GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,183
1 members and 1,182 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2001, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Jobs

Hi Everyone! I'm in the process of looking for a summer job and I started wondering what the people on the board do for the $$$. I'm still doing part-time jobs but I know some of ya'll are older and actually have careers (scary http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif ). I'm interested in hearing about both. So I'll start us off- I love children so most of my jobs have been in daycares or as a nanny. Oh and I worked as a receptionist in a gym in high school. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
Old 04-17-2001, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I, too, love children. I did the standard high school job at a deli, and once in college moved on to what I loved. Since then I've worked in Daycares, Summer camps, group homes, delinquent prisons, middle schools, big sister programs, and have currently been working as a cocktail waitress at a fancy schmansy resort in Wisconsin. So, basically, I plan on working with kids once I'm out of college, but until then, I make a ton of money where I work. It's so easy being a cocktail waitress, I serve drinks and barfood. I also bartend. Hey! If anyone lives in Wisconsin and needs a summer job we're hiring, and I've been promoted to supervisor!

------------------
"For every lie I unlearn I learn something new..." Ani Difranco
Old 04-17-2001, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

The best money I ever made at a part-time job was being a server at a popular restaurant/bar. I worked there at night and on weekends to pay bills while doing an unpaid summer internship for my marketing degree a few years ago. The money is great, the people are fun, and you can pretty much set your own schedule.

Even though I've been working in the "real world" at a marketing research firm for the past couple of years, I still liked waiting tables so much that I took a part-time slot when a new Buffalo's Cafe opened last year near my old apt.

When I moved 3 months ago I had to give it up as it is too far from my new place. But if a new Buffalo's ever opens near me, I'll go back just for fun!

Hope this helps!
Carrie
Old 04-17-2001, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

The best money I ever made was as a gravel racker. The pay rate actully sucked, but I worked so many hours that I sort of beat the system. Actully the title of my job was "golf course matinence." The needed help rebuilding the golf course at the country club I worked at, so I did that. IT wasn't too bad till I blacked out from the heat. Screw doing that. Hopefully, I will get a job at a bank this summer as a teller or something.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

TG, I don't know what your plans are in the future, but getting a job with a pediadontist (is that a word?) or an orthodontist would be good background if you wanted a dental career working primarily with children.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:15 AM

Waiting on tables is definitely a great paying job for the summer, but it can put a dent in the social life since the best tips are usually made at dinner time and in the evening. What I did for 2 of my summers in college was worked as a bank teller. Most banks have teller training programs for college students so that they can replace the fulltime tellers who take their vacations. I never had to work nights or weekends and the pay was really good ($6.50 an hour, this was in 1987) Good luck!
Old 04-18-2001, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
Let's see. I started as a cashier at Caldor's, then moved onto customer service there. I then left and did telemarketing and quit after 3 weeks! HATED THAT JOB! Then I worked in retail! NEVER AGAIN!! Then I started work at a hotel and have worked in the hotel business ever since. I am now planning on going into Student Affairs in Higher Ed and becoming a Greek Advisor... http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif
Old 04-18-2001, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

The best college job I have had was bartender at a local night club... I would work about 7 hrs a night and walk out with over $300 in tips http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif Plus, my friends would all come down, so it felt as though I wasn't missing out on anything!
Old 04-18-2001, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Yes, bartender is definitely the most fun. On top of the tips, you get to meet lots of cute guys! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif
Old 04-18-2001, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmagrrl:
Let's see. I started as a cashier at Caldor's, then moved onto customer service there. I then left and did telemarketing and quit after 3 weeks! HATED THAT JOB! Then I worked in retail! NEVER AGAIN!! Then I started work at a hotel and have worked in the hotel business ever since. I am now planning on going into Student Affairs in Higher Ed and becoming a Greek Advisor... http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif
Sigmagrrl-are you in your Master's Program yet? I am currently working on mine at Central Florida.

------------------
Phi Love,
AEPhiSteph
Old 04-18-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Well, I worked at the Gap, and Macy's during high school.

I also waitress at The Cheesecake Factory during the summer and the holidays.

[This message has been edited by Theta-cutie (edited April 18, 2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I would recommend a job that relates to what you want to be in the future! I want to be a pediatrician, so by total coincidence, I got a job coaching gymnastics for 3 years so far. I love it because everyday is different with the kids. A friend of mine works at a country club as a life guard! That is an awesome summer job! Working on your tan and checking out the sexy guys at the same time... excellent view of them too! Hmmm... working at bebe or something would be awesome too with the discounts! I've always wanted to work at a hospital too, so if you want to major in anything that relates to that it could look good.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

prdlocal -

What resort are you working at down here? E-mail me, I'm looking desperately for a job!!! I lost your email but mine is

gerondalga26@mail.uww.edu

Thanks hon!

Who says Greeks don't make connections? http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif
Old 04-19-2001, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Amen to that Dewgirl!
Old 04-19-2001, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
My favorite summer job was the internship I had for the past two summers - I worked as a Process Engineer-Intern at a chemical manufacturing plant.

It was a BLAST! http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif I was really sold on a career as an engineer after that experience. http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

@-->---
Pure as Silver, and True Blue!
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies