GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,149
0 members and 1,149 guests
No Members online

Old 08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Ah... my monster-in-law.
lmao!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
I can SOOO contribute to this conversation!
My MIL doesn't like me because 1. I'm Catholic and she's Church of Christ (apparently that makes me the devil or something) and 2. I'm a democrat

When Mr. Winnibug told her we were getting married in a Catholic Church, she told us for 1 1/2 years that she wasn't going to go, and tried to get others to boycott with her, but that didn't end up happening. :-)

She sent my hubby a text the night Babybug got Baptized making sure he was going to tell herthat she needs to be baptized again when she's old enough, and when he didn't reply, she resent it the next morning.

She's been sending me anti-Obama fwds for over a year

Her youngest son just turned 17 and he's a bit obnoxious and full of himself...they totally overindulge him...his nickname is "Money M____" and they get him crap with dollar bills signs all over it all the time, and let him dress like a wanna-be gangster (OH - and he is probably gonna be a daddy come January...and she's all about acting like the girl's some kind of superho who's preying on him because he "comes from a good family", and acts like he's completely innocent
(I need to find a way to code his nickname, so just in case he googles it, this post doesn't come up...)
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
Quote:
(I had to teach DH what a steak is supposed to taste like - medium rare!)

She doesn't give a damn about how many sleepless nights we have, how many diapers we have to change, how pregnancy and childbirth would destroy my body, how much money we have to spend to get the latest and greatest for our baby .

i have to agree with your steak comment

and i also want to add that while i know parenthood just isn't some people's cup of tea, i think it's totally worth it!!
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post

Her youngest son just turned 17 and he's a bit obnoxious and full of himself...they totally overindulge him...his nickname is "Money M____" and they get him crap with dollar bills signs all over it all the time, and let him dress like a wanna-be gangster (OH - and he is probably gonna be a daddy come January...and she's all about acting like the girl's some kind of superho who's preying on him because he "comes from a good family", and acts like he's completely innocent
(I need to find a way to code his nickname, so just in case he googles it, this post doesn't come up...)
Oh. my. word.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

SIL is here I may kill her. Will expand later, but I may tackle her down the stairs. Less than 24 hours till she is gone.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I had almost in-laws at one point; they were a major factor in why they are ex-almost in-laws.
Same here. His mother used to be Catholic and then became a Jehovah's Witness when someone came to her door. Following that conversion (no one else in her family ever converted, including my ex-bf), any time we spent together involved her asking if I wanted to be "saved" or telling me I would be "eternally damned." Don't even get me started on what she'd say to me for celebrating holidays and birthdays. And that's really only the tip of the iceberg...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My MIL doesn't like me because 1. I'm Catholic and she's Church of Christ (apparently that makes me the devil or something)
Winnibug, this happened to my mother when she married my dad. He was (initially) disowned for marrying my mom because she was an Irish Catholic and he is Episcopalian. My grandmother was such a snob!! Didn't matter that my mom's dad was a doctor - she was Irish and she was Catholic, so she was scum!

Things changed though when they had a son, the III - the only one to carry on the famiily name, then they were accepted back into the fold.

By the time I was born, all was well and we were a big happy family, but I don't think my mom ever truly got over the cruelty that was exhibited to her at their marriage (and NO, my dad's parents did not attend!!)
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Lordy, now my MIL is telling my SIL that she paid $3500 for our wedding. Ummm no. That would have been more than half and my dad paid for everything except the rehearsal dinner which was split by his parents, and his dad paid the majority of it.

She must be talking about paying for her transportation, her dress, hotel, etc... to the destination because she certainly didn't fork out anything else. I wasn't even allowed to invite out of town guests to the rehearsal.

She also had the stupidity to tell my husband, "Well, I'm going to tell you something, but don't tell your wife." He stopped her right there and said, "Anything you tell me is fair game for her. If you don't want her to know don't say anything. How dare you be so divisive!"

My husband is awesome, I have no idea how such a good man came from her.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post
and i also want to add that while i know parenthood just isn't some people's cup of tea, i think it's totally worth it!!
For you, it is worth it. And I respect your choice.

I've made a different choice. I hope you respect my choice.

The problem is that my mother-in-law does not respect my choice. Come hell or high water, she wants her grandchild. And she will not stop nagging me about it until the day she dies. And that frustrates me - I will not have a child for her.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
For you, it is worth it. And I respect your choice.

I've made a different choice. I hope you respect my choice.

And that frustrates me - I will not have a child for her.
Right. If you were to have kids, you have to have them because YOU and your husband want them. Not because your MIL won't stop nagging.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I can vent about my ne'er do well BIL and my bitch SIL (I called both of them out during the eulogy)...I wonder if they realized it
MIL was the queen enabler though. I can't vent too badly about her. Not good to speak ill of the recently departed (3/21/09)
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't even describe how badly I wanted to rip off my MIL's face!! But I'm ok now b/c I realized... she's not MY mom so I don't have to deal w/ her. My hubby is an only child and, though she's never liked me, I knew she knew if she pushed me to far what would happen.... She will not see my son unless she and my hubby work out their issues. She is the most neurotic, paranoid, bitch on wheels I've ever met, I'm just lucky that my hubby knows this and I don't have to play nice
Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

T-minus 24 days until the dreaded belle-mere shows up....I've never understood the term for mother in law in French...beautiful mother? I'm a French teacher....can we officially change it to la mere qui critique tout? (the mom who criticizes everything?) Sure, she's pretty, but being such a needy controlling b**** just kills it.

In other news, she asks the husband yesterday, "So when is AOII_LB93 going to have a baby?" As if it's just up to me and I've been the one holding back, right?

She's a mother alright ...one of the biggest mothers I know.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

So maybe for me it's not the mother-in-law (however, she did sit me down and tell me in detail about all four of her conceptions, pregnancies and births while I was at her house, alone, in a town I didn't know... still have nightmares) it's the siblings. Somehow, I don't know how, the boyfriend is very different than his family. He is the protector and, more or less, doormat. No sister, you cannot be flown out to visit your friend on boyfriend's tab because while you are still living at home with no prospect of graduating college or moving out in the next couple of years, the boyfriend is currently renting and trying to get himself out of debt cause by you and your family (as well as stupid choices from the boyfriend). Also, brother when you buy a car off of someone, that means you make payments. Yes, that does include family members. I swear with four people living in a house, with three of them working, one would think that they wouldn't have to call on the son/brother who is trying to make it on his own for money.

One more thing to the sister, you know I don't agree with you so as you sit there talking about how you like to share your opinions because you like to make people uncomfortable, think of it this way, are we uncomfortable because of your opinions or because you sound like an idiot who can't figure out which is her right hand and which is her left. Not that differing opinions is bad, she just has really shaky foundations for them. Also she can't seem to walk 100 feet to a car so she makes the boyfriend drive to pick her up from the front of the store and house.

One more thing, while I would love for his parents to visit him/us, one would think they would check with us first before they began to make plans. As it is, that is my finals week and the boyfriend's busiest time at work throughout the entire year.

That felt good. I have a feeling there will be more later...

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
One more thing, while I would love for his parents to visit him/us, one would think they would check with us first before they began to make plans. As it is, that is my finals week and the boyfriend's busiest time at work throughout the entire year.
I hear ya there....my MIL is showing up the weekend right after work restarts, which also happens to be recruitment weekend at my university - which I wanted to go help with for at least one day. Now could I escape to go do recruitment stuff, sure....but then she says negative things about me, my house, etc... to my husband and anyone else she visits while in town. It's just peachy.

Just because airline tickets are cheap doesn't mean we want you here for yet another visit or have the time for you. I swear I've seen her more since she moved out of state then when she lived 10 minutes away. She comes for at least 4-5 days at a time 6 or more times per year.

Two years ago when we bought our house, we closed escrow on July 20th. Moved in on the 22nd, and she was here by the 27th. She said she would be happy to help me unpack...I had it all done by the 24th so I could put the stuff where I wanted it.

Ok, I think I feel better now...off to do some chores around the house. :P