GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,476
0 members and 2,476 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by tinkgirl

I hope this helps any of you who seem to be confused by my thread, this is really something that I think will be beneficial to many girls. I hope you girls can support me in this because it really means alot to me.

Thanks a ton!
We wish you well - just some folks want to know more, whether it is germane or not.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing your experience.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I've been thinking about this question because it seems to come up a lot in these types of threads. One thing I remember hearing a lot from girls who ended up depledging was that the houses they joined actually ended up being quite different from the image that they had projected during rush. There were two or three houses in particular that I heard this about, and these houses, according to the new members, put a lot of effort into making their house seem a lot "better" (more fun, I guess they meant?) during rush than they really were, and they also treated the rushees like royalty whereas when they pledged, they got a lot less attention. Maybe a similar sort of situation went on in this case, or in any other case where a girl chose to depledge. It sounds reasonable, because we all know how hard it is to get an accurate idea of what a house is like during rush just because everything is so hectic and fast. Or I could be wrong, I don't know...but maybe it's something to think about.
I agree. I think that rush can send a fairly inaccurate message of what certain houses are like. I know that in my case, the house I saw during rush wasn't the exact same house that I saw after rush. In that case, it was okay because I still "fit" with both houses -- in fact, I actually fit with the "real" sorority better than the one I saw during rush. This isn't true for everyone. One of the sororities that I liked during rush and that was on my bid card? I later found out that they hazed.

I just think this is a no-brainer -- what you see during rush isn't always what you get, and that can lead to some bad fits.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Getting nervous

So rush starts in about a week, and I am basically getting extremely nervous. Everyone is running around promoting either their non NPC sorority or Rho Chi's are running around promoting NPC sororities, and all the girls are decked out in their house shirts, and getting ready for rush. I wasn't nervous the first time around, infact I just wanted to get in, get out, and get a bid. This time, I am so completely nervous because it may or may not be really difficult to get a bid at all. BAH!! But Im still in it! Heck if I dont get a bid, this whole experience will just make me all the stronger and wiser. Common how many people do you know who can honestly say that rush wasn't the scariest thing ever. 3 girls, talking to you for 10 minutes each, and they then deciding, based on a 10 minute convo, whether or not your worthy of their house. Scary, not gonna lie.

But Im still excited! As nervous as I am, I am still looking forward to it. YAY!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck to you...
Old 09-29-2005, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a re-rushee as well and it turned out wonderfully for me! Granted rush was HARD on me the second time around, in the end it was the best decision I ever made. I knew a ton of the Tri-Delts, and they were the ones who talked me into going through a second time... I think it was destiny! Some chapters won't be willing to look past the fact that you are a sophomore, but those that are may just be the perfect place for you. Don't be surprised if quite a few of the houses drop you the first round, it happened to me. I'm hoping that you find your place, though, and I love to see fellow re-rushees do just that. Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

ETA: I just noticed that I've hit the Senior Member mark... woo hoo!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck. I went through twice because I wasn't happy with the bid I received freshman year. The cuts can be harder the second time around and there's not always a happy ending. Just be yourself and see how things go.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
I was a re-rushee as well and it turned out wonderfully for me! Granted rush was HARD on me the second time around, in the end it was the best decision I ever made. I knew a ton of the Tri-Delts, and they were the ones who talked me into going through a second time... I think it was destiny! Some chapters won't be willing to look past the fact that you are a sophomore, but those that are may just be the perfect place for you. Don't be surprised if quite a few of the houses drop you the first round, it happened to me. I'm hoping that you find your place, though, and I love to see fellow re-rushees do just that. Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

ETA: I just noticed that I've hit the Senior Member mark... woo hoo!
One of my best friends was a re-rush at USC and the exact same thing happened her!! Tri-delts wanted her to rerush, she re-rushed, and Ive never seen her so happy.

Yay!!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

RUSH STARTS FRIDAY!!!! I think I am going to be sick. But I've recently decided that I really will be happy in any house on campus. I mean come on, if they want me, how can I possibly be so self involved as to be "No, I am too good for your house" Please!! Thats just not nice!

GAHHH! Sorry Im kinda scatter-brained right now, as it has recently come to my attention that I need new clothes for rush. EEP!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

best wishes that all works out well for you!!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

nothing but the best to you....
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck tonight!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Good-luck!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no voice

So its now 11:23pm and I am exhausted. So heres the recap, oh and by the way who ever that matchers this year are, are amazing.

There are nine house lets call them
red
orange
yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Gold and
Silver
(none of these correlate to house colors they're just in the order of the houses i visited.)

Ok so starting off red. . .I was kidnapped by a girl who knew me previously, and thus was not able to talk to any other girls. Which was both good and bad, I really have no interest in that house, and don't want this one girl taking our "catching up" conversation to move me forward. At the same time, because i didnt talk to anyone else I may not get asked back.

Orange: The room was great! Alot different than last year ( I remember because it was dark and stiffling last year). Had great conversations with the girls, just casual conversation like old friends would have. Great Fun.

Yellow: Horrible. Which is weird, because last year I had great conversations with them, and this year it was horrible. I was double rushed, and the second girl to talk to us, basically talked about a common friend between her and the other girl. When 10 minutes was spent where I couldnt even try to park take, in a 30 minute party, it makes things a little rough.

Green: Loved them loved them loved them. The room was adorable, the girls were fantastic, I honestly felt the most comfortable in this room, and I dont even have friends in that house. I had terrific conversations AND my rho chi from last year is actually the president and shes an absolute doll!!

Blue: This was totally fun, I bonded with a girl over our theatre interests( shes a major Im a minor) and really had just a fun comfortable converastions. One girl was so comfortable she took her shoes off. Great but not amazing.

Indigo: I was picked up by the ONLY girl I knew in the hosue. We happen to be pretty close so we just sat there an gossiped about things going on lately. It was great to see her again, however she passed me off to a girl I didn't click with at all, which was kind of uncomfortable ( I hate awkward pauses)

Violet: This house has a reputation and I think I met the girls that just dont fit it. Although I felt that they really didnt care about me. THey were talking to me to talk to me, and that was that. They were kind of hollow and thats just sad.

Gold: This house made me really sad. Because I know that they wanted my to pref them last year, and they put on a terrific rush, and the girls are terrific, but I just cannot see myself being happy in that house. I like the girls, but I feel the overall vibe of the house just isnt what Im looking for, or anything that really defines me.

Silver: The sins of rush. The room was so hot and sweltering it was almost impossible to breath. I could tell the girl that picked me up was tired of all this. There were big gaps in the conversation, and I was trying to be excited but her lack of energy just made it alot harder. I was passed on to girls who little to nothing in common with me and had a hard time coming up with things to talk about continusly.

So at the end of the night we rank the house, plug em in and go about our marry way. Heres my ranking
1. Green
2. Orange
3. Indigo
4. Blue
5. Silver
6. Violet
7. Yellow
8. Gold
9. Red

I may have mixed up my 7 and 8 because my mind is so tired I cannot remember which one I put where. But on the matcher comment, I had alot of girls rush me who were also re-rushees. It not uncommon to re-rush at my school, and if everyone is happy in the end then its great.

Another note, we dont have houses, so we have to rush around in a random fashion to a bunch of different conference rooms the houses decorate each day, tear down each night, then move to a different room for the next day. Its intense for those girls, eesh. Any how Im nervous for tomorrow, since I have no idea how many houses I'll be asked back too.

Thanks for all your love and support!!

**Tink**
Butterflys in my stomach!
Old 10-08-2005, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Seems like you had a pretty good night! Good luck for tomorrow

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 10-08-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Are blue and green the same as the blue and green you mentioned at the beginning of this thread? And when is the next night of rush?

Good luck!