GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,543
1 members and 1,542 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 12-14-2006, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity members indicted in student death

Here's an example of how members of a chapter can be held personably responsible...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16191270/

Fraternity members indicted in student death

Hazing charges issued in last year’s alcohol-poisoning death of 18-year-old

AUSTIN, Texas - Three fraternity members were indicted Wednesday on hazing charges in the alcohol-related death last year of an 18-year-old pledge.
Phanta “Jack” Phoummarath, a freshman at University of Texas at Austin, was found dead at the Lambda Phi Epsilon house on Dec. 10, 2005.
His family alleges in a lawsuit against the fraternity that pledges were pressured to drink at the party and that someone wrote vulgar graffiti on Phoummarath’s body after he passed out.

Travis County’s chief medical examiner ruled that Phoummarath died of acute alcohol poisoning.

Fraternity president Benny Chan was indicted on seven counts of furnishing alcohol to a minor and 22 counts of hazing. Andrew Nguyen, the fraternity’s pledge captain, was indicted on seven counts of furnishing alcohol to a minor and 28 counts of hazing. And Camal Pulukuri was indicted on 14 counts of hazing.

The three men showed a “complete disregard for safety over a several-month period,” Travis County attorney David Escamilla said in Wednesday’s online edition of the Austin American-Statesman.

Attorneys for the three fraternity members could not immediately be reached for comment.

The university suspended Lambda Phi Epsilon’s status as a registered student organization until 2011 after a school investigation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

"IF" what is written is true, it is above and beyond the call for something like this happening and is really STUPID!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

The first and only national Asian American interest fraternity. Member of NIC since 1989.
www.lambdaphiepsilon.com/

I had never heard of them before and I'm not familiar with NIC orgs.

Wonder where the advisors were....
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Its true. Idiots.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Mac, I guess SAE can't team up w/ Lambda Phi Whatever for socials anymore.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM
PoohsHoneyBee

the news reported that the rituals were confiscated and will be used as evidence
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Its true. Idiots.
Were they even registered with the University?

AGDLynn, if you had not posted I would have gone on assuming this was just some underground local.

Texas has quite a few underground groups that are GLOs in lettered name only. Sucks when they get into trouble (which they do- frequently) because the media is going to treat the story as though they were a real fraternity.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

one of their chapters...looks like they frat hard.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsHoneyBee View Post
the news reported that the rituals were confiscated and will be used as evidence
wow... they should air the trial(s) on Court TV or something.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
Mac, I guess SAE can't team up w/ Lambda Phi Whatever for socials anymore.
\

Ha, yea we are all extremely upset.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

This story hit the media hard; several more news links on story:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/4401047.html

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...ate&id=4848962

http://news8austin.com/content/top_s...sp?ArID=176454

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten...raternity.html
Old 12-15-2006, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't realize that locals were kicking around Austin. Are there a lot of them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
Were they even registered with the University?

AGDLynn, if you had not posted I would have gone on assuming this was just some underground local.

Texas has quite a few underground groups that are GLOs in lettered name only. Sucks when they get into trouble (which they do- frequently) because the media is going to treat the story as though they were a real fraternity.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not a local.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgreekalum View Post
I didn't realize that locals were kicking around Austin. Are there a lot of them?
As Elephant Walk just posted- this particular house was not a local just to confirm, but yes there are many underground and local houses here.

How many is difficult to say. For various reasons I have been keeping close watch on the real estate situation in West Campus lately and there are a lot of small homes owned by Greek Letter Organizations that I am not familiar with. And not all of them have letters advertised on the front door.

But whether these groups are chapters of national GLOs or not, the fact remains that they do not tend to be registered with the University. I know this because I have last semester's official Greek House map and IFC grade reports sitting on my desk right now.

For various and obvious reasons, there has been a rise in recent years of new GLOs which tend to cater to specific racial groups and have a national presence.

However, the newness of these groups and the approach they have taken with regards to operating in a semi-underground manner gives them something in common with local and underground GLOs- specifically that they do not have the history, alumni presence or formal responsibility to colleges and strong national offices that can set the proper tone for recruitment and risk management.

My research shows that this is where the real risk lies. Different chapters in different places have different boundaries as to what is acceptable or not acceptable, and we are never going to agree on that.

But it is my opinion that chapters without alumni presence and guidance (courtesy of advisors or having lots of legacies in the chapter) and that chapters who are not selective in their recruiting are the ones that have the most problems. And if you really think about it and drop the north/south and other prejudices- this makes perfect sense in ways that would take 20 pages to fully discuss and explain (though I can do it if anyone wants!)

To get back to my earlier comment, my frustration is that when these kinds of organizations have incidents- the media does not report that the chapters involved are underground, local, not registered with the University or are just a bunch of 10 random guys who decided to rent a house together and pick out 2 or 3 letters to name themselves.

All they see is Greek letters, and then a media story is born.

Just read the first 2 pages of this particular forum and consider each incident. Ask yourself if these stories would have made the news if the student(s) involved were not greek. Look at how many of the reported incidents happened away from the Greek house.

We of 100+ year history greek organizations who are formally registered with our colleges are being judged by isolated incidents that happen with students who have nothing in common with us other than they decided to call themselves something using greek letters.

That sucks.

But I could care less about what the general public thinks. What pisses me off is that so many of our own- even from within our own brotherhood at times- are so willing to pass judgement, on this forum at that, and not stop and think about what is really going on.

Last edited by EE-BO; 12-15-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

So are these organizations registered as student groups at all, or are they just not IFC/Panhel/Pan-Hel? Is there some kind of Multi-cultural Greek Council @UT? This is the route many campi are going. The cultural/ethnic fraternities becoming residential is a fairly new phenomenon at most schools. I think that they are still following more of Pan-Hel type route rather than IFC/Panhel one. I know when I was last in Austin(we had an affiliate there for 10 years) there were one or two honor/professional fraternities with houses, as well as two non-GLO groups (I know Tejas is still there). Of course it is only the last ten years or so that the University has had much of a relationship with the IFC.