GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,519
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Jenagro
» Online Users: 1,852
1 members and 1,851 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-09-2000, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question What about transfers?

As I was reading a few of the posts, I noticed nothing was mentioned about transfer students rushing and sororities' opinions on them. I live in California and in the Fall '01 will be transfering from a community college to a U.C. (University of California) campus. Several of my friends and family members were/are involved in the Greeks and love it. I know I will too and believe I can be an asset and a true sister to a sorority. My question is, when rushing, will sororities look less favorably on me because I will only be active for my last two years of college? I hope someone can answer by question and hopefully give some advice on my situation. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2000, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hi there, I transferred from a university with no greek system at all to one that has 3 sororities....they did not have any problem with me being here for 2 years. Your sorority sisters should be glad to have you around for whatever amount of time you can. If they are judging you on that, then maybe you should look at a different one. I know that my national actually encourages us to recruit from all year levels.

jen
Phi Sigma Sigma
Old 08-15-2000, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

i imagine you being a junior wouldn't be a big problem at one of the giant UC campuses. you will probably see mostly freshman rushing, but there will also be a range of older women. it would be more of an issue at a small private college, where more than 95% of rushees are freshmen.

you definitely do want to rush, though. especially since you say you're a legacy. if your relatives belonged to a sorority that has a chapter at your school, they need to fill out a form and possibly write a letter of introduction for you. and your friends who were in sororities will be a great source for recommendations. don't be nervous to ask them to fill out the form on your behalf, or they may offer if they find out you're rushing!
Old 08-15-2000, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Niki
I don't think you'd have any problem being a transfer. A friend of mine transfered after 2 years at a JC & later became the president of her sorority and was also a leader on the Greek Council & things such as that. If you are truly interested I'm sure you'll do great & have a blast.

Allison
Old 08-15-2000, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I transferred from a community college and went through rush the next year (so I only had a year left...that accidently turned into a year and a half ) Go through rush and have a blast! Good luck and keep us posted!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 08-16-2000, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi,

This past year one of my houses most dedicated and awesome sisters graduated. She came from a two year cc. She was in my pledge class, and she stood for everything that is true about TriDelta. She was terrific. Also, another one of my sisters is a transfer student, she rushed her first week at my school. I knew she was meant to be my sister, when we both knew all the words to Mark Morrison's "Return of the Mack" LOL I love that girl.

Much Love,

Kymberleigh
Delta Delta Delta
Old 08-16-2000, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through rush as a junior and it was difficult. A lot of houses at my school prefer freshmen, and I was dropped by most of the houses after tours. But I stuck with it and ended up in a great house, and I am still an active alum. Greek membership is for life! Think of how much you can contribute not only for the time you're in college, but afterwards too!