GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,650
0 members and 1,650 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

LETTERS!!!

I recently was in a frat at my school; Phi Sigma Kappa to be exact. Last semester, I deactivated and everything was good... well, until I lost all my friends and got shunned by everyone I was friends with last year. I have remained friends with a small portion of the guys and I live with one of them. But it seems that every time I see a brother on campus, they desperately try to not look at me or talk to me. Well, that is neither here nor there....My point is that I thought I was on good terms with the guys and recently had on our athletics shirt from Greek week and I was confronted by my roommate. He says that because I am deactivated, I can't even WEAR anything with letters on it. He says, out of "mutual respect" I should not wear the letters. Last time I checked, mutual respect goes both ways and the fact that my "brothers" trying hard to not look me in the eyes or cross paths with me is not very respectful. Basically, I told him that he could go sit on it and I could wear whatever I want. Now some of the guys are threatening me because of it. What are my choices here? I don't wanna back down because then they win. Any suggestions?

Last edited by superfunk; 01-29-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunk View Post
I recently was in a frat at my school; Phi Sigma Kappa to be exact. Last semester, I deactivated and everything was good... well, until I lost all my friends and got shunned by everyone I was friends with last year. I have remained friends with a small portion of the guys and I live with one of them. But it seems that every time I see a brother on campus, they desperately try to not look at me or talk to me. Well, that is neither here nor there....My point is that I thought I was on good terms with the guys and recently had on our athletics shirt from Greek week and I was confronted by my roommate. He says that because I am deactivated, I can't even WEAR anything with letters on it. He says, out of "mutual respect" I should not wear the letters. Last time I checked, mutual respect goes both ways and the fact that my "brothers" trying hard to not look me in the eyes or cross paths with me is not very respectful. Basically, I told him that he could go sit on it and I could wear whatever I want. Now some of the guys are threatening me because of it. What are my choices here? I don't wanna back down because then they win. Any suggestions?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What exactly do you mean by deactivate? As in you went alumnus early or you no longer consider yourself part of the fraternity.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just not an active member right now. Kinda took a semester off to get my grades up.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just not an active member right now. Kinda took a semester off to get my grades up.
Honestly, that sounds off. The kind of behavior you are describing as happening to you is way out of line if you were just inactive for a semester.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the behavior is unacceptable and I'm planning on dealing with that with the university. I'm just wondering on where I stand on the whole letter wearing issue.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know the behavior is unacceptable and I'm planning on dealing with that with the university. I'm just wondering on where I stand on the whole letter wearing issue.
Just......
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Honestly, that sounds off. The kind of behavior you are describing as happening to you is way out of line if you were just inactive for a semester.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAntoftheSkyX View Post
LOL - I'm eternally grateful to unicorn for this AND honored to have been part of the test group for it, haha.

Quote:
Your best bet is to ask someone on your alumni/chapter advisory board - they'll be able to give you a clear answer and they may be somewhat removed from the drama going on between you and your chapter.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok I will be blunt. I don't believe you. I can't see them shunning a Brother just because he is "Taking a semester off to get his grades up." I think you told them that you didn't want to be part of the fraternity. If I am right, which I think I am unless you are lying about their behavior, then you have no reason at all to be wearing letters.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 01-29-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling fail
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Three other guys have done the same thing I did last semester and they are being treated the same way. I'm the only one who has worn letters since then though. I didn't even think about wearing them when I wore them. It was just to the gym and I got so much shit for it. I don't think it's fair. If you don't believe me, it's cool with me. I'm just telling it like it is. It is a bit odd, but after this little predicament, I don't believe I'll be returning to Phi Sig. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't believe I'll be returning to Phi Sig.
Then you won't want to wear your letters ever again - problem solved!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Then you won't want to wear your letters ever again - problem solved!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Three other guys have done the same thing I did last semester and they are being treated the same way. I'm the only one who has worn letters since then though. I didn't even think about wearing them when I wore them. It was just to the gym and I got so much shit for it. I don't think it's fair. If you don't believe me, it's cool with me. I'm just telling it like it is. It is a bit odd, but after this little predicament, I don't believe I'll be returning to Phi Sig. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It sounds to me that either 1.) the brother you talked to might of taken it the wrong way and interpreted that you are leaving the fraternity and not planning on coming back or 2) you have already told people that you don't want to be apart of this fraternity. Honestly, I don't see how the fraternity is making your grades lower?

I can't imagine any member of a fraternity or sorority for that matter that will treat you in this manner just because you want to get your grades up. Really. What exactly did you say to the brothers to make them act that way towards you? Have you ever attempted to talk to any of the brothers about why you decided to go "inactive" for a semester? Or did you just decide to disappear, not say anything, not participate in anything with your fraternity, but still think you can have the priviledge of wearing their letters?