQ for a year, but they'll be back my senior year
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

"19 houses in two days in the middle of winter (I did my first day when it was snowing sideways and my second day it was approximately 15 degrees out) is brutal, then waiting is horrible, and you're forced to fly/drive back early despite not knowing if you have chapters. It sucks."

how horrible that pnms who have no invitations are not notified prior to returning to campus. that is just wrong.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

It says a lot about IU recruitment that, according to someone in the other thread, one girl who rushed unsuccessfully twice transferred out and ended up finding her home ... at an SEC school.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think it's short supply, just a crappy location. It's one thing to move far off campus when you're a senior...it's another thing to be basically forced out into no-man's land when you're a sophomore. If you've made a solid core group of friends you're probably OK, but that doesn't happen for everyone. Considering my freshman-year friends (almost) all dumped me when I dumped my ex, I would have been SOL in that situation.

And at IU, if you plan to join a sorority, you know you will live in the house for 3 years, and you don't think twice about it. There is no thought about moving out as seniors or anything. At other Big Ten schools, for example, when you join a house, you usually only have a one-year live in requirement, and off-campus housing is a lot closer or even intermingled. Most juniors and seniors in sororities at other schools like living in a house for a year, but then are excited to live on their own for a year or two. At some schools, sophomores even commonly live in the dorms--we got priority over Freshman if we wanted to live in the dorms again and I know my brother did at his school too. It's hard b/c I think IU is the last Big Ten school to rush, and when your friends have a whole semester of fun under their belts, it just adds to the pressure.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with quite a few people on this issue. I think the way IU housing is structured leads people to seek out the Greek system for a place to live the next year. Dorms are geared almost indefinitely towards freshman/international students. We had a total of two sophomores on my floor of about 45 last year. Furthermore, I do believe (although I dont have solid stats to back it up) that there is not nearly enough housing for those interested. I lived in one of the larger dorms and we actually had students living in our floor lounges for a good portion of the year (thankfully not on my floor). So, with situations like that, it's easy to see why one would want to leave the dorm asap...not to mention that a sorority/apartment is, in most cases, cheaper than living in the dorms. The worth of a greek house at IU is often determined by their house location (i.e. "Third Street Elite") and whether they have a house at all (obviously this applies more to fraternities). Living in the house is just IU culture but it does and will continue to cause problems. To comment on the IDS article: I think people sometimes overlook the fact that some of the reason we don't have a higher bid match rate is due to PNM's lacking an open-mind. I saw/heard of several girls that dropped out of rush because they didn't get the houses they wanted...(sadly I was one of them before Bid Day...which I really regretted). When you worry about which house is top-tier or which girls are the prettiest, you miss out and I was entire stupid to care about that because that's not the people I am. Girls in my Rho Gamma group tent talked and discussed reputations and some even admitted to being rude on purpose at certain houses they didn't think they liked or thought they were too good for. Long story short, while I do think awesome girls slip through the cracks, I think a lot of people just don't have an open-mind. Maybe things will be a lot better this year now that sites like Juicy Campus are gone. I don't really think the new changes for recruitment 2009 will really help the situation...It only makes the 2nd round that much more tiring. Apparently PHA was really pushing to have recruitment all during January instead of 19 party and then waiting 2-3 weeks. I really wish that would've gone through.