GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,725
1 members and 1,724 guests
Titchou

Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Colonizing Questions

Blank

Last edited by WishfulLegacy; 09-04-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulLegacy View Post
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could get some, outside of my family, advice about attempting to bring a new sorority to my campus.

For a bit of background, I go to a small liberal arts college in Arkansas. We already have three NPC sororities and two official fraternities (I forget the name for NPC fraternities) on campus. There is a clear imbalance among the three groups. One is considered the best one, the other to aren’t even on the same level as the others. Two manage to get Quota each Spring Semester (we don’t do formal rush in the fall like other schools). However, the not as good one has a low retention rate due to many girls either dropping their letters or fail/drop out of college. The third one can’t get Quota during Spring semester due to them have a bad reputation on campus. Each sorority has their niche on campus. I was really hoping to get the best one, but they are the hardest to get into. It’s impossible to get into after formal freshman year. I’m becoming a junior and my chances of being in a well respected sorority are going down.

There are clear problems with the Greek system as they’ve allowed such a big gap to form between the NPC groups. Our formal rush isn’t huge (last year it was 47), only 57% of girls pledge a sorority, meaning almost half either dropped out or rejected their bid. I, personally, think those are terrible numbers. The quota for that year was eleven plus one quota addition. Two got their quota plus an addition while the third only got six of the possible twelve. My point is that even if each sorority would’ve gotten their eleven plus a quota addition, we could’ve had another pledge class if another sorority was on campus. Our Director has made it clear to me she isn’t interested in having a conversation with me about Greek Life, due to the fact I tried to appeal the Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreement (MRABA) because she was never clear about what we were signing or gave us a copy to review. I believe I need to go to Dean of Students.

My concern is the getting the expansion approved. Our numbers are already small and the girls I’ve been talking to, enough to make up that extra pledge class, worry about the vote for an expansion. Two already struggle and the girls and I want emphasize bringing on a strong national sorority (such as Chi Omega, Tri Delta, Delta Gamma). We understand we have no choice in which sorority is invited, but we worry by asking this, the top sorority may vote no because of competition (they are middle tier nationally). We worry by bringing on a sorority that’s weak nationally will only hurt the already damaged Greek system.

Tips and advice are greatly appreciated!!!
QFP
Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM

Having a baby to “save” a troubled marriage is a bad idea.

Doing the NPC equivalent - bringing a new sorority to a campus that has issues with retention and varying pledge class sizes - is a bad idea.

Telling the Greek system how to fix itself when you are part of the problem (you obviously got a bid to the “bad” sorority and turned it down) is a really bad idea.

Forgetting all this, colonization is a long process and the people who drive the interest group (when there is one) are not always the ones chosen by the national sorority volunteers to be part of the colony.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

So you didn't take the opportunity you were given and run with it. Then, you decided to challenge the validity of a document you already signed? Sounds like the sororities that were "beneath you" dodged a major bullet.

You could have joined the struggling sorority and channeled your energy into their future success - something more useful than righteous indignation, but you took a different path, and the letters that came with it were PITA.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
So you didn't take the opportunity you were given and run with it. Then, you decided to challenge the validity of a document you already signed? Sounds like the sororities that were "beneath you" dodged a major bullet.

You could have joined the struggling sorority and channeled your energy into their future success - something more useful than righteous indignation, but you took a different path, and the letters that came with it were PITA.
Idied.

How can anyone ever top that? I <3 you majorly, girl.

ETA: OP, your sorority ship has sailed.
ETA #2: Sororitysock thank you for the QFP!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Your campus doesn't have the numbers for a 4th sorority.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post

I humbly bow to you -- outstanding explanation.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

WishfulLegacy, I notice that you have "legacy" in your username. Are you a legacy to one of the chapters on campus or to another organization not at your school?

True and Constant
Old 09-04-2018, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Just because a sorority is strong nationally doesn't mean they will automatically be strong at your school. Every NPC has fantastic chapters and some that aren't quite as shiny. A colony is a huge building process. There are a lot of factors that contribute to an expansion including alumnae support and surrounding chapters.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hun, part of the reason there's such disparate sizes in your chapters is because girls like you think they're too good for the sororities they're offered membership to.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Some users on here are like Sherlock Holmes with figuring out schools, but after some sleuthing I think I know what school WishfulLegacy attends. Rather than throw a guess into the wind, I'll add that if I'm correct, the "nationally mid tier sororities" have both strong and weak recruiting chapters across the country, as all sororities do, because national tiers aren't real.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM

This is not how expansion works.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Just because a sorority is strong nationally doesn't mean they will automatically be strong at your school. Every NPC has fantastic chapters and some that aren't quite as shiny. A colony is a huge building process. There are a lot of factors that contribute to an expansion including alumnae support and surrounding chapters.
Not only that - the people at the school are the people at the school no matter what sororities are there. Just because the XYZ sisters at UA are all beautiful and rich, doesn’t mean a new chapter of XYZ at Some Anonymous University will be the same way, just because it’s an XYZ chapter.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Hun, part of the reason there's such disparate sizes in your chapters is because girls like you think they're too good for the sororities they're offered membership to.

This is exactly it! Girls don't get bids to whichever chapter they feel is the "best" one, and all of a sudden the school needs to expand and create a clone of the chapter that rejected them. The new chapter is not going to magically be the "best." It will be yet another chapter that girls will deem "unworthy" since it is new and "not good enough" for all of the perfect PNMs...

Side note: I am fairly sure I know which school she is referencing and I am biased, but all of the chapters are doing just fine.

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid
Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Some users on here are like Sherlock Holmes with figuring out schools, but after some sleuthing I think I know what school WishfulLegacy attends. Rather than throw a guess into the wind, I'll add that if I'm correct, the "nationally mid tier sororities" have both strong and weak recruiting chapters across the country, as all sororities do, because national tiers aren't real.
Absolutely. I can't speak for all 26 groups, but I think a lot of them miss the mark with recruitment in not emphasizing that it's not 4 years it's 4-life. More important than what the girls in the chapter you'll spend three or four years with is what will happen after graduation? What kind of alumnae programming is there? Do they have a lot of alumnae chapters or clubs nationally...especially in an area you are thinking of living in. Is their philanthropy one you can see yourself working with after you graduate? Those questions are way more important in my opinion than some bogus tiered system on greekrank.