GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,284
1 members and 1,283 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-02-2002, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I want to be rush chair!

Hi! I would really like to be the rush chair for 2003, so I was wondering if any of you had any advice on anything I can do during this Fall's rush, and 1st semester to stand out to my sisters and make them think of me when it comes time to select newofficers. My chapter is very large, so I'm sure there will be a lot of girlsinterested as well. I would really love to have that job & Think I would do a good job! Thanks so much!
Old 07-02-2002, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

this spring i realized that i wanted to be rush chair of my fraternity. it was my first semester as an active and seeing that rush is such a big deal i knew i had to prove myself in order to be named fall rush chair. anyway, i took all my ideas, all the plans and hopes i had for rush that were swirling around in my head and put them on paper. basically i planed out fall rush entirely. from events, to advertising, sponsors, etc. i printed it all out and titled it "my rush ideas"---in total it was 10 pages. i posted one at the house so everyone could see my ideas, and gave copies to the president and other important people in my house. this showed that i had determination and at the end of the semester when the new committee chairs were announced i was rush.

good luck!
Old 07-02-2002, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

First thing you should do is participate in everything rush, whether it be working lit tables, passing out flyers or making banners. Another thing is to work with the current rush chair. I dont know if you guys do jr. chairs or chair committies( rush chair assistants), but if you do get on them. Lastly make a good impression on the current rush chair, for at our chapter the previous rush chair pretty much tells the chapter what person is right for the job. good luck!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Actively participate in all rush related events, ask the rush chairs/committee if they need help with ANYTHING (rush can get hectic they may need extra help), and start compiling a list of ideas that you can present to your organization!

Good luck, rush chair is really fun and exciting!
Old 07-03-2002, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

volunteer to help your rush chair as much as possible!(this means going beyond the duties that every sister is expected to fullfill!) rush is an exciting but also very stressful time! and she will need as much help and support as one can give! sure, the chapter will support them BUT make sure you are the first to ask. my suggestion, get in touch with your chapters rush chair NOW and find out if there are any summer preparations you can help with, if you are helping outn now she may be more likely to ask of your help again when rush starts!) also, if you have any unique ideas that can be used for informal rush...talk them up with the rush chair and other sisters! good luck

meghan
membership recruitment chair 2002
Old 07-03-2002, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hootie -
I understand completely. I haven't been saying anything to the chapter about wanting this position, I would just like to stand out, so the chapter will remember me when it comes that time. I won't campaigning by any means. I would love to have the position but I won't be upset at all if the chapter fels thatsomeone else would be better suited.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
in my years in chi omega, i definately saw girls that by being overly 'helpful' it was obvious that they were essentially campagning for the position that they wanted, i'd say 9 times out of 10 they were not slated because of it..just keep in mind it can become pretty apparent when someone is trying hard for the position they want
Old 07-03-2002, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to whiteroses
I am in the same situation as you. I want to be rush chair next spring. We have slating in november so hopefully by helping out and showing that i am commited to chi o and its membership will let people know i am interested and a good canidate Also my big is rush chair for this year so i can really she want she does and try to get ideas and help out as much as possible. Best of luck to you ......pm if u want to swap some pointers
Old 07-03-2002, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by xok85xo
in my years in chi omega, i definately saw girls that by being overly 'helpful' it was obvious that they were essentially campagning for the position that they wanted, i'd say 9 times out of 10 they were not slated because of it..just keep in mind it can become pretty apparent when someone is trying hard for the position they want
i take HUGE offense to this because in my chapter we are encouraged to shadow sisters who hold positions we might like to hold in the future. we are not campaigning for ourselves. it is simply a way to learn more about the position. especially in wasy that aren't apparent to the entire chapter. i shadowed a sister last year...and guess what i am rush chair this year! and i did in no way walk around with my picket sign saying "vote meghan: rush chair!" being helpful and wanting to learn about a position are in no way "campaigning" as you put it.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:02 PM

Yikes! Like Meghan, I'm much more familiar with sisters showing active interest and taking initiative to learn about an office when interested. I held a variety of Recruitment-related positions in school and did everything from sitting on the Rush Committee to serving my school as Panhellenic Rush Chair. To this day, almost 19 years after going through COB, Rush/Recruitment is truly one of my favorite things

I think that if a sister is excited and desires a position it's a *good* thing. Of course, there may be other(s) who are more qualified or a better fit for the position than LilmissXO. There also may be an office that LilmissXO would be even better qualified for due to her interest and active involvement with Recruitment.

In no way do I know how Chi Omega (or anyone else of course!) handles selection of their officers, so I'm going to base my reply on my own experiences. Some things I mention may not seem to be directly Recruitment related, but remember we are Always Recruiting in everything we say and do!

Unless it's just a huge no-no in Chi Omega--I'd think that doing all you can to help the chapter with all ongoing recruitment work is the best way to show your interest and qualifications for next year's elections. It may not mean that you'd get chosen, and certainly avoid coming off like "I'm doing this now but I want the title and glory next year." I'm sure you wouldn't do that though!!

Be there when it's time to work on Recruitment. By being there, I mean physically and mentally, on time and dressed appropriately. If you have to miss something that is Recruitment-related that isn't manditory, let your sisters know why and make sure to find out what went on. Let your words and actions show you care about your chapter and your International organization, now and in the future.

It goes without saying to attend 100% of all required chapter functions throughout the year, Recruitment or not! Be involved with the chapter as a whole, the Recruitment officers should be actively involved in all aspects of their chapter and campus. Strive to always, always, always be Panhellenic in your words and actions. A Greek System is only as strong as it's weakest chapter. Support all groups on your campus at all times, period. Show your pride in Chi Omega and your fellow greeks always.

Strive to be a sister that your chapter knows can be counted on when it comes to Recruitment. Be willing to do the hard, dirty work and not just the jobs that "show" exterally. Do what you can to get your other sisters involved and excited about Recruitment. Learn about your New Member Education and ongoing Member Ed programs and be able to discuss it informatively (and entertainingly!) during Recruitment. Think about it, both of these can be offices that work WITH Recruitment and vice-versa. Reach out to area alumnae and keep them involved with the chapter's Recruitment plans and needs (as directed by your International organization.) Learn how Chi Omega as an organization approaches Recruitment and assist the current Recruitment-related officers as allowed. Practice your conversation skills and remember that Recruitment **NEVER** ends. Let your excitement and pride in Chi Omega show in *all* that you do, and you will be rewarded.

I hope some of this helps and I didn't ramble too much!
Fraternally,
Christin