GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,463
1 members and 2,462 guests
navane

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA

I'm participating in recruitment this fall at a large SEC school as a Sophomore. My GPA is a 3.0 which is decent, but at the same time obviously not the best. On the form where you register for recruitment it does not require that you enter your current GPA so should I leave this out or include it anyways (I've already told all of the women writing my recs my GPA as well). I don't mind doing either, I just want to do the thing best for recruitment (and obviously if asked I wouldn't lie about it).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-19-2012, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

If they don't ask something, don't offer it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 AM
GreekChat Member

How competitive is it to rush as a sophomore at you school, PNM 128? Tbh, I feel like that alone will destroy my chance at UT..someone verify?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
If they don't ask something, don't offer it.
This.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

They'll have it anyway and make grade cuts accordingly. If there isn't a spot on the form for you to add it then it's not necessary to put it there.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallygwen View Post
How competitive is it to rush as a sophomore at you school, PNM 128? Tbh, I feel like that alone will destroy my chance at UT..someone verify?
No. There are only two things that will, on their own, destroy your chance.

1. Not keeping an open mind to ALL the sororities.
2. Not being able to move on and shake it off when a sorority cuts you, even if it was one of the ones you liked best.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It is on the form, but it isn't one of the "required" aspects. Either way, they request a transcript so they have access to the information. So I guess I'll just be forthcoming.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You won't be asked for your gpa during regular party conversations but the houses will definitely know your gpa because Greek Life has access to your records/transcripts and that info is included in the data they send along with your registration info.

Personally, a 3.0 is not that bad for a sophomore. It is a respectable gpa for a college student. Not exceptional but not terrible either!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Personally, a 3.0 is not that bad for a sophomore. It is a respectable gpa for a college student. Not exceptional but not terrible either!
Except when it comes to a sophomore going through recruitment at an extremely competitive school with high chapter GPA requirements to boot. That's an entirely different kind of situation for a 3.0 student.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Except when it comes to a sophomore going through recruitment at an extremely competitive school with high chapter GPA requirements to boot. That's an entirely different kind of situation for a 3.0 student.
I disagree- I am familiar with SEC recruitments and 3.0 might be the cutoff for incoming freshmen, but not for college students. I am not insisting that it is a super great gpa, but certainly all B's in college classes can be considered respectable.

**Her GPA is not going to be the trouble in the SEC world, being a sophomore is the liability.

OP - have you already gone through recruitment at this school? Are you transferring in?
Old 05-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I disagree- I am familiar with SEC recruitments and 3.0 might be the cutoff for incoming freshmen, but not for college students. I am not insisting that it is a super great gpa, but certainly all B's in college classes can be considered respectable.

**Her GPA is not going to be the trouble in the SEC world, being a sophomore is the liability.

OP - have you already gone through recruitment at this school? Are you transferring in?
Maybe at a place like Bama or Ole Miss. UGA GPAs are a very different beast than those in the less academically selective SEC competitive schools.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sorry for the late response, I have been very busy working almost full time. I have not gone through recruitment before and I am not transferring in. The reason I didn't rush my freshman year is that I'm a difficult science major and was taking difficult classes while working about 20 hours a week. I thought all of that coupled with experiencing a new environment and having that inevitable freshman attitude AND participating heavily in a sorority would cause my grades to suffer. However, after maturing A LOT over this past year I realized that I truly do want to be in a sorority and I can make time as well as keep my grades up. Also, does it make a difference that my spring semester GPA was significantly higher than my fall or do they only look at cumulative average?

Last edited by PNM128; 06-13-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM128 View Post
Sorry for the late response, I have been very busy working almost full time. I have not gone through recruitment before and I am not transferring in. The reason I didn't rush my freshman year is that I'm a difficult science major and was taking difficult classes while working about 20 hours a week. I thought all of that coupled with experiencing a new environment and having that inevitable freshman attitude AND participating heavily in a sorority would cause my grades to suffer. However, after maturing A LOT over this past year I realized that I truly do want to be in a sorority and I can make time as well as keep my grades up. Also, does it make a difference that my spring semester GPA was significantly higher than my fall or do they only look at cumulative average?
Considering your GPA is only 3.0, you did the right thing not going through recruitment while taking those difficult classes and working 20 hrs per week. What is different now? Are you still in a science major? The classes don't get easier as you go along, they get harder. Pledging does take a lot of time and effort. Whether or not a chapter looks at the cumulative or semester GPAs is not something we can tell you. It is a secret process of each group and they may all do it differently. If they want you badly enough, they may take into consideration your improvement. If they want to get rid of you they may just say, "Meh, she's a sophomore with a 3.0." We don't know. We aren't in the chapters. The only thing you can do is go in as the best version of yourself and stop worrying so much about what happens on the other side and about things that you cannot change.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

In my experience, chapters do not see semester by semester GPAs, only cumulative ones, but your school may be different.

That being said, the chapters might look at your GPA, your major, and the fact that you were working(if you list your job on your form) and take that in to consideration. Take and chance, but be prepared to roll with the punches and give every chapter a chance.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Considering your GPA is only 3.0, you did the right thing not going through recruitment while taking those difficult classes and working 20 hrs per week. What is different now? Are you still in a science major? The classes don't get easier as you go along, they get harder. Pledging does take a lot of time and effort. Whether or not a chapter looks at the cumulative or semester GPAs is not something we can tell you. It is a secret process of each group and they may all do it differently. If they want you badly enough, they may take into consideration your improvement. If they want to get rid of you they may just say, "Meh, she's a sophomore with a 3.0." We don't know. We aren't in the chapters. The only thing you can do is go in as the best version of yourself and stop worrying so much about what happens on the other side and about things that you cannot change.
Thanks for your advice I definitely plan on going in and just being positive. To answer your question about what changed, I think I matured GREATLY between my first and second semesters (which also explains my grade differences) and I am maturing even more so throughout this summer. I know classes get more difficult and yes, I still am a science major, but the difference is I'm better with my time management. I used to be a procrastinator but I've been working on that and if I find I'm struggling juggling all three my first semester then I'm going to take a break from work if anything else. But I honestly don't think I'll have a problem this go around because I know what to expect with my classes now.

Quote:
In my experience, chapters do not see semester by semester GPAs, only cumulative ones, but your school may be different.

That being said, the chapters might look at your GPA, your major, and the fact that you were working(if you list your job on your form) and take that in to consideration. Take and chance, but be prepared to roll with the punches and give every chapter a chance.
Ahh, I see. I was just curious as to whether they had the information to see my classes and semester grades as well as cumulative (I send the Greek Life office my transcript so maybe they do?). I know I'll face hard cuts but I am going in with an open mind so I hope that works in my favor! Thank you!