GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,148
0 members and 1,148 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Question for lawyers/law students

I start law school in the Fall.

My father is an attorney, and has been for 35 years. He's VERY accomplished. He was 1st Assistant Attorney General under probably the most activist AG Administration this state has ever seen. Turned all 3 branches of government on their head. As a result, he's probably argued as many jury trials, or as many times in front of the Supreme Court as anyone in the state... etc. etc... very accomplished..

Anyhow, when I start school, I'll have worked as his assistant for 1 year. Everyone I've talked to thus far (students, lawyers, judges) has told me how I'll have such an edge on everyone in my classes because of my experience dealing with real clients, real situations, a variety of different types of cases, etc. I'll admit, through it all, I don't deal with legal concepts. I deal with fact gathering, fact analysis, compiling discovery, sorting through discovery, that sort of thing (the grunt work).

As I said, everyone says I'll have this huge "edge". And as I've been reading through some of my dad's old law treatises (reading through one on Contracts right now), I'm realizing how I haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to dealing with legal concepts. When everyone says that I'm advantaged, what do they mean? What will I be better prepared for that no one else will be? I'm told this almost on a daily basis, but looking at the material, having sat through a class up at the school now, etc., I just don't see it. What can y'all tell me that'll clear this up for me?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2005, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question for lawyers/law students

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Everyone I've talked to thus far (students, lawyers, judges) has told me how I'll have such an edge on everyone in my classes because of my experience dealing with real clients, real situations, a variety of different types of cases, etc.
I honestly don't think you'll have any edge in your classes, except perhaps a trial techniques or client counseling class, or eventually a clinic or practicum- which you won't have first year. You WILL have an edge in getting a job b/c you'll have that on your resume.

Law school, especially first year and your substantive law classes, really isn't reflective upon the actual practice of law. If you haven't touched much substantive law, then you really don't have an edge. Law school doesn't really deal with real situations, lol. However, you may have a psychological edge if your classmates think you have an edge

But, caveat- Personal advice: don't talk all the time about your work at your dad's firm. Don't use it for examples in class. You'll end up being "that guy".
We had a guy who had worked for a firm, not sure in what capacity, but he'd always talk about it like it made him king shit. In reality, it made him king dipshit. Most of the time he was totally pulling things out of his behind or was saying things that were dead wrong.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Question for lawyers/law students

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I honestly don't think you'll have any edge in your classes, except perhaps a trial techniques or client counseling class, or eventually a clinic or practicum- which you won't have first year. You WILL have an edge in getting a job b/c you'll have that on your resume.

Law school, especially first year and your substantive law classes, really isn't reflective upon the actual practice of law. If you haven't touched much substantive law, then you really don't have an edge. Law school doesn't really deal with real situations, lol. However, you may have a psychological edge if your classmates think you have an edge

But, caveat- Personal advice: don't talk all the time about your work at your dad's firm. Don't use it for examples in class. You'll end up being "that guy".
We had a guy who had worked for a firm, not sure in what capacity, but he'd always talk about it like it made him king shit. In reality, it made him king dipshit. Most of the time he was totally pulling things out of his behind or was saying things that were dead wrong.
I appreciate that.

I've hung out a lot with some 2L and 3L students up there. They're hooking me up with some amazing stuff (course outlines, old assignments, etc.) I've sort of been "adopted" by some of the children of other local trial lawyers.. I've even been handed an officer position in one of the law school organizations for next year.

As far as jobs/internships, I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about that. We have an amazing client base. Hopefully, if I can get through this, and am not an absolutely retarded attorney, I'll have a really good thing going for me.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma