GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Cute! Having a daughter that has always been tall we have not had the luxury of buying cheap things ever. She is XS tiny on top, but wears a 29 in a jean plus has legs that go from here to there. You don't even want to know what I go through for a Homecoming dress. Sometimes it gets so frustrating that I would spend whatever just to get a dress that fits her (we have finally figured out she fits better in womens clothing not juniors minus the bust). The point of this post is that we have decided there are things that we can buy cheap most of the time and other things that we just have to spend money on. On top of that her feet are not tiny and she is very self conscious of "whether her feet look big in these shoes" We have been able to pick through forever 21 and find some fabulous things that do not look cheap, but look like they came form some where else. My advice to any one going through recruitment or buying anything for an event; if you think you'll wear it over and over and it has classic lines go for it. To buy something trendy and shell out the big bucks not worth it in my opinion and the outfits you picked out are cute and trendy, although, I would not be polishing my nails a different color every day
I know the feeling...I have yet to find a pair of jeans that fits me in the thighs but doesn't leave a huge gap in the waist/hips. If I try on a pair that fits me in the waist/hips, it's shrinkwrapped to my thighs. My mom came to the same conclusion you did, at least when it comes to my nicer clothing. She was willing to spend the bucks on items that were classic and then have them tailored. Of course, not so much with my "trendy" clothes...I was on my own there. (Understandable...I agree with you that spending a lot on trendy outfits is a bad idea, but that classic outfits that won't go out of style in a season can be worth saving for.)

I paint my nails a different color every day when I have time anyway, because I think it's fun, but for people slightly less obsessive than I am clear, light pink, beige, or a classic red go with just about anything. (Though PNM's: unless you know you'll have time to paint your nails the morning of the parties, I'd stick with clear or a light pink so that you can cover chips easily without having to start over. Or just clip em', clean 'em, and go. )

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

On finding jeans for tall girls: New York and Company has tall sizes from size 0-18. I am 5'11" and they are still long enough for me to wear heels with them. They are pretty cheap, and even if they are full price you can always find a coupon online somewhere!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
All I could think about the "What Not To Wear Pref Outfit" was: "Hey! It's a Pretty Pretty Princess Pref!"
Pretty, Pretty Princess was my daughter's all time favorite board game when she was little and on game night when she got to pick, well, you guessed it my husband and son were wearing the jewels and playing a long with us. I have some really funny pictures of them. Just don't get the dreaded black ring! Although the black ring would have been fab with a couple of those outfits
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Pretty, Pretty Princess was my daughter's all time favorite board game when she was little and on game night when she got to pick, well, you guessed it my husband and son were wearing the jewels and playing a long with us. I have some really funny pictures of them. Just don't get the dreaded black ring! Although the black ring would have been fab with a couple of those outfits
I never got very far with Pretty Pretty Princess because I WANTED the black ring. I thought it was the prettiest.

My mom read me Edgar Allan Poe as a child, so go figure.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-10-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are my ideas! I hope y'all like them.

Open Houses (the polo might be a littleeee on the frilly side but I couldn't find one in the color I wanted without the frills):

Philanthropy:

Skit Night:

Pref:

I enjoy changing nail polishes often.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurGirl View Post

Philanthropy:
Love this outfit. I kind of want the dress. I'm a bit obsessed with sundresses lately.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krrrristen
@FleurGirl i LOVE those outfits!!! I'm a nail polish freak as well =P I think i've seen on here though to not go crazy with a sorority's jewelry. Would wearing a pearl necklace/earrings be a bad idea??

I also have a question. My school's what to wear page shows the ladies wearing fancier sandals, but says to wear flip flops. Should I err on the side of caution and wear the fancier sandals?

Thanks ladies <3

Tonight our knights will shine... <3

Kristen <3
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Such cute stuff here (except for my gross what not to wear stuff). I want to photo the PNM's while walking in and put bars over their faces to conceal their identities (JK). I'm going to pay attention this year and report back on what this girls are wearing in the desert PAC 10 style.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrristen View Post
@FleurGirl i LOVE those outfits!!! I'm a nail polish freak as well =P I think i've seen on here though to not go crazy with a sorority's jewelry. Would wearing a pearl necklace/earrings be a bad idea??

I also have a question. My school's what to wear page shows the ladies wearing fancier sandals, but says to wear flip flops. Should I err on the side of caution and wear the fancier sandals?

Thanks ladies <3
Pearls are sort of a universal "nice" thing to wear. The pearl isn't Kappa's jewel but I wear pearls ALL the time.

You can wear nicer sandals to the parties, but I'd suggest bringing flip flops for in between! Blisters are zero fun!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I had so much fun with my "what to wear" outfits I thought I'd do a set of what NOT to wear!

Open House:

Why it's bad: The boots are too high, the booty shorts are too short and too casual, the top is shredded and tacky, and the jewelry screams "middle school"!

Philanthropy:

Why it's bad: The jeans are sleazy and too casual, the top is pretty much NOT a top, the hoodie is way too informal, and the plastic cherry theme just SCREAMS "pop my cherry please"! Not a good message.

Skit Night:

Why it's bad: The sequin red mini is club-attire and totally inappropriate. Remember that you're dressing for other girls, not boys! The heels are waaaaay too much and over the top, and the owl and key jewelry is basically a middle finger to any other group that invited you to a party (and will probably freak out the group whose symbols you're wearing)!

Pref:

Why it's bad: Ladies, this is NOT the time to bust out your long formal prom dress! The jewelry and shoes are tacky and mis-matched and totally inappropriate for an occasion like pref.

Hope you all enjoyed this! I had fun with it.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krrrristen
Oh my goodness that owl necklace is the cutest! I'm an owl fan through my grandma-- she was addicted to owls! I'd totally wear it, but I know better than to wear it to a recruitment event =P

Thanks for the tip. I had planned on at least bringing the flip flops, but I wasn't sure exactly what to wear to the parties. I'm so glad I found GC. I'd be completely lost without it!

Tonight our knights will shine... <3

Kristen <3
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrristen View Post

Thanks ladies <3
Pearls are classic. I don't know if I'd wear them every day just because they might think you ARE trying to send a message...but if you like classic jewelry just use some diamond studs one day instead of pearls, or find some colored pearls to mix it up a little. MANY sororities have pearls as a jewel, so it's certainly ok for you to wear them.

I always think it's better to err on the side of over dressed rather than under. I would wear the fancier sandals, and if they're uncomfortable, bring some more casual flip flops in your bag. If you get there and everyone else is wearing flip flops, ditch the fancy shoes and put on the comfy ones. (It's good to have flip flops for walking to houses between parties anyway when your shoes might get uncomfortable).

Groucho Marx
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

i only get two nights where i get to pick my entire outfit- my first two nights are recruitment t, jeans, and cute flats or heels. but here's what i came up with for philanthropy and prefs!

philanthropy on the left, pref on the right.
i know the shoes for pref are a little much, but i just really wanted to use them.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Pearls are classic. I don't know if I'd wear them every day just because they might think you ARE trying to send a message...but if you like classic jewelry just use some diamond studs one day instead of pearls, or find some colored pearls to mix it up a little. MANY sororities have pearls as a jewel, so it's certainly ok for you to wear them.
Really no one's going to notice that you wear pearls every day unless you have some huge strings or your pearl earrings are the size of gumballs. And if they noticed, they wouldn't think that you were trying to be an XYZ.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Really no one's going to notice that you wear pearls every day unless you have some huge strings or your pearl earrings are the size of gumballs. And if they noticed, they wouldn't think that you were trying to be an XYZ.
I've witnessed it happen on my campus. Little things get blown out of proportion when a bunch of 18-22 year old girls are stressed out, overly sensitive, and are running on very little sleep. I do suggest changing it up a little, which can be done with another classic-diamond (or, of course, cubic zircona/diamond cut glass) earrings or colored pearls. If sticking with pearls every day, making sure to show sincere interest in all chapters is a good way to let the actives know the choice of jewel isn't related to a sorority.

(On that note I would avoid wearing sorority symbols during recruitment. For instance the anchor is very popular right now. Wearing a dress with an anchor print all over when there is a Delta Gamma chapter on campus might be interpreted wrongly, unless you want to convey that your favorite is DG. Of course it would be too difficult to avoid all mascots/symbols/jewels, just don't go nuts with them, and again, show sincere interest in all chapters so that actives know your clothing/jewelry choice is about what you think is cute and not about sending a message. Do that and you'll be perfectly fine.)

ETA: When I was a PNM, I happened to have picked (weeks beforehand) a dress for pref night that was the same color as the dresses actives of a certain chapter on campus wore during pref night. Of course because I picked it in advance it was in no way related to a sorority. But I was told by the other chapter that I preffed that they thought I was sending them a message. It happens, go figure. Again, just showing sincere interest will dispel any such assumptions.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 08-11-2010 at 12:04 AM.