GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 988
0 members and 988 guests
No Members online

Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM

There was a recent post in the expansion thread in the Greek Life forum, announcing that the following schools are open for expansion:

Florida Atlantic University
Southern Utah University
St. John's University - Queens (Main Campus)
St. John's University - Staten Island - adding a second NPC
University of Oregon
University of Cincinnati
Valdosta State University
Lake Erie College (OH)
Kansas State University
San Jose State University

It's going to be really exciting to see if we express interest in any of these schools, and if we are asked to make presentations at any of them.

I'd love to see us at Lake Erie or Cincy (since I'm in Ohio). I'd also like to see us recolonize our Kansas State chapter (Delta Phi).

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

An FAU colony would be exciting for me, considering my chapter (Zeta Epsilon) and my cousin's chapter (Eta Eta) would both be able to assist! Still, our lack of chapters at the big state school could hurt us in that aspect. But Eta Eta is doing well, and they are 15 mins. away from FAU, which is a positive!

San Jose State is my mom's alma mater, and that would make me CRAZY excited. Epsilon Alpha is 20 mins. away from SJSU, and they are also doing well. Similar to an FAU decision, we only have one CA chapter...

We previously presented at Lake Erie, and it was a good presentation, so that could give us a strong chance of being given the opportunity to try again! I hope so!

And then, there's the BIG DADDY: I would be SO excited for Tri Sigma to return to K-State. Our success at Mizzou and the strength of our chapters in KS could be a good indicator for how we would stand there. I'm crossing my fingers for all of these!!!

It would be great for us to join any of these PHC communities! Eagerly anticipating the results...
Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see Phi (Ohio University) being recolonized as well as Kappa (Miami University), Beta Psi (Youngstown State University) and Beta Gamma (Ball State University). I feel that Ohio is sorely underrepresented with only two chapters...with only one being a big state university. Eta Iota is all by its lonesome in NW Ohio....
Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagoose View Post
I would love to see Phi (Ohio University) being recolonized as well as Kappa (Miami University), Beta Psi (Youngstown State University) and Beta Gamma (Ball State University). I feel that Ohio is sorely underrepresented with only two chapters...with only one being a big state university. Eta Iota is all by its lonesome in NW Ohio....
I agree! I think Kappa is one of my "dream" recolonizations for Sigma.

Fun fact: Owners of Alpha House, our official vendor are both Kappa chapter alumnae.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I agree! I think Kappa is one of my "dream" recolonizations for Sigma.

Fun fact: Owners of Alpha House, our official vendor are both Kappa chapter alumnae.
Well, Violet, I am going to dream along with you...hopefully, in the next few years other Ohio schools will be open for expansion or recolonization efforts!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Ole Miss

This would be a stretch I think, but then again this is "dream" colonizations right?!

I'll be moving to Mississippi soon, and with no collegiate or alumni chapters, I'd love to see us at Ole Miss!

However, I know with huge schools like that it takes a lot of time and money to make a go at it.

(I'll keep my fingers crossed in the meantime not just for this school but for all our dream colonizations/redevelopments!)
Old 02-24-2009, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see Sigma colonize at Valdosta State University! Being a transplant to Georgia (originally from SC, where Sigma has 4 chapters), everyone always looks at me strange when I say which sorority I was a member of. It's kinda like...If they don't have it at UGA, no one knows about it ;-)

It would be nice to feel some more Sigma love here in the Peach state!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHosePeach View Post
I would love to see Sigma colonize at Valdosta State University! Being a transplant to Georgia (originally from SC, where Sigma has 4 chapters), everyone always looks at me strange when I say which sorority I was a member of. It's kinda like...If they don't have it at UGA, no one knows about it ;-)

It would be nice to feel some more Sigma love here in the Peach state!

After just reading today that Phi Mu took 252 new members in their first recruitment at the University of South Carolina. Too bad we couldn't have an opportunity like that. With 4 Sigma chapters already in that state.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's hope for Rho Chapter

Florida State is open for expansion. I believe the housing corporation still owns the house.

ETA: Rho was chartered in 2/2/1920 and remained open until 1990. In 1992, Rho was redeveloped and remained open until 1999.

Last edited by Cruise4fun; 11-11-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise4fun View Post
Florida State is open for expansion. I believe the housing corporation still owns the house.
AWESOME! Fingers crossed!! It would be great to not only recolonize, but to have a chapter at a huge university!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree. Rho chapter probably has a lot of history.
Many years ago I remember at one of our conventions meeting an awesome lady from there. I believe her name was Ida.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 PM

We are presenting at University of Michigan-Flint!

I do not know which other groups will be presenting.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

ETA: Rho was chartered in 2/2/1920 and remained open until 1990. In 1992, Rho was redeveloped and remained open until 1999.
There are a few issues that I think are going to hurt our success in reopening this chapter. We have actually recolonized Rho chapter 5 times. It is going to be difficult to prove to the Extension Committee how we will be successful for a 6th time without closing again (not to mention, we didn't necessarily leave on good terms with the University...). Also, Sigma Delta Tau is currently residing in the old Tri Sigma house, with no plans for alternate housing. I don't think the institution is so keen on having to displace one chapter just to bring another on.

So, I'm wary. Still keeping my fingers crossed! I'm hoping I'm wrong!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

What does everyone think of the post over on the Expansion thread in the Greek Life Forum of the following campuses being open for presentations?

Boise State University

University of Connecticut - Stamford

University of Tampa

University of Texas-El Paso

Do you think we have our hands full enough with colonizations already or will we perhaps make a stab at these campuses?

Any news on Florida State?

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-26-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearttrisigma View Post
What does everyone think of the post over on the Expansion thread in the Greek Life Forum of the following campuses being open for presentations?

Boise State University

University of Connecticut - Stamford

University of Tampa

University of Texas-El Paso

Do you think we have our hands full enough with colonizations already or will we perhaps make a stab at these campuses?

Any news on Florida State?
Our expansion team is ALWAYS exploring new opportunities, so you never know!

I'd like to see us take a look at UTEP and Tampa for sure (the others would be good too).

FSU presentations are the week of March 22nd, and the decision will be announced April 9th. So they are still in the early phases (the sororities are still sending in packets and doing exploratory visits).

Lakers Nation.