GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,049
2 members and 1,047 guests
baadamashtolzea, Sarak24034

Old 05-08-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Charm Bracelets

I did do a search, and couldn't find it mentioned, lol.

I'm thinking about getting a charm bracelet and wondered if everyone who has one is happy with it or considers it now a waste of money, hassle cause it gets in the way, etc.

And my stupid question of the day, (so far, lol). Are the charms easy to put on, take off? I keep thinking of my dangles I have on my badge that I have to take to a jeweler to have put on/taken off.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2003, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming from someone in the jewelry business:

I would go to your local jewelry store and ask to see their selection of charms that can be ordered. Rembrandt is a great company and makes quality charms.

Charms are easy to put on and require two needle-nose plyers. However I always suggest letting a jeweler put them on and solder the ends together so they don't fall off...often women will snag them and if they're not soldered it stretches the opening on the "o" ring and they come undone.

On the same thought I am hoping to get a charm bracelet. I am hoping to revolve it around a travel theme!
Old 05-08-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I love mine. I have three. But I don't wear them to work, because they make too much noise when I type.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

charms bracelets

I have two charm bracelets. One charm bracelet has important life moments remembered, and one is specific for AOII. I love them, but I do not get to wear them very much because they interfere with my typing.
Silver
Old 05-08-2003, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I love mine, too. There are a few more charms I'd like to get.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I love my charm bracelet. I got mine for my 18th birthday and all the charms represent an important events in my life or my hobbies - high school graduation, sailing team charm, French charm, a college graduation, a phi mu charm and a few others. I really only wear it on special occaisions. I have all my charms added by a professional jewler.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, when I was young I used to think that charm bracelets were kind of nerdy because my mom wore one when she was in high school (the kiss of death for a daughter who thinks she knows everything).

But, now that I have learned to appreciate retro. stylings and sentimentality, and realized that my mom rocks , I think charm bracelets are such a quaint, touching item to have.

I don't know anything about what they are like these days, but I definitely advocate getting one, even if you don't wear it much. It will be an awesome item to look back at, and to share with your family in the future.

My only advice: Go quality, all the way. The best metals and work done by a jeweler. You don't want to invest effort into something just to have it fall apart.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

i used to think they were kinda dorky too... but now i think theyre super cute

my mom has one that revolves around a travel theme:

a shamrock from when i went to ireland
and eiffel tower from paris
dolphin from hawaii
a little boat from one of her cruises
a sombrero from mexico
cactus from arizona

she has a bunch more but i can't remember them whenever she wears it she always has a fun story for people about each charm - it's a great converation starter!
Old 05-09-2003, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
My mother has a charm bracelet also. It is so heavy from all of her charms.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a silver charm bracelet as well! Each of the charms represents someone special in my life, a sentiment or a hobby of some sort. For example:

Cross = my Christian faith
Ice skate = my 10 years as a figure skater
Comedy & tragedy masks = my involvement in theatre
Heart with the word "Mom" = in rememberance of my late mother
Horse = my boyfriend, his nickname is "Gert Big 'Orse", based on an inside joke regarding the silly Bristol accent.
Cow = me, my boyfriend calls me "Cheeky Cow"
Artist's pallete = one of my best friends, she's an artist

** Will be adding: airplane for my dad (worked for an airline), something cooking related for my sister (a chef), something cheerful for my best friend, an archery item, a mortarboard for my professional and personal committment to higher education and, if I ever get initiated, a sorority charm. When I get married and have children, I will add the appropriate items then.

.....Kelly
Old 05-09-2003, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Have not worn a charm bracelet since I was little.

When I was about 6 years old I tripped in my family room and put my hands down to catch myself...a couple charms stabbed me in the wrist. Not fun, I have a scar on my wrist that is about a 1/4 of an inch long.

Off subject for a moment...
Hey navane, I noticed a Bristol reference in your last post. Isn't there a Rolls Royce located in Bristol? My ex-boyfriend worked there for a while.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread
Old 05-09-2003, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sororitygirl2

I don't know anything about what they are like these days, but I definitely advocate getting one, even if you don't wear it much. It will be an awesome item to look back at, and to share with your family in the future.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of the bracelet, but after my mother purchased my niece one as a gift for participating in our Cotillion (princess and granddaughter theme), I'm thinking about purchasing one for myself. That is if I cannot talk my mother into buying one for me.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Try the ITALIAN LINK charm bracelet. My brother got me one for XMas. The charms are not very hard to put on and are really cute.
I have a martini glass and a cat that he gave me.
I got a moon (cause I am a night person)
An American Flag (for Eric Luckett in the marines!)
A heart (because I love my brother)
lipstick (because I love makeup)
and I can't remember what else.
It doesn't make any noise so I can wear it to work and makes for good coversations piece!

Facebook
Old 05-09-2003, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I have a charm bracelet that I started when I was about 7, but I don't wear it very often as it tends to get in the way.

I like the idea of those Italian bracelets, though...
Old 05-09-2003, 10:27 AM

I have two, three counting the "pre-made" one my dad got for me in San Francisco.

One was started probably when I was around 4, my mom and I had some of the same charms on both of ours. I haven't added to it for a long time but each charm has meaning.

The other one is all dogs since I am a dog lover. My first grade boyfriend got the bracelet and original collie charm for me.

And no, my growth isn't stunted, I can still wear them because you can add links!! I've always had the charms put on at my uncle's jewelry store.

I haven't worn them in a while, because bracelets in general are a pain while typing/using a mouse, and I would be way too paranoid to wear them to a club. But I just love the fact that they are there and all that history is there.