GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,206
0 members and 1,206 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent24 View Post
Exactly. I'd like to know the difference between hazing and their just being in charge. Because as a grad student, this may be a problem for me if it gets out.
As a Ph.D. student, you should be familiar with doing research. Look up hazing laws in your state. Talk to the Greek Life advisor. You don't need a step-by-step guide from us.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I get that. I wouldn't hit on college girls. I'd just like to join a fraternity for the brotherhood. It's something I didn't do in college, and I regret it now. I would like to serve on a fraternity alumni board because I think it would look good for my career.
SMH. You really wrote that. Really. You did. Oh boy.

Not that you will even have a chance of comprehending this, but let me tell you, I have never met a fraternity or sorority alum who has volunteered time on an AB for that reason. NEVER.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
SMH. You really wrote that. Really. You did. Oh boy.

Not that you will even have a chance of comprehending this, but let me tell you, I have never met a fraternity or sorority alum who has volunteered time on an AB for that reason. NEVER.
Because nothing says mature, professional career man like "I joined a fraternity while working on my PhD."
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Because nothing says mature, professional career man like "I joined a fraternity while working on my PhD."
I think "tell me what dirty things they'll do to me" comes a close second.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I have cracked ribs. Please don't make me laugh, you two.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What's so funny?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
What's so funny?
You are.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to do it for resume purposes why don't you join an honor society or a professional fraternity? One those that you just sign, pay, and write a letter no pledging? Doing it cause it looks good on a resume is one of worse reasons to join a social frat along with "for girls!" and "I like their colors!"
Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

In a rare moment of free time I was surfing through this thread and was somewhat amused by the comments regarding the 24 year old creeping out the undergraduate girls.
After my BA and three years of active duty in the Army followed by an MA(Oxon) in the UK I started law school at 27. Social life among law students tends to be subordinated to the pressure cooker of 1-L and any attempts at dating were usually within the law school community. Somewhat to my surprise I was by no means the oldest in my class but what really surprised me was the number of undergrad women, including many freshman girls, who went out of their way to connect with unattached law students. Those of us who were Greek from our undergrad days were particular items of interest.
Very flattering but not too surprising. Since women tend to be a bit more socially developed and polished I think male Law students who tended to dress a bit better than undergrads and who had a bit more polish and experience of the wider world were seen perhaps as more interesting and focused on careers and success than undergrads. Anyway, age differences between 24 year old men and 18 or 19 year old women did not seem to be of any concern to the women.
So, thoughts anyone?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
In a rare moment of free time I was surfing through this thread and was somewhat amused by the comments regarding the 24 year old creeping out the undergraduate girls.
After my BA and three years of active duty in the Army followed by an MA(Oxon) in the UK I started law school at 27. Social life among law students tends to be subordinated to the pressure cooker of 1-L and any attempts at dating were usually within the law school community. Somewhat to my surprise I was by no means the oldest in my class but what really surprised me was the number of undergrad women, including many freshman girls, who went out of their way to connect with unattached law students. Those of us who were Greek from our undergrad days were particular items of interest.
Very flattering but not too surprising. Since women tend to be a bit more socially developed and polished I think male Law students who tended to dress a bit better than undergrads and who had a bit more polish and experience of the wider world were seen perhaps as more interesting and focused on careers and success than undergrads. Anyway, age differences between 24 year old men and 18 or 19 year old women did not seem to be of any concern to the women.
So, thoughts anyone?
Freshman girls that go out of their way to meet and date unattached law students screams "I'm-gonna-be-a-golddigger-when-I-grow-up" to me. I mean, I have seen it happen and can imagine it happening everywhere, but the people that seek it out are looking for something, uh, in particular, I'd think.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
So, thoughts anyone?
Whatever the case may be, fraternities shouldn't care about undergraduate women being freaked out by a 24 year old. They aren't the keeper of undergraduate women.

And, as always, I want to remind GCers (not dekeguy) that their little world of Greekdom doesn't translate to everyone's world of Greekdom. Twenty-four years old is not a ridiculous age for many BGLO, LGLO, MCGLO, and AGLO collegiate chapters.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

dekeguy, when i was at fsu one of the sororities held a mixer with the male law school students. all the rest of us thought,"gee, i wish we had thought of that"!