GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,564
0 members and 1,564 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Grades in Recruitment

I am currently trying to decide weather to attend the University of Alabama or University of South Alabama, and despite what some may say, I am basing a lot of my desicion on sororities. My whole life, I have wanted to go to Alabama but as it gets closer, I am afraid I will not be able to be in a sorority at Bama. The competition at South is a lot less intense so I have a better chance of getting a bid their. I am out of state and they say that helps but I am still not sure. I have a 3.01 GPA, but I also attended one of the top public schools in the nation. By the end of this year, I will have a 4.0 for my senior year, but not sure if that matters because my GPA will still only be a 3.1. What I do have going for me is my ACT scores, I scored very well on the ACT. What I am wondering though is if Sororities even look at those. I also have some friends and cousins in houses right now and I am a legacy, but I know these days that doesn't do much for me. I also have a last name that is appreciated at Bama and South and lots of family that have gone through the greek system at both. I am a VERY outgoing and well rounded person with a extensive resume with a wide range of extracurricular activities and community service hours. What I want to know from yall is if you think I will be ok at Alabama with my name, connections, and extra curricular activities and ACT scores, despite my GPA???

Thanks and Roll Tide!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb1015 View Post
I am currently trying to decide weather to attend the University of Alabama or University of South Alabama, and despite what some may say, I am basing a lot of my desicion on sororities. My whole life, I have wanted to go to Alabama but as it gets closer, I am afraid I will not be able to be in a sorority at Bama. The competition at South is a lot less intense so I have a better chance of getting a bid their. I am out of state and they say that helps but I am still not sure.

I have a 3.01 GPA, but I also attended one of the top public schools in the nation. By the end of this year, I will have a 4.0 for my senior year, but not sure if that matters because my GPA will still only be a 3.1. What I do have going for me is my ACT scores, I scored very well on the ACT.

What I am wondering though is if Sororities even look at those. I also have some friends and cousins in houses right now and I am a legacy, but I know these days that doesn't do much for me. I also have a last name that is appreciated at Bama and South and lots of family that have gone through the greek system at both. I am a VERY outgoing and well rounded person with a extensive resume with a wide range of extracurricular activities and community service hours. What I want to know from yall is if you think I will be ok at Alabama with my name, connections, and extra curricular activities and ACT scores, despite my GPA???

Thanks and Roll Tide!

Paging Zillini!

No one can tell you for sure whether you'll get a bid.

If you do a search for Alabama on this site, you'll find tons of info about the level of competitiveness there.

I will say that recommendations are VERY important. No matter who you are and what your GPA is, you aren't going to get far without those.

Also, a 3.0 is not that great for a HS student. Most Bama PNM will have MUCH higher GPAs than that.

Also, you may have a 3.0, great ACT scores, family connections, and legacies, but there are many PNM there with higher ACT scores, more family connections, and well-known family names within the state.

So what you think may help you stand out, may not help you as much as you think.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever school you decide, put forth your best effort to show all the girls why you are the best and why they want you. Recruitment is the time to step up your A-game! Since you've always wanted to go to Bama, go there! You've already got the spirit!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

So the fact that I have a 34 on the ACT and my grandfather was the president of the University and my dad was a star football player doesn't mean a whole lot because I don't have a 3.5?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
So the fact that I have a 34 on the ACT and my grandfather was the president of the University and my dad was a star football player doesn't mean a whole lot because I don't have a 3.5?
Not buying this.

If your grandfather was the president of the university and and your father was a star football player and you are so well-connected, why do you need to come to the internet to ask for reassurance and advice?

Most of the women who are well-connected as you say you are, don't even NEED outside advice because they are aware of (and their family members are aware of) the types of grades they will need in order to get a bid.

If you ARE indeed who you say you are, don't expect it to carry you in recruitment. There are plenty of well-connected Alabama girls who end up with undesireable results (esp. those with mediocre grades). That's just the way it is.

Get recs, study hard, and don't bank on your famous family name to get you a bid.

Good luck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, your attitude means that the rest doesn't really matter. If you walk in acting like you are better then everyone just because who you happen to share a name with, you will probably be dropped by everybody. And I will also like to say, Greek life is a great thing. However the purpose of going to college is to get an education. Trying to decide which school to go to by how likely you are to receive a bid is a big mistake. Ok Ladies, I will return to my own lane now.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 10-04-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Major English fail before.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd like to comment on the ACT score ... Although the score will likely help you gain admittance to whichever university you choose, I doubt it will be looked at during recruitment. Further, in my opinion, an ACT score is based on your ability to take one test and therefore is not a very good indicator of your true academic ability or future success with a high (3.5+) GPA in college.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Trying to decide which school to go too by how likely you are to fact a bid is a big mistake.
This is the one thing in your post that I slightly disagree with. If all other things are equal in two schools and you're dead set on being greek, then by all means, choose your school based on greek potential.

Of course, that's not to say you should go to Podunk U with 100% placement over a good school, though. I don't know enough about the south to tell if that's the case here, though.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Recent research has shown (or at least research presented in my education classes ) that GPA is a better indicator than standardized test scores on how you will do in college. It was a marginal difference but it is there. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
C'mon son!

i call BS as well. and ACT, really? (East Coast test snob over here, sorry)
Old 10-04-2009, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
C'mon son!

i call BS as well. and ACT, really? (East Coast test snob over here, sorry)
Does the ACT test homonyms and punctuation?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It's a Full Moon tonight ("Hunter's Moon", I think it's called).

That is the only explanation that fits for what's come out of the woodwork to start threads in the last day for the most part.

Gah!

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-04-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-04-2009, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Does the ACT test homonyms and punctuation?
I know why there's no I in team, because the OP used them all.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I know why there's no I in team, because the OP used them all.
That had me LOL.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right!