GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,310
1 members and 2,309 guests
chi-o_cat

Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

rushing as a sophomore

So I go to a pretty small school and rush is semi-competitive. I rushed last year and dropped out because I didn't get asked back my top three choices (we have five sororities). This year, Almost all of my closest friends are in my top two choices, many of them hold positions, and I have a ton of acquaintances and other friends in these sororities as well. Does this improve my chance of rushing my top two choices this year? My friends are aware that I'm rushing as well.
Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

*headdesk*
Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachyy19 View Post
So I go to a pretty small school and rush is semi-competitive. I rushed last year and dropped out because I didn't get asked back my top three choices (we have five sororities). This year, Almost all of my closest friends are in my top two choices, many of them hold positions, and I have a ton of acquaintances and other friends in these sororities as well. Does this improve my chance of rushing my top two choices this year? My friends are aware that I'm rushing as well.
Thanks!
Also, QFP.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

In case the OP is really asking for actual advice:

Even if we knew your exact chances with those chapters, we would not be able to tell you (and your friends wouldn't be able to, either).
Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Here's some honest advice and hopefully you can appreciate it:

Friends in a chapter (or even officer friends in a chapter) doesn't = automatic "in."

I've seen it happen where girls were roommates with chapter presidents and BFFs with the VPs and still got cut.

An open mind to ALL chapters in recruitment is a good thing to have.

I mean, consider this: Your "top two" might not invite you back at all (yes you have friends there but they can't guarantee an invite for you). You'd have a pretty crappy recruitment if those 2 cut you and you REFUSED to consider any other chapter.

Also, consider the fact that these chapters did cut you last year. What is so different about YOU (not you having friends, but you as a PNM) that would cause them to give you a 2nd look this year? Example: better grades, involvement, etc.

So, being a little more open minded and not just focusing on these 2 is good idea. Especially as a 2nd time PNM at a school with just 5 groups.

Good luck to you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-19-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

What's changed is that going in to recruitment the first time around, I had literally no connections to any sorority, and I know that's not everything, but I go to a really small school where everyone knows everyone else from high school, family friends, etc.
Also, I have improved my reputation since the first time around.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Improved your reputation? Did you have a bad one during the first recruitment?

What makes you think you've suddenly "outgrown" a bad reputation and that sorority members will suddenly not remember it anymore this time around?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have a "bad" reputation, and definitely not more so than my other friends who are in sororities, but I have toned down the partying.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

If all these sorority members are such close friends, why don't you ask THEM instead of a bunch of strangers on the Internet?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM

You know, it IS possible for people to know and like you, but still not want you in their sorority.

I'm not saying this is true for you, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Sometimes people think "oh my friends will pull for me to get in because they like me."

That's not always the case. People can think "oh she's a nice girl and I like her, but I don't want her to be an XYZ."

Then a girl goes through recruitment and feels blindsided because her friend's chapter cut her.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-19-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

You aren't going to know until you go through again. Be prepared to be cut harshly. If you really want to be Greek, though, don't be so cavalier as to reject the other two groups on campus. As a wise member of GC once said, They've "got letters; you've got dreams." Choose wisely grasshopper.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Please keep an open mind to all chapters at your school. Going through as a sophomore will probably cut your chances short to begin with, so keeping your options open is essential.

As someone who rushed as a sophomore, I have to restate KSUViolet06's post. I had friends in chapters on my campus and was eventually cut from those and pledged a sorority where I didn't know a single girl in the chapter beforehand. Another example: My cousin's best friend went through recruitment and she tried very very hard to have her be an XYZ with her, but the rest of the chapter didnt see the potential for a fit with my cousin's friend. She was cut after round 2. Also, although I am friends with some PNMs who will be going through in the fall, I don't exactly think all of them would fit best with my chapter. So, just because your friends are in ABC sorority, it doesnt mean that they, or the rest of the chapter, thinks you are a good fit for them.

good luck though!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Is this a repeat thread??
Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Is this a repeat thread??
It feels like all of them are lately. Same "special" story and situation. Just a different day.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 AM

I just looked at the calendar.

It's that time of year again. lol.

Lakers Nation.