GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,424
3 members and 1,421 guests
LaneSig, Sarak24034

Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Eirbear's Retro Recruitment Thread

So, I've been getting a huge kick out of reading all the retro recruitment threads, so (if anyone's interested) I figured I'd start my own. Now, granted, I never kept a recruitment journal, because it wasn't a thought I had at the time, but I still remember everything pretty clearly (minus one party at one round which has, for some reason, escaped my memory). I went through Formal Recruitment during Fall 2005, while I was a freshman. I had two Rho Chi's...we'll call them Janet and Jessica. There are four chapters at my university:

Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Zeta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Zeta Tau Alpha

Because my current obsession is Wicked, I decided the nicknames I'll give the chapters are names of characters from the musical (there's no meaning behind the giving of the names, it was random). The names will be:

Elphaba
Galinda
Fiyero
Nessarose

To tide everyone over until I'm able to post again, I'll give my initial feelings about the four chapters.

Elphaba--Before the rounds began, I didn't know much about this chapter. I saw the sisters wearing their letters around campus, and I met some of them in passing, but I didn't know any of them personally.

Galinda--The most I knew about this chapter was that a lot of them were in the English department with me. As far as I could tell, they were all very nice and other than that I had no opinion.

Fiyero--I only knew one sister from this chapter, a girl (we'll call her Mary) I had a PE class with (Folk Dancing...it was always kind of a joke). Mary was very nice to me and was incredibly excited when she heard I had decided to go through Recruitment. Other than her, I had virtually no interaction with any of the other sisters.

Nessarose--Going into Recruitment, this was the only chapter I really knew anyone from. Several of the girls in the marching band with me were in this chapter. One girl in my section was incredibly determined for me to go through Recruitment, and made it fairly clear she wanted me as a sister. My mom had also been in this chapter when she was at school, and because of this I promised to go through with a completely open mind, knowing my mom and I frequently have different ideas and tastes.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

loove these threads!! im readin!

p.s- i LOVE wicked too!!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Are you at Ohio Northern by any chance?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Are you at Ohio Northern by any chance?
Yes, I am, actually! I didn't think many people on here had heard of ONU.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Polar Bears! ( I had many high school friends that attended ONU)
Old 06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Current reflections will be in purple.

So, after a few floor meetings with our Rho Chi's (in which they brought cookies) and many conversations about times, dress, and all the little details for the first weekend, the day of the first round had finally arrived. Of course, we couldn't be without our little problems and I was "fortunate" enough to be part of it. Because I was in the marching band, we had practice until 6pm on Fridays (and marching band counts as a class, so there was no way to skip just to get ready for Open House). Open House was supposed to begin at 6:30. There were about four of us going through Recruitment, plus all the Nessaroses, and one Rho Chi (for these purposes, we'll call her Katie). Having one Rho Chi in the band worked to the advantage of everyone, because she was given special permission to drive the four of us going through Recruitment to the student union to change and then to our respective first rounds of the night so we wouldn't be late.

Band practice ended, and the five of us (four PNMs and Katie) rushed to the car, hurried to the student union, and changed into the clothes we had brought along. Katie gave us the nametags she had been given earlier and told us which houses each of us would be visiting first and that the other Rho Chi's traveling with each of our groups would let us know the order of the rest of the houses for the night. We put all of our stuff in Katie's trunk and planned to meet her to get them at the end of the night, and then we loaded into her car again and she drove us to our different rounds. We dropped off one girl at the Nessarose house first. My first round was to be at the Galinda house, which (according to Katie) was the next closest house to Nessarose, so I would be dropped off next. Katie ended up having to turn around after she turned to wrong way down a street. I determined she clearly wasn't a Galinda.

My experiences at each house:

Galinda--The first house I visited. We lined up outside the house, the Rho Chi's took our coats and purses to hold while we were inside. The door opened and all of us PNMs were incredibly overwhelmed by how loud the sisters were singing. We went inside and the girl I was paired with was really nice. The conversation flowed easily. I enjoyed seeing the house and all the sisters were really nice. Probably the thing I found the strangest was that they took a picture of each of us with their mascot. Looking back now, I can see how it was helpful--they had a picture of each PNM and a name matched up to it. So, it was unique to stick them out in our minds, but it was also helpful for them when they were doing voting and all that. I left happy, and Galinda was definately high on my mental list. I felt I fit in with the sisters and they made me very comfortable.

Elphaba--The second house I visited. We lined up again, but we found ourselves a little less surprised by the enthusiastic door song sang this time. Inside I was again paired up with a girl I felt comfortable with. She was nice, enthusiastic about her sorority, and I felt we clicked pretty well. There was an unfortunate almost-accident on the stairs, in which I almost fell, but I wasn't the only one. When I was leaving, I found myself feeling almost the same way about Elphaba as I did about Galinda.

Fiyero--The third house I visited. Again, we were greeted by a loud door song. Over the few weeks before Recruitment, I had heard that Fiyero was the largest sorority on campus. We went inside. I saw Mary, she waved enthusiastically, but I was paired up with a different sister. The sister I was paired up with was a lot quieter than the ones I was paired up with at the other houses. The tour of the house was nice and I enjoyed learning about the sorority, but I didn't feel I connected as well with the other sisters and I didn't feel quite as comfortable as I had at the other two houses.

Nessarose--The last house I visited. Through the grapevine, I had heard that this was the smallest chapter on campus. We were greeted once again by a door song, although it was a little quieter than those of the other three. Now, I know that this had nothing to do with the enthusiasm of the house, but simply because there were less sisters here than at the other three. Inside, I was paired up with another PNM (we'll call her Danielle) and a sister. After a few minutes, Danielle got snatched up by another sister and I was left with the one I was originally with. We started talking about all the normal small-talk stuff, and when I told her my major (Creative Writing) she got incredibly excited because she was an English major too. After that, the conversation flowed easily. We found out we were in marching band together (although, in different sections, which is why we had never met), and then I got a tour of the house. As I left, Nessarose went close to the top of my list too, tied with Galinda. I again had felt incredibly comfortable at this house and enjoyed talking with the sisters.

After the rounds, I found the other band girls and Katie, and we got our stuff out of the car. My floor group had a short meeting with Janet and Jessica, settling times for Sunday afternoon for Philanthropy Round. We would be making our first cuts later in the week, a couple days before the final weekend of Recruitment. All in all, I was very excited about Recruitment now, and couldn't wait until Sunday.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you had fun, and approached RUSH (blame it on the age) with a great attitude.

Update again soon!

-

"My Crown is in my heart, not on my head;" ~King HenryVI, Shakespere~
Old 06-24-2007, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirbear View Post
Yes, I am, actually! I didn't think many people on here had heard of ONU.
My cousin is a Theta at ONU!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hijack...

I saw WICKED in Atlanta and loved it. Just finished reading Son of a Witch a few minutes ago..interesting ending, lol.

Back to your thread.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
Hijack...

I saw WICKED in Atlanta and loved it. Just finished reading Son of a Witch a few minutes ago..interesting ending, lol.

Back to your thread.
I'm seeing it in Columbus in a week and couldn't be more excited. And I JUST bought Son of a Witch and can't wait to read it...I've heard it's really good...

Anywho...

So, let's fast forward to Sunday. I wake up early, because Philanthropy Round was set to begin around one. As the minutes tick by, I get dressed in some nice black pants and a nice top. I spend my free time trying to distract myself from looking at the clock...I'm super excited for the second round. Janet and Jessica told us that, while WE won't be doing any cuts before Philanthropy, some of the chapters might make cuts, so, unless they tell us otherwise, we're all going to all four chapters. The PNMs on our floor meet down by the windows, by the chairs at the far end of the hall, with Janet and Jessica. I'm glad I'm able to meet my floor group this round, instead of being hurried off to a round late because of band. Because this isn't Open House, we've been told that we won't be going to the sorority houses and the four parties will be held throughout campus--a couple in the student union, a couple in the Pharmacy building. All the PNMs and Rho Chi's meet in the student union and the head Rho Chi gives the assignments of the round orders. We find our traveling groups and head out. I'm excited about getting invited back to all four parties.

Elphaba--This was my first party of the afternoon. While waiting in line in the hall outside the room in the student union, I found out Danielle was also invited back to all four parties. Since we were standing near each other, we talked about the different parties from Friday night--she told me she was a little upset that she was invited back to Nessarose, because she found the sisters to be too annoying. I shrugged. I liked Nessarose, but to each her own--I was only a little sad because I liked Danielle, and being a pledge sister with her would be fun, but we had such different opinions on one of my top choices that I didn't think it was quite possible anymore. The door finally opened, we heard another cheery door song, and we all entered. Again, I was paired with a sister I seemed to click with pretty well. We had a lot to talk about, and I really loved how passionate she was about Elphaba's philanthropy. We made bracelets, which was a fun activity to do while we all chit-chatted. At the end of the party, I felt really good about Elphaba, and loved their philanthropy.

Galinda--The second party of the afternoon for me. This party was in the Pharmacy building, so our group reorganized for the girls only going to three parties and headed off across campus. We waited outside the door once again, and when the door opened we heard another door song (although, we were incredibly used to this particular tradition by now). Inside, the Galindas were all wearing what looked like zoo keeper's uniforms in their colors, and there were animal drawings on all the tables. Our pictures with their mascot from Open House were hanging on the wall, and we got the chance to find our picture before grabbing a snack and settling down. I was, once again, paired with a sister I felt comfortable with. We had a really good conversation as I put together the kid gift bag we were making. As we left, I kind of kicked myself (figuratively), because every time I thought I had my top choice picked out, I'd go to another party and I'd feel excited about that one too. While that was lucky for me, because I could picture myself with three out of the four sororities, it was really frustrating.

Fiyero--The third party of the afternoon, back at the student union. This was the one sorority that I hadn't felt I really fit in with at Open House, but I thought maybe at this party that would change. We were greeted with another door song, and entered to find the activity room decorated in bright colors like Mardi Gras. I was paired up with a particularly quiet sister this time and the small talk while we crafted masks for kids to play with was incredibly forced. Leaving this party, I felt I had at least picked my bottom choice for the cuts later in the week. I just didn't feel I fit in at all with many of the sisters of Fiyero and would be happier in one of the other three.

Nessarose--The final party. We hiked back over to the Pharmacy building, lined up in the hall, heard the door song, and entered the room. The entire room was decorated with kids toys and fleece blankets. I found myself paired with the sister from my section in band. We sat at a table with the sister I had met on Friday (the English major) and with a few other PNMs and sisters as well. We made fleece tie blankets together for a Children's Hospital and the conversation flowed easily. Once again, as I left, I felt a little frustrated because Nessarose, Galinda, and Elphaba were so closely tied for first choice in my mind. I calmed myself down by telling myself I didn't really have to choose between these three for cuts until after Sisterhood round next Friday.

All the PNMs and Rho Chi's met back at the student union for a quick meeting. Our floor group found Janet and Jessica and we set up a Recruitment meeting, discussed the time we had to be in our rooms for cuts, and then headed back to our dorm. I couldn't believe the final weekend of Recruitment was so close, but was incredibly excited!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, I really don't know how you people that had really spread out recruitments did it! I thought I was going to die just having to wait 12 hours to get my invites back, I can't imagine 5 days!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait for the next update!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Great update! Can't wait to hear more.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple days after the first weekend of Recruitment, our floor had our last meeting with Janet and Jessica. To celebrate the final meeting, Janet and Jessica brought stuff for root beer floats. After having some girl talk time, we went over what we were all wearing for the last two rounds this weekend. Janet and Jessica also let us know what to expect on Bid Day on Sunday. They told us that we had to be in our rooms, with our doors shut, at 1:00pm on Sunday afternoon. They said if we got a bid, we would go to the field house at about 3:00pm and we should wear layers, since we'd get tshirts when we got there. Then we finalized times for cuts, times for the rounds on the weekend, and Janet and Jessica gave us a chance to guess what chapters they were in. The group decided Janet was a Theta almost immediately. We couldn't quite decide what Jessica was.

The next day marked cuts. I sat in my room, with the door closed, for a while before I heard Janet and Jessica's knock. I opened the door and they both stood there with a card, grinning. They told me I had to cut one chapter and that I just had to cross off the one I didn't want to return to. I was excited to find out I had been invited to all four parties for Sisterhood on Friday night. After thinking for a moment, I crossed off the chapter I chose to cut--Fiyero.

I closed the door again, feeling good about the coming weekend.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you just did, but update again soon

-

"My Crown is in my heart, not on my head;" ~King HenryVI, Shakespere~