GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,568
1 members and 2,567 guests
Joobee

Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice?

This is my first thread here after some time of lurking about. Sorry that this resembles a paper, but I get really, really talkative once I get going. This past weekend, Oct 2-4, was rush at UCR and so as a tentative junior, I decided to try it. I already went in with realistic knowledge that I had a good chance of not getting any bids as a junior, but my friends/family members have pledged and they loved it so they urged me to just try it out at least.

I went to Open House with a ton of nerves because of all my apprehensions about rushing as a junior, especially considering that obviously there were a ton of other underclassmen who could probably provide more than I could, along with the years. I already had an idea of which GLOs I wanted and I was thrilled to be proven that they were the right ones for me.

At UCR, there are: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa, and Pi Beta Phi. I'm not sure if we are considered a really Greek school, but my Rho Chi told us about 250ish (Maybe higher, but lesser than 300) girls rushed this fall.

Open House was so long (6-7 hours in heels was crazy!), but it was so much more than I thought it would be. It was so exciting, adorable, and life-changing. I was never the type to think I could be in a sorority even though I was definitely one of those girls who would see the girls/signs around campus and think about them longingly (That sounds a little creepy, I know). I didn't get to dorm my first year because of my parents so I've been living at a nearby apt/commuting.

I don't know a lot of about the whole Greek Life, but I feel like I really, really, really (x100) want/need to join one because it's the family environment that I adore. It's difficult to get involved when you didn't get to dorm or anything and I feel like I really could learn so much from having sisters. I also love the community service aspect because I was really involved in high school, on and off campus. It's hard keeping up with old friends who don't go to my college so I wanted so much to get into a sorority, even as a junior. My heart was so set on getting in.

I absolutely adored DG, Kappa, & Gamma Phi - the conversations went so well that it was amazing how well I connected with the handful of girls I met. Sig Kap, AXO & Pi Phi didn't have me as enthralled and 1 sister I spoke to kind of forced the conversation and didn't seem to be as interested in me as the ones in the other 3. When I came back for Philanthropy Day, I ended up getting 2 'callbacks' out of 4 max from Kappa and Sig Kap. So, KKG was the one I wanted and SK had been one of my lower choices.

I wasn't too surprised about KKG because my old roommate is a sister and I spent most of the time talking to her. I was surprised about SK and even more totally crushed about not getting an invite back from DG and Gamma Phi. During our Philanthropy Day, I ended up connecting really well with girls from both sororities - the conversations never went awkward or forced; we totally bonded over 'why did you want to rush?', and other rush-related Qs as well as high school activities, interests, etc. so I thought I had a good chance.

Today was Pref Night, but I ended up getting a call from my Rho Chi that I had been dropped. I remember hearing from one of the girls in my recruitment group that some had been crying over their callbacks. I remember thinking that I don't know if I could cry about that, because at least you got invited back. But today was truly disappointing for me. I know you've all heard it before, but I am unbelievably heartbroken that I didn't get an invite back and Bid Day is tomorrow. I went into this whole process super excited and nervous/antsy beyond words - I did research on all the sororities that I was interested in and I'm completely disheartened by this, considering I thought how well last night had gone. I'm the kind of person to get her hopes too high, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I've read threads here on other girls who were dropped or decided to drop and saw that there is a chance of COB, but I'm not sure if I should try it. I truly and honestly want to be involved in a GLO, but given my year and whatnot, I'm not sure if I have a chance. I don't really know as many sisters in sororities and I don't know anything about the quotas - if they've been met, etc (If anything, I could prob only find out about KKG). I read that I should keep up with my Rho Chi to see about an 'available list' or COB, but given my 'statistics' compared to other girls, should I try?

Last edited by Azria; 10-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

i am sorry that recruitment didn't end with a bid for you. i am not familiar with recruitment at your school, but generally, if you want to make sure chapters know that you would be interested in cob events, you should contact the greek life office and ask if there is a list of interested girls that you can add your name to.

once formal recruitment is over, your rho chi's duties end. she won't be able to get your name out(other than to her own chapter should they be cob'ing). the greek life office will be your best bet. good luck!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azria View Post
This is my first thread here after some time of lurking about. Sorry that this resembles a paper, but I get really, really talkative once I get going. This past weekend, Oct 2-4, was rush at UCR and so as a tentative junior, I decided to try it. I already went in with realistic knowledge that I had a good chance of not getting any bids as a junior, but my friends/family members have pledged and they loved it so they urged me to just try it out at least.

I went to Open House with a ton of nerves because of all my apprehensions about rushing as a junior, especially considering that obviously there were a ton of other underclassmen who could probably provide more than I could, along with the years. I already had an idea of which GLOs I wanted and I was thrilled to be proven that they were the right ones for me.

At UCR, there are: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa, and Pi Beta Phi. I'm not sure if we are considered a really Greek school, but my Rho Chi told us about 250ish (Maybe higher, but lesser than 300) girls rushed this fall.

Open House was so long (6-7 hours in heels was crazy!), but it was so much more than I thought it would be. It was so exciting, adorable, and life-changing. I was never the type to think I could be in a sorority even though I was definitely one of those girls who would see the girls/signs around campus and think about them longingly (That sounds a little creepy, I know). I didn't get to dorm my first year because of my parents so I've been living at a nearby apt/commuting.

I don't know a lot of about the whole Greek Life, but I feel like I really, really, really (x100) want/need to join one because it's the family environment that I adore. It's difficult to get involved when you didn't get to dorm or anything and I feel like I really could learn so much from having sisters. I also love the community service aspect because I was really involved in high school, on and off campus. It's hard keeping up with old friends who don't go to my college so I wanted so much to get into a sorority, even as a junior. My heart was so set on getting in.

I absolutely adored DG, Kappa, & Gamma Phi - the conversations went so well that it was amazing how well I connected with the handful of girls I met. Sig Kap, AXO & Pi Phi didn't have me as enthralled and 1 sister I spoke to kind of forced the conversation and didn't seem to be as interested in me as the ones in the other 3. When I came back for Philanthropy Day, I ended up getting 2 'callbacks' out of 4 max from Kappa and Sig Kap. So, KKG was the one I wanted and SK had been one of my lower choices.

I wasn't too surprised about KKG because my old roommate is a sister and I spent most of the time talking to her. I was surprised about SK and even more totally crushed about not getting an invite back from DG and Gamma Phi. During our Philanthropy Day, I ended up connecting really well with girls from both sororities - the conversations never went awkward or forced; we totally bonded over 'why did you want to rush?', and other rush-related Qs as well as high school activities, interests, etc. so I thought I had a good chance.

Today was Pref Night, but I ended up getting a call from my Rho Chi that I had been dropped. I remember hearing from one of the girls in my recruitment group that some had been crying over their callbacks. I remember thinking that I don't know if I could cry about that, because at least you got invited back. But today was truly disappointing for me. I know you've all heard it before, but I am unbelievably heartbroken that I didn't get an invite back and Bid Day is tomorrow. I went into this whole process super excited and nervous/antsy beyond words - I did research on all the sororities that I was interested in and I'm completely disheartened by this, considering I thought how well last night had gone. I'm the kind of person to get her hopes too high, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I've read threads here on other girls who were dropped or decided to drop and saw that there is a chance of COB, but I'm not sure if I should try it. I truly and honestly want to be involved in a GLO, but given my year and whatnot, I'm not sure if I have a chance. I don't really know as many sisters in sororities and I don't know anything about the quotas - if they've been met, etc (If anything, I could prob only find out about KKG). I read that I should keep up with my Rho Chi to see about an 'available list' or COB, but given my 'statistics' compared to other girls, should I try?

Only YOU can determine whether you should try.

It is up to you.

Best of luck.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Only YOU can determine whether you should try.

It is up to you.

Best of luck.

I know that, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth trying COB or should I just go ahead with a community service co-ed frat or culture sorority instead.

Last edited by Azria; 10-05-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I know that it's up to me, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth trying COB or should I just go ahead with a community service co-ed frat or culture sorority instead.
Right, but we can't tell you that. I can't tell you that it is better for you to try and join a sorority than it is for you to join another club or service fraternity. It depends on what you are looking for, what those groups offer on your campus, etc. Only you can make the best decision for you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-05-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth trying COB or should I just go ahead with a community service co-ed frat or culture sorority instead.
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but are you trying to use service and "cultural" organizations as back ups? These organizations weren't created for leftovers from other organizations.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't be a letter getter.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sorry it didn't work out in formal recruitment. Even if you are aware of the odds against something and go in with a pretty realistic view of the challenges, it still hurts when things don't work out. If you want to find out about the possibilities of COB activities, contact Greek Life office on your campus. Good luck to you!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Gosh, that just made me really sad.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM

I think that you should DEFINITELY go through NPC rush again so the whole campus (including the service and "culture" groups) are well aware of your history. This might have an important effect!!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Keep in mind that just because an org is not an NPC sorority (i.e. Kappa, SK, Gamma Phi, etc) doesn't mean you will be invited to join (or that it is somehow easier to get into).

It's cool to pursue COB opportunities, but if those don't work out, it's not the best idea to pursue any and every org on campus that has Greek letters.

Open your horizons to some other campus activities as well. An org need not have Greek letters for you to enojy it and find value in it.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-05-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I just PM'd you. I am very familiar with the UCR recruitment process and hope I answered your questions.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Gosh, that just made me really sad.
Ah, I sincerely apologize to everyone - my email hasn't been alerting me so I had no idea I got more replies; I just finally checked this now. That truly was not meant to be insulting. I just really wanted to be a part of Panhellenic, but the other sororities are starting this week and I kind of didn't want to get mixed up in both 'groups' if that makes any sense.

I don't really know the whole COB process at my school yet (I've been trying to reach the office, but I keep getting sidetracked). I want to have a game plan for one place and see it through rather than try to balance 2-3 orgs at once. I know it could increase my chances, but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to get in everywhere and end up failing or something.

Also, I know that it's not about the letters/being Greek, I've just had friends in them and I feel like it's just more for me. I'm already involved in a couple clubs, but I'd still like to broaden my horizons, so to speak. I just remembered what my apprehension actually was. To rephrase: "Should I really try (given that I'm a junior with not as much to offer compared to underclassmen)?" I think back to the chats I had with the girls and I realized how many things I could said to sway them. I think stuff like amending to why I would be a good choice, even as a third year, etc would've been good, maybe?

Last edited by Azria; 10-07-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

each cob chapter may only have one or two spots-once they fill those, they are done.the clock is ticking and if you truly want to participate in any NPC sorority's cob events, you need to drop by the greek life office today to see how you can accomplish that.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I had a recruitment story similar to yours. If you want to go greek, ask about COB, get on the lists, and go. Who cares if you're a junior? Make sure the girls know what you can bring to the table and that they don't focus so much on what you can't.

My two cents.