GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,066
1 members and 1,065 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Did I not say that a chapter could host a program called 'the myths of sorority life'?? That program could address all stereotype associated with chapters.

If that is the way your chapter decides to handle that issue than good. I don't agree with it but my opinion doesn't matter since I'm not in your chapter nor a member of a NPC sorority.
OK then, that's what I was asking. I don't think that a program like that would be a BAD idea... but I would guess that the guilty parties spreading the rumors would not realize that the program was directed towards then. However, our Panhellenic does put on a program on the myths of sorority life on Convocation night of Recruitment. It is an excellent way to address these topics to potential new members. We do not have rumors of racism on our campus though, so that is not a feature of the presentation.

AND YES, YOUR OPINION DOES MATTER. If I didn't think your opinion mattered, I would not have asked you in the first place. Naturally you don't have control over what my chapter does... but I wouldn't put it out there on GreekChat for public consumption if it weren't open to opinion.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I tend to agree that this could be a REALLY GOOD thing to do. I know on my campus, every sorority has their stereotype...it isn't just one or two. By holding a program such as this, maybe that will dispel some of the BS. Good thought Epit!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Not saying throw a fit. Maybe get PHC to host a forum. "Myths about Sorority Life"etc. If you dont say anything then the myth will continue. JMHO.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I still remember what one of my roommates told me when she was going through recruitment.

"I heard that ABC serves little cheesecakes at their parties and they watch if you eat any. If you do, you get cut because that's how they make sure they get girls who are watching their weight."

According to her, that group also "circled the fat" too.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I did read in a rumor website or book a loooooong time ago that some sorority offered a girl seconds during rush. And that the girl accepted. And that they cut her off automatically due to that because "it was not ladylike to have seconds".

Anyhow, I had heard horror stories about a certain sorority on campus. From "they did drugs" to "they are a cult" and then some. Yet at rush, they were one of the houses I liked best. It was the last one I went to. And I remember when I went home telling my mother how much I liked that house.

Some facts are verifiable, such as "this house has many honor students". But others are just junk you should not listen to, such as "this house dresses you in plastic bags and circles your fat". And yet others are rather positive, but trickier to confirm, such as "they are very prim and proper" or "they are very athletic".

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 06-13-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
a/c

Auburn holds recruitment is August, in Alabama. So it's REALLY hot.

This one is my favorite.

"Eta Omicron Tau turns off their a/c to weed out all the complainers." The truth is that it's August, in the South, there are over 150 people in a small chapter room, and the a/c units aren't designed to handle that much heat. If the a/c is off, it's not because the sorority wanted it to be that way.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorites have been:

XYZ makes you drink until you puke on Bid Night.

BB has a coke problem and you will too, if you join.

AAA are all brunette.

RSTs are all sluts and you have to sleep with three fraternity boys before initiation.

MN is all blondes and you have to be born below the Mason Dixon line to get in.

GHI makes you pair up with an AB fraternity pledge for the semester and go to all their parties, but you can't date/hook up with anyone but him.

JKL makes you go through initiation naked and it involves drawing blood.

And all of these are insane and untrue. I'll be trying to squash these rumors as a Recruitment Counselor when Rush comes, but they always end up leaking into girls ears...

Last edited by texgal; 06-14-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfpnm
LOL, as if that wouldn't come out, like, immediately. That doesn't even make sense. SOMEONE would notice that the ENTIRE chapter- 100 or so girls- had the same hair color!
We always said that about a certain chapter on campus. When even the Asian girls and black girls are blonde you have to suspect something's up. They were also the chapter that was "known" for having eating disorders.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
Some facts are verifiable, such as "this house has many honor students". But others are just junk you should not listen to, such as "this house dresses you in plastic bags and circles your fat". And yet others are rather positive, but trickier to confirm, such as "they are very prim and proper" or "they are very athletic".
This is the aspect I think would be difficult when it came time to planning a program on the so-called myths. Some of the reputations (whether negative or positive) are what they are simply because they've been earned. Meaning, XYZs really do only take girls with 3.8 GPA or higher, or ABCs are all overweight, or every homecoming queen for the past decade has been a QRS. It would be wrong for the program to insinuate to PNMs that everything they hear is false, when we all know that some of it is very true.

Don't get me wrong, I think a program would be a good idea, it'd just be hard to find a way to dispell actual myths while at the same time not dispelling actual (and maybe deserved) reputations.

Or, maybe it would be good to try to dispell all (true and false) reputations. I don't know.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM

If an ABC really has been the homecoming queen for the last 20 years, that isn't a reputation, that's a fact. However, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Maybe it's because they were all drop dead gorgeous. Maybe it's because they were all super fugly, but they had someone behind the scenes who manipulated the votes. Maybe it's because they were smart enough to only nominate one girl from their chapter, while the other sororities were stupid and nominated like 3 and the votes got split up and ABC won just because they were a little more politically savvy.

Grades are a different matter, if your national says you can only take above so and so GPA that's that.

And I have yet to see a sorority where EVERY SINGLE SISTER IN THE CHAPTER was overweight.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
And I have yet to see a sorority where EVERY SINGLE SISTER IN THE CHAPTER was overweight.

Yes, but unfortunately, 3 or 4 who are get you the "Cow" rep. Even if the rest make Nicole Richie look like a heifer.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just using examples to make a point. I didn't mean for the examples to be taken so literally. I just meant that, when preparing for such a program, it might be wise to acknowledge the fact that some of what PNMs hear in "Tent talk" is clearly false, but some of it is actually true. They shouldn't be advised to dismiss everything they hear in such discussions. That's all I'm saying.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was rushing, I heard the fat circling rumor all the time. My sorority used to have a lot of big girls in it. The first night, I went into the KLP room, took one look at half the girls, and went "yes, thank G-d, they don't circle fat!"
Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM

At any rate, any program like that would be counterproductive, because if there were any PNMs who hadn't heard the rumors or false reps before then, well guess what, they know them NOW!

The best thing to do is to say "unless the sorority itself tells you something, don't believe it." Obviously if a sorority has had the homecoming queen for 20 years running, they'll tell you. If you (PNM you) want to investigate that farther, or if you think homecoming is the dumbest thing since World War 2 and you want nothing more to do w/ them because of that, that's your business.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Hahaha. Oh ADPiUCF how right you are.

Having rushed (TWICE) via formal recrutment at UCF I gotta tell you, you've got it dead on.

The first time I went through rush I listened intently.....aaaaaaaaaaaaand wound up somewhere where I didn't really belong. Somewhere I really wasn't happy. So, I dropped.

So, I waited and rushed again.

I spent my time in the tents inwardly giggling at the stupid things the girls said and trying my best to stop them from damaging other PNM's experiences like mine had been messed with years before.

It's funny, the second way got me right where I belonged. (Imagine that)