GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,603
1 members and 2,602 guests
FSUZeta

Old 10-20-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AWJDZ
Is anyone having one of "those" years where nothing is going right and the kids are just insane? Our adminstration has done a 180 this year (I think they are both looking for new jobs) and the school is falling apart. Ughhh....I have gotten to the point where I am going to explode or either not go to work (ok...thats extreme)
That pretty much describes my year as well. We have a new principal who has very little experience in the education field. She will not let anyone tell her anything, though, to help her out. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and people are looking around to move to another school asap (me included)
Old 05-07-2005, 09:06 PM

*bump*

I'm provisionally certified in biology and in the state of NJ, that means I can teach 7-12. I DESPERATLY want to teach high school but every district I interview with wants to stick me in 7th or 8th grade.
My hometown offered me a position teaching 7th grade life science, and actually took me on a tour of the school (something they never do). I've perm subbed at the high school level before for the science director, and he knows how much I want to teach high school.
My problem is this- as I was touring the school, the teachers were all telling me how much they love 7th/8th grades beause its more personal, you get more of a 'home-y' feel, the kids are still impressionable, you can still do cutesy stuff, etc. All the while I'm thinking, 'this isn't what i want.'

I felt like I was PMN being taken away around a house. But instead of showing off their rec room, they were showing off their labs. All the while I'm thinking, this isn't my first choice, but they are offering me a nice "bid" with very nice benefits and a nice commute-something very difficult to get in the North Jersey area. Its not my first choice, but its also just a year long contract. If I take the job, I can essentially use them for a year to become fully certified. I'll also be done my masters and can move anywhere in the state.

Did anyone else feel like this when they were searching for job? Part of me just wants to take the job to be done with it. But every time I think about 7th grade, I think about how horrible of an age that is.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinChicaDDD
[BI felt like I was PMN being taken away around a house. But instead of showing off their rec room, they were showing off their labs. All the while I'm thinking, this isn't my first choice, but they are offering me a nice "bid" with very nice benefits and a nice commute-something very difficult to get in the North Jersey area. Its not my first choice, but its also just a year long contract. If I take the job, I can essentially use them for a year to become fully certified. I'll also be done my masters and can move anywhere in the state.

Did anyone else feel like this when they were searching for job? Part of me just wants to take the job to be done with it. But every time I think about 7th grade, I think about how horrible of an age that is. [/B]
Ya know, 7th can be a lot better than 8th.

It's a great way to get a foot in a door and experience on your resume. It's also better to have a job than to have no job. You may be able to apply for in-district jobs earlier-- they're usually posted as soon as possible within the district, and usually in-district people will have 10 days to say "hey! I want to apply for that job!" and they'll often be interviewed before the job is posted publicly outside the district.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I'm refreshing my resume tonite so I can apply to teach Pre-K for summer school. July is going to be a looooong month!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BirthaBlue4
Excuse_my_underscores_my_spacebar_has_an_attitude.

I_just_got_my_job_for_the_fall!!!_I'll_be_teaching _in_either_a_
special-ed_kindergarten_or_first_grade._I'm_excited_now._A nd_this
_school_has_a_gang_of_supplies,_so_I_won't_have_to _buy_much!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

So. I just started school this week in a teacher education program. I already have a B.A. in English, so I'm just taking all the education classes. I'm going to be starting field work in the next week or two at a MIDDLE SCHOOL, which kind of horrifies me because I want to teach high school (but middle school field work is required as well).

I've already passed the PLACE exam (which is a Colorado-only test similar to PRAXIS although I've heard it's easier, which is why I took it instead), so at least I don't have to worry about that.

I hope this is fun. I've really enjoyed learning about how I know nothing about teaching but I already have a teaching philosophy.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi, I was wondering if any body got certified thought the Houston Independent School District Alternative Certification program and how did you like it?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
I haven't read this whole thread, but wanted to contribute anyway.

I finished college in May and have moved back home to do my student teaching this fall. I'll be teaching 9th grade English and 11th grade American Lit. - I haven't had these grades before for practicum or anything, so it's good that I'm rounding out my experience.

I'm a little nervous because the teacher made it clear to me that she does not want a student teacher due to a bad experience in the past. She doesn't seem to like me much, but I'm up to the challenge. Currently, I'm trying to put together lesson plans and such for the freshmen because she intimated that I'd pretty much have those kids right off the bat.

I'm having a relatively tough time dealing with the college-to-actual world switch. It's hard for me knowing that I'm not going back to all my friends in the fall. BUT I'm trying to stay positive and look forward to what's coming next.

Anyway, yes. Excuse the rambling. I'm sure I'll have lots of teacher venting to do on here in the coming months.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4
I just got my job for the fall!!!I'll be teaching in either a special ed kindergarten or first grade. I'm excited now. And this school has a gang of supplies, so I won't have to buy much!!!
I heard from my principal, I will be teaching a special education kindergarten class, about 4-6 kids. She said we'll combine with the general ed class for certain activities or subjects.

I'm excited.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by BirthaBlue4
I heard from my principal, I will be teaching a special education kindergarten class, about 4-6 kids. She said we'll combine with the general ed class for certain activities or subjects.

I'm excited.
Wow, that is exciting!! It really takes a special kind of patience and talent to work with special education children. Good luck!!!

So I have taken on a new teaching job. I moved to Montreal to help a missionary church start a Christian school. I will actually be a supervisor and the principal. It is starting with about 12 kids and I'm super thrilled to be doing this. I just got back from training in Ottawa, and for all you Canadians, you should be very proud of your national capital, it's beautiful!! Anyway, we will be using Accelerated Christian Education curriculum. Wish me luck and if you're the praying type, please do so for me!!! Good luck to everyone else as they start new teaching jobs or continue with an old one.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question:

What kind of credential do you need to teach yearbook? One of the school districts here had a job opening and I've thought off and on about maybe teaching yearbook (or graphic design) to high school students. Is there just a general subject credential or would art be more appropriate?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have thought that an English or journalism degree would be more appropriate for yearbook.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JenMarie
I have a question:

What kind of credential do you need to teach yearbook? One of the school districts here had a job opening and I've thought off and on about maybe teaching yearbook (or graphic design) to high school students. Is there just a general subject credential or would art be more appropriate?
Well, it would help if you've worked on the yearbook staff before. Otherwise, knowledge about publishing, publishing software (we used Adobe PageMaker) and photography, layout, etc.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Would like your advice!

I've been interviewing with schools, and have one job offer. They called and left a message which I got yesterday saying they were interested in me. I did interview with another school yesterday morning.

Dilemma: School #1 is a school that is "rebuilding" their team and administration. It had an incident or two last year, which is why they are cleaning house. Pros---Very close to my house and I'll still get to teach some gifted. My daughter would be able to go to the elementary school in this district instead of the one we are zoned for ( we tried to look at it today, but it was closed). I will be able to help with the rebuilding of the curriculum, etc. and they are very interested in me helping with extra-curricular as well as there are none at this time whereas they used tohave several activities. They also use block schedule which is where I have four classes a semester--and class every day is 90 minutes.

Cons: Its recent history, and my hubby is not crazy about the area. He's not real certain if he wants my daughter to go to this other elementary school either. They need to know tomorrow if I want the position because the board meeting is next week and new hire training week of August 1st.

School #2: Is in the same district as where I taught last. I felt the interview was good. They swill make their decision late this week or early next week. The whole district is very good, and the schools are excellent.
Pros--would be teaching in a system where I already have one year of experience. they are on a 7 class day schedule. would be teaching 7th and 8th grade. Elementary school for daughter is right next door ( like 10 feet) and is excellent.

Cons: 45 minute drive every day back and forth, they won't k now until late this week early next week,

Advice, please!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, this is what I'd do prelimiarily.

Sit down in the quiet. Clear your mind. Picture the situation at school one. Think on it.

Picture the situation at school 2. Think on it.

Which vision made you feel the best?

You have to think about your daughter also. I could have had a job at an international elementary school to work with ESOL/special ed teacher, but it wouldn't have been a good school for my daughter (almost the whole school is in ESOL, which is good for me professionally, but not so good for her, as far as her learning what she needs to),

But they both seem good, I think you have to follow you're heart.