GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,198
1 members and 2,197 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

alum status

figured it out

Last edited by AlphaXi4983; 02-20-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
alum status

If you left your school and have now returned then you are required to rejoin the chapter. If you are still in school the chapter can't give you alum status. You can have inactive status (if the chapter votes to give it to you), but you are not considered an alum. If you have any questions, refer to your national bylaws under membership status.

Stephanie Bertagna Short
Area Facilitator
Old 11-01-2003, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

What happens to a girl who transfers to a school where there is no AXiD chapter, without the intention of ever being back at a school with an AXiD chapter? Does she go alum? Or does she just go inactive until she graduates?
And then...what would happen if she happened to transfer back to a school with an AXiD chapter?
Not to interrogate, I'm just curious!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to crash...your boards are more interesting than ours right now. In most NPC groups....if you transfer to a school where there is not a chapter of your sorority, you are considered an UNAFFILIATED member. If you go to a school where there IS a chapter, you do not HAVE to affiliate and you become an ALUM when your original class graduates (even if you drop out of school...you are not an alum until the year you WOULD HAVE graduated).

But the thing about returning to your orignal school where you pledged and NOT reaffiliating is kind of an odd situation. I don't know how that would be looked at...but your concern that your sisters might not be welcoming of that decision is understandable in a way because they could see it as you deliberately choosing NOT to be a part of this with them. And, if you care about these girls and your sorority, why wouldn't you want to affiliate again? If you dont want them to take it personally, I think it would be a good idea to sit down with your close friends in the chapter and share with them how you feel--that you value them and their friendship and don't want this decision to hurt them. There may be others who feel resentment, though...because you are not paying dues but may expect to still be an alum when you all graduate. It's a tough situation....
Old 11-07-2003, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiFriend
But the thing about returning to your orignal school where you pledged and NOT reaffiliating is kind of an odd situation. I don't know how that would be looked at...but your concern that your sisters might not be welcoming of that decision is understandable in a way because they could see it as you deliberately choosing NOT to be a part of this with them. And, if you care about these girls and your sorority, why wouldn't you want to affiliate again? If you dont want them to take it personally, I think it would be a good idea to sit down with your close friends in the chapter and share with them how you feel--that you value them and their friendship and don't want this decision to hurt them. There may be others who feel resentment, though...because you are not paying dues but may expect to still be an alum when you all graduate. It's a tough situation....
Well, it all depends on the situation. My roomie dropped out of school due to poor grades. Her parents blamed it on her sorority involvement (which was somewhat true, but she also hated her major, which was also a factor). She came back a year & 1/2 later and she explained that her parents had laid down the law - she had to get good grades and focus on academics. This included no longer being an active sister. Everyone understood and no one was hurt or upset. She was still welcome to attend whatever events she could.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
In our National Constitution & Bylaws this is addressed. If you don't have a copy of this you can go to the national website and under support go to resourses. You will need your initiating chapter name and you member id number to get in as this is a members only portion of the site.

Go to: Bylaws, Article 1 Membership, Sectoin 3, Status of Initiated Members, Clause 1 Activie Collegiate Status. I think D is relevant to your situation.

It basically says that unless you have been gone from your chapter for two or more consecutive academic terms, excluding summer school, you have to go back. If it has been two or more consecutive academic terms then you do not have to go back. If you want to go back after this time period, you would have to do so by written notification to the chapter.

So if you are not registered at school where you were initiated for two consecutive terms (excluding summer school), then you don't have to do anything. If you were gone only say the spring semester then came back the next fall, you MUST go back to the chapter.

I can't tell from you post how long you have been gone from your chapter. If you have any other questions, please PM me.