GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,322
0 members and 1,322 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2011, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Sororities at......Swarthmore?

After voting off sororities in 1933, Swarthmore students may be looking at bringing them back: http://www.swarthmorephoenix.com/201...fe-for-women-2

Unfortunately, it reads like someone's dissertation.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

From the article
Quote:
In 1891, the first national Greek-letter fraternity for women, Kappa Alpha Theta was founded and later followed by five other sororities including Delta Gamma, Phi Mu, Chi Omega, Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Gamma.
Was there another org named Kappa Gamma or did he forget a Kappa?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably left off a Kappa. And he left off that the first national sorority established at Swarthmore was Kappa Alpha Theta.

That was Delta Gamma's Alpha Beta chapter. It wasn't a single letter chapter, but was the first double letter chapter.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The spellcheck probably caught and deleted the duplication and the writer didn't catch it.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In 1891, the first national Greek-letter fraternity for women, Kappa Alpha Theta was founded and later followed by five other sororities including Delta Gamma, Phi Mu, Chi Omega, Pi Beta Phi and Kappa Gamma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Probably left off a Kappa. And he left off that the first national sorority established at Swarthmore was Kappa Alpha Theta.
Actually, his quote is accurate as is. Theta was founded as the first Greek-letter fraternity for women. At the time of our founding (Jan 1870) neither Pi Phi nor ADPi were known yet by their Greek letter names. I'm not sure of their exact timeline (members, please help me here) but they may have also still been secret societies.

Kappa Kappa Gamma was founded in Oct 1870.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Actually, his quote is accurate as is. Theta was founded as the first Greek-letter fraternity for women. At the time of our founding (Jan 1870) neither Pi Phi nor ADPi were known yet by their Greek letter names.
No, not if you're looking at national foundings, it's not accurate as is. The article says:
Quote:
As you point out, Theta was founded in 1870, not (as the article says) in 1891. Phi Mu, Delta Gamma and Pi Phi were all founded before 1891 as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Beta Iota chapter was at Swarthmore from 1893-1934.

Also, I read the article as follows: Theta was founded (at Swarthmore) in 1891, followed by Delta Gamma, Phi Mu, Chi Omega, Pi Beta Phi, and Kappa Kappa Gamma.

I believe the writer left out a Kappa and the important for clarity "at Swarthmore."

Last edited by amIblue?; 11-03-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Because I apparently don't know the difference between I and A
Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
No, not if you're looking at national foundings, it's not accurate as is. The article says:
As you point out, Theta was founded in 1870, not (as the article says) in 1891. Phi Mu, Delta Gamma and Pi Phi were all founded before 1891 as well.
I see now what a misleading sentence that was. The "founded" could be interpreted to be national founding vs on that campu. I was interpreting it to be national founding- as in Theta was the first Greek letter fraternity for women. Theta came to campus in 1891 and then was followed by the campus founding of the others.

However, I have the benefit of knowing the (general/basic) history and order of those groups and can now see how it was not the best way to word it for a student newspaper.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like all the new sororities are going to be locals not NPC. Is that the impression everyone else got?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta was also at Swarthmore - our Beta Eta chapter. I don't think it was open very long, though.

I would be extremely surprised if sororities returned to Swarthmore as none of its peer colleges (Williams, Amherst, Pomona, Bowdoin, Carleton, etc) have Greek life.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, but do the peer colleges have fraternities? From reading the article, it seems the argument is that if the college supports fraternities they should also support sororities; to do otherwise is to unfairly discriminate against women.

Like Mevara, I read it as indicating they might institute some sort of local sororities.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

But yet they do:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs-dz View Post
Delta Zeta was also at Swarthmore - our Beta Eta chapter. I don't think it was open very long, though.

I would be extremely surprised if sororities returned to Swarthmore as none of its peer colleges (Williams, Amherst, Pomona, Bowdoin, Carleton, etc) have Greek life.
Pomona AND Amherst have GLOs, although Amherst denies it. At least some of Pomona's are co-ed
Old 11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Question How do you deny a GLO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgreekalum View Post
Pomona AND Amherst have GLOs, although Amherst denies it. At least some of Pomona's are co-ed
How does that work? Are they not recognized by the school? Or are they, and the school just doesn't "advertise" this facet of student life?

I'm assuming these would be locals?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM

Swarthmore College
Swarthmore, PA

Kappa Alpha Theta Alpha Beta 1891-1934
Pi Beta Phi Pennsylvania Alpha 1892-1934
Kappa Kappa Gamma Beta Iota 1893-1934
Delta Gamma Alpha Beta 1912-1934
Phi Mu 1919-1934
Chi Omega Gamma Alpha 1919-1932
Delta Zeta Beta Eta 1930-1934
Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

More on the possibility of a sorority at Swarthmore (and again with getting the name wrong):
http://www.philly.com/philly/educati...warthmore.html

It'll be interesting to see whether the arrival of one sparks interest in more.