GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,801
3 members and 2,798 guests
JayhawkAOII, Xidelt

Old 03-12-2021, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

They released the 911 call. Tough to listen to. I only got about halfway through and stopped. Seems like the person who called is emotionless at first and then the gravity of the situation hits her. Truly sad.

https://www.13abc.com/video/2021/03/...u-hazing-call/

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
They released the 911 call. Tough to listen to. I only got about halfway through and stopped. Seems like the person who called is emotionless at first and then the gravity of the situation hits her. Truly sad.

https://www.13abc.com/video/2021/03/...u-hazing-call/
Absolutely heartbreaking. I was barely able to listen to the entire thing, but my heart aches for the young people in that apartment on that 911 call. I hope they are taking the time they need and getting the support they deserve because I cannot imagine trying to move on with a regular semester after something like that, let alone this hybrid online COVID semester.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

A life altering event for all involved. Should this be required listening for all teenagers/young adults?
Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

His parents speak out on GMA

https://youtu.be/GZOAfkU9FK4
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

So of course they're suing the national organization because that's where the money is. They're going to find out that fraternities are legally structured in such a way that makes it very difficult to hold the national organization accountable. They'll find that Pi Kappa Alpha regularly sends consultants to educate and report regarding hazing and that the local organization was able to hide this behavior from the national organization.

They'll find the property itself is probably in an LLC which means that even if there is a judgment, (at least in my State), the best they can do is get a charging order which is an order to pay from the profits of the LLC--and the LLC will continue to reinvest 100% of its income back into the property. Their best bet is to sue the individual fellow students, and honestly, not very many civil attorneys are interested in collecting a judgment against a 21 year old kid. There'll be a swarm of press coverage for awhile, but I don't think there'll be justice.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Their best bet is to sue the individual fellow students, and honestly, not very many civil attorneys are interested in collecting a judgment against a 21 year old kid. There'll be a swarm of press coverage for awhile, but I don't think there'll be justice.
Kevin, what was the final outcome from the 2012 Pi Kappa Alpha hazing death of Northern Illinois University student David Bogenberger? Was justice served in that instance?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...130-story.html

The national organization was dismissed as not liable. A $14 million settlement was reached. 98% of that was paid by the 44 individuals, 22 members, and 22 women who were present, who were named co-defendants. The fraternity chapter itself paid around 2% or by my math, $280,000. The 22 young men who were involved pled to misdemeanors. All this after 6 years of litigation.

https://fraternallaw.com/newsletter2...ger-settlement
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-29-2021, 02:37 PM

Eight people have been charged.

"Eight people have been indicted in the alcohol-related death of an Ohio college student who was found unconscious after a fraternity party, prosecutors said Thursday.

A grand jury indicted the eight on charges ranging from involuntary manslaughter to hazing."

"Six of those indicted were charged with involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of three years in prison, according to Wood County Prosecutor Paul Dobson.

Other charges included reckless homicide, felonious assault, hazing, violating underage alcohol laws and obstructing official business.

The hazing and failing to comply with underage alcohol laws reflect that those charged gave copious amounts of alcohol to Foltz and the other new fraternity members, Dobson said in a statement."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...party-77398102

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-29-2021, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

�� Major coverage of the above story on CBS evening news just now. There were photos of all those involved and interviews with the family of the young man who died. So very, very sad...
Old 05-29-2022, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Outcome of Criminal Trial in Stone Foltz's death March 2021

Bumping to share this article from the NY Times about the outcome of the trial. Am a subscriber, so the link should work (10 free articles/month to share as part of subscription & I just checked the hotlink on my end).

Honestly I have no words for this. Madness abounds.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-29-2022, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Bumping to share this article from the NY Times about the outcome of the trial. Am a subscriber, so the link should work (10 free articles/month to share as part of subscription & I just checked the hotlink on my end).

Honestly I have no words for this. Madness abounds.
Quote:
Eric F. Long, a lawyer for Mr. Henricksen, said the jury’s verdict gave his client “his future back.”
Talk about a tone deaf statement.

Sadly, the outcome doesn't really shock me. These students will move on, and we'll wait until the next story hits the news.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-30-2022, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
A life altering event for all involved. Should this be required listening for all teenagers/young adults?
Nolan Burch’s family released this: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...dent?_amp=true

It’s a documentary about his death, but also what to do if someone you’re with is experiencing alcohol poisoning. It actually makes me mad that you can’t click on the video in this article because it’s age restricted. As of high school students don’t drink!

https://abc6onyourside.com/amp/on-yo...g-act-7-6-2021

These two families in Ohio are working to increase hazing penalties. Collin’s Law is now in effect.