GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,516
1 members and 1,515 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 03-22-2004, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, the BIG 10 rules

Actually, the Big Ten rules.

You have the real academic power houses, real schools that their states can be proud of, especially Indiana (birthplace of Crest toothpaste and the Kinsey Institute), Michigan (World's best fight song), Ohio State (Woody Hayes still lives), Penn State (the Beast of the East), and Illinois (the Indian, best campus live mascot). There's nothing to be ashamed of at Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, or Northwestern either. (Even the lesser school in the Hoosier state, Purdue, can't be compared to the feces-covered athletic houses of ill-repute in the SEC)

Compare those academic and athletic world-class Big Ten schools to Mississippi, Miss. State, South Carolina, and the other dregs of the SEC. Sure, Vanderbilt is a decent school, but one goody can't pump up 11 losers.

Football may rule in the SEC (except at Vandy), but sports are pretty good and the academics are very good in the Big Ten.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2004, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
Also FSU got thier coach from the SEC
Bobby Bowden coached at WVU before he came to FSU. As an student, he attended Samford.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Hmm... Drawbacks to the SEC...

Still thinking....

Wait, it'll come to me....

hmm....

I'll get back to you later on that one.

GO COCKS!
LMAO. The SEC has some funny names for their teams. If you screamed, "GO COCKS!" in New York City, you would get all kinds of offers.

I used to go to SEC parties for alumni and friends in NYC despite the fact that I never attended an SEC. They were nice people with interesting accents. All the guys from Arkansas sounded like President Clinton.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedGirl
Oh, I've got one....

Having to wear garnet and black and call yourselves Gamecocks.

I'll take my purple 'n orange Tigers anyday!!

Love,
Your All-American ACC Girl

Oh, yeah, I forgot that orange overalls are SO much classier than being able to wear cute little garnet or black dresses to football games.

And, come on, you can insult my school all day long, but where else can you yell "Cocks" and not have it be derogatory? I mean, people in CALIFORNIA collect our baseball caps.

Love,
Your All-American SEC Girl
Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG
Cocks
I'm still waiting for the South Carolina 'Cocks to play the Oregon State Beavers.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Compare those academic and athletic world-class Big Ten schools to Mississippi, Miss. State, South Carolina, and the other dregs of the SEC. Sure, Vanderbilt is a decent school, but one goody can't pump up 11 losers.
Actually, Alabama has had more Academic All-Americans than any other school in the nation. I like to think we have it all.... we get ranked academically AND in the top party schools in the country! Of course, the legendary greek system speaks for itself. I'm not condoning the actions of "the machine," but where else does being involved in student government lead to becoming a US senator?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry this Cali girl just HAS to butt in and say... I think the Pac 10 has SEC beat on weather.. (well minus U-W)
Old 03-22-2004, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
Bobby Bowden coached at WVU before he came to FSU. As an student, he attended Samford.
Um actually yes, he did go to Alabama his freshman year and played quarterback...he finished at Howard and he is from Birmingham. Don't argue with me about football, you won't win.

Bowden was an outstanding football player at Woodlawn High School in Birmingham, Ala., and went on to Alabama as a freshman quarterback, fulfilling a lifelong dream to play for the Crimson Tide. He lasted one semester in Tuscaloosa before high school sweetheart Ann Estock lured him back to Birmingham. They soon married and Bobby transferred to Howard College (now Samford University) in Birmingham. The two celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in the same year (1999) that FSU won it’s second national championship and Bowden coached his only undefeated team, which was the first team ever to go wire-to-wire as the AP No. 1.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
Um actually yes, he did go to Alabama his freshman year and played quarterback...he finished at Howard and he is from Birmingham. Don't argue with me about football, you won't win.
That doesn't count as getting "thier (sic) coach from the SEC."

And you can't win football. You're from Ole Miss, I'm from FSU.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
The last time UGA met FSU, the Dawgs won. Doesn't really matter that UGA's coach once worked for Bowden and at FSU .

Last edited by The1calledTKE; 03-22-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

UGa's claim to fame. How sad.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

To Hotty-Toddy

Thanks for your good info on our Coach Bobby Bowden. Since you are a Phi Mu, you know that Ann Bowden was president of her Phi Mu chapter at Samford when Bobby Bowden was president of the Pike chapter there.
I wouldn't dream of challenging you on football trivia, but is it you who contends that Mississippi has more NFL players than any other state??!! I know that FSU and Notre Dame take turns having the most current NFL players. And when it's not one of us it's Florida or Miami. How can Mississippi have more NFL players than Florida, with FSU, Florida and Miami?
Old 03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Re: Actually, the BIG 10 rules

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
Actually, the Big Ten rules.

You have the real academic power houses, real schools that their states can be proud of, especially Indiana
Cool. Academics ROCK! I bet their greek systems are cool too.

Quote:
(birthplace of Crest toothpaste and the Kinsey Institute)
ooooh Crest toothpase!! I'm sure every state and every school has their claim to fame.

Quote:
Michigan (World's best fight song)
Best fight song? Who decided that one?

Quote:
Ohio State (Woody Hayes still lives)
Never had Bear Bryant's record (though Paterno and Bowden did) and he was fired for having a temper tantrum. Oh, yes, and...HE'S DEAD.

[Quote]Penn State (the Beast of the East), and Illinois (the Indian, best campus live mascot).[/Quote}

Who decided this too?

Quote:
Eli Manning also won some academic and athletic awards (Can't remember)...and Peyton graduated Cum Laude in 3 years.

Also...I agree that some of the schools in the Big Ten are excellent schools...but don't insult my school.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: To Hotty-Toddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Firehouse
Thanks for your good info on our Coach Bobby Bowden. Since you are a Phi Mu, you know that Ann Bowden was president of her Phi Mu chapter at Samford when Bobby Bowden was president of the Pike chapter there.
I wouldn't dream of challenging you on football trivia, but is it you who contends that Mississippi has more NFL players than any other state??!! I know that FSU and Notre Dame take turns having the most current NFL players. And when it's not one of us it's Florida or Miami. How can Mississippi have more NFL players than Florida, with FSU, Florida and Miami?
Let me clarify. The state of Mississippi has more NFL players than any other state. Not Ole Miss. Many of these went to various schools...however more people in the NFL are FROM Mississippi than any other state.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Lol UGA has been doing better than FSU in the past 3 years. UGA is due for a national championship soon especially since they only lost a few players this year.