GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,097
1 members and 2,096 guests
John

Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Advance in Quest for HIV Vaccine

Quote:
In the latest development, U.S. government scientists say they have discovered three powerful antibodies, the strongest of which neutralizes 91% of HIV strains, more than any AIDS antibody yet discovered. They are now deploying the technique used to find those antibodies to identify antibodies to influenza viruses.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_mostpop_read

I hope something can come from this, like a CURE!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_mostpop_read

I hope something can come from this, like a CURE!
If not a cure, atleast a vaccine so we can drastically cut back on new HIV cases and try to get ahead of the disease.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

have they ever figured out what actually causes the infection? Not how it's spread, but how it's created?

For example, can two homosexual men that both test negative for it have all of the monogamous, unprotected sex they want without risk of infection? Can two intravenous drug users that both test negative share all of the needles they want, only between themselves, without the risk of infection?

Personally, I think the sooner they find, or at least admit (if you listen to some conspiracy theorists), they'd be a hell of a lot closer, if not complete in finding the cure.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxOff View Post
have they ever figured out what actually causes the infection? Not how it's spread, but how it's created?

For example, can two homosexual men that both test negative for it have all of the monogamous, unprotected sex they want without risk of infection? Can two intravenous drug users that both test negative share all of the needles they want, only between themselves, without the risk of infection?

The answer to the above is yes -- two negative people cannot "create" HIV. No one really knows with certainty how HIV came to be.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

CDC HIV/AIDS WTF
Quote:
The earliest known case of infection with HIV-1 in a human was detected in a blood sample collected in 1959 from a man in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo. (How he became infected is not known.) Genetic analysis of this blood sample suggested that HIV-1 may have stemmed from a single virus in the late 1940s or early 1950s.

We know that the virus has existed in the United States since at least the mid- to late 1970s. From 1979–1981 rare types of pneumonia, cancer, and other illnesses were being reported by doctors in Los Angeles and New York among a number of male patients who had sex with other men. These were conditions not usually found in people with healthy immune systems.

In 1982 public health officials began to use the term "acquired immunodeficiency syndrome," or AIDS, to describe the occurrences of opportunistic infections, Kaposi's sarcoma (a kind of cancer), and Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia in previously healthy people. Formal tracking (surveillance) of AIDS cases began that year in the United States.

In 1983, scientists discovered the virus that causes AIDS. The virus was at first named HTLV-III/LAV (human T-cell lymphotropic virus-type III/lymphadenopathy-associated virus) by an international scientific committee. This name was later changed to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

For many years scientists theorized as to the origins of HIV and how it appeared in the human population, most believing that HIV originated in other primates. Then in 1999, an international team of researchers reported that they had discovered the origins of HIV-1, the predominant strain of HIV in the developed world. A subspecies of chimpanzees native to west equatorial Africa had been identified as the original source of the virus. The researchers believe that HIV-1 was introduced into the human population when hunters became exposed to infected blood.

For more information on this discovery, visit the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases press release.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Personally, I think the sooner they find, or at least admit (if you listen to some conspiracy theorists), they'd be a hell of a lot closer, if not complete in finding the cure.
They already have a cure: money.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
The answer to the above is yes -- two negative people cannot "create" HIV. No one really knows with certainty how HIV came to be.
Exactly. And didn't they recently come out and say that "Patient zero" wasn't really patient zero?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Exactly. And didn't they recently come out and say that "Patient zero" wasn't really patient zero?
That's a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga%C3%ABtan_Dugas
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Ah thanks, I thought so.

/not even going to try and get into the origins
Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Wait, what?

How exactly would the Wolverine Origin Story (h/t Michael Bay) "complete" finding a cure? The virus is not impossible to isolate - we know what it is. The methods of transfer are similarly possible to isolate - as it is with almost every blood-borne virus.

We can create flu vaccines without knowing which primordial ooze created influenza. Why would AIDS/HIV behave any differently?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
What is your background in biomedical engineering?

I frankly don't have any, so if you know something I don't know which makes your "Personally[comma]..." worth any more than mine, please do share.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Wait, what?

How exactly would the Wolverine Origin Story (h/t Michael Bay) "complete" finding a cure? The virus is not impossible to isolate - we know what it is. The methods of transfer are similarly possible to isolate - as it is with almost every blood-borne virus.

We can create flu vaccines without knowing which primordial ooze created influenza. Why would AIDS/HIV behave any differently?
Because influenza is a virus, and HIV is a retrovirus. All I know is that they are different, though i can't tell you why.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 07-14-2010 at 04:23 PM. Reason: damn k key
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Because influenza is a virus, and HIV is a retrovirus. All I now is that they are different, though i can't tell you why.
Well, yes. That wasn't the point though. He means that we don't need to know the origin of HIV to be able to create a vaccine. HIV is obviously much more difficult to develop a vaccine for because of how fast it mutates and I'm sure a bunch of other biomedical reasons I don't understand either, but we don't need to know the origins.

But WaxOff apparently thought it was possible for HIV to spontaneously occur between non-infected drug users or gay men and thus I wouldn't even have gone as far as to question his opinion on this either.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Well, yes. That wasn't the point though. He means that we don't need to know the origin of HIV to be able to create a vaccine. HIV is obviously much more difficult to develop a vaccine for because of how fast it mutates and I'm sure a bunch of other biomedical reasons I don't understand either, but we don't need to know the origins.

But WaxOff apparently thought it was possible for HIV to spontaneously occur between non-infected drug users or gay men and thus I wouldn't even have gone as far as to question his opinion on this either.
I read it as saying why we can't treat HIV even though we can make vaccines for influenza without knowing it's origins.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I read it as saying why we can't treat HIV even though we can make vaccines for influenza without knowing it's origins.
Nah I think he was just questioning WaxOff's claim.

"We can make vaccines for the flu without knowing where it came from, we don't need to know the origins of HIV to be able to vaccinate for it because we can already isolate it."