GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello

(currently a sophomore) I've been trying to get into a sorority since FMR last semester. I don't go to a very competitive school, and I'm not picky (I would gladly accept any of our 6 sororities). I also did COB for one sorority this semester (only one sorority was accepting new members).

During FMR, I was rejected on the first day. I thought it was because I didn't do enough on campus, so I joined our campus' feminist and LGBT clubs (I go to a fairly liberal school). I thought the girls all loved me during COB but none of them ever contacted me again or invited me to any other events.

What am I doing wrong? Am I too tomboyish? How can I get in to a sorority? Are there any specific organizations/other things they like to see on resumes?

I have a 3.35 GPA. I didn't have any recommendations (I didn't even know those were a thing). The girls all seemed to like me and I don't think I did anything inappropriate.

I got cut from all the chapters at my school after day 1 of FMR.
My GPA was fine, I was talkative, so I think I should join more organizations on campus to help!

What organizations are good? What has a good reputation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Quite frankly, if you are a junior and have spent 2+years on campus without getting involved in anything you’re passionate about, that’s a huge red flag to me as a sorority member. It makes me think you want to join a sorority as a socializing shortcut, not that you want to bring anything to the chapter.
I have a lot of medical conditions and depression hit me like a freight train in freshman year That's why I wasn't very involved!

But this is my year of improvement!! (I'm a sophomore now) I'm forming my own club, and I'm going to join several organizations on campus!

If I explain that freshman year was rough for me, will it be viewed as an excuse or an explanation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
YAL is wildly diametrically opposed to LGBT activism and a feminist club but okay
YAL isn't hardcore right-wing We lean left

I want to become friends with more Greek women to learn more about panhellenic and just to make friends (getting recs is just a bonus!)

How would I go about making more friends in the Greek community without coming off as "desperate"?

I tried rushing twice before, but was cut pretty early both times. Was this likely caused by a lack of initiative in organizations? I was very talkative and a good listener, my GPA's fine, etc. Didn't have recs though. Would organizations help me get that final push to receive a bid?

Talked to my bf about this same issue, he agrees that I should do something I'm passionate about. Note taken!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And you've rushed TWICE before? Just know that the sororities DO remember you from previous recruitments. they may be less likely to consider you because they've considered you before.
I didn't have recommendations before, and I wasn't very active on campus. Freshman year was rough, I have quite a few health issues. I've made a lot of changes for the better this year. Will that help my chances?

I rushed during FMR 2017 and did spring recruitment for the one sorority offering it this season. I didn't get too far either time, but it was probably because I wasn't very active on campus freshman year (various health issues and depression hit me like a freight train!!) and didn't know many sisters. Mea culpa, I'm improving

I know some sororities have separate quotas for upperclassmen. I got very sad after learning I'd been released during FMR because I thought I'd definitely not have a chance as a junior, but then I did some research and found that some of our sororities pledged juniors and even seniors during FMR!! Is there a way to know if my campus houses have upperclassman quotas?
My top picks are KKG and Delta Gamma, but I'm not SUPER picky, as in, I won't suicide during prefs, or self-release if neither picks me. Also, I know some TriDelt alums I can get recommendations from

Last edited by FSUZeta; 03-01-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Multiple threads with similar theme
Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Eliza,

It isn't necessary to start multiple threads, especially when they are similarly themed. Just keep posting to this thread, if it is recruitment related. People are reading.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Hi Eliza,

It isn't necessary to start multiple threads, especially when they are similarly themed. Just keep posting to this thread, if it is recruitment related. People are reading.
So true, FSUZeta. This site isn't like THAT one, where good and helpful posts always disappear among the drivel.