GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,122
0 members and 1,122 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The Shrine is as appendant body of Freemasonry; you have to be a Master Mason to be eligible to be a Shriner.
Thank you for that info, I had no idea.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
What is up with this sudden influx of men here who want to join fraternities after graduation? That would be the last thing any of the men I know would think of if they were looking for networking, social or volunteer opportunities.
When my father joined the Masons, he was probably in his late 40's or early 50's at that time, his lodge was thrilled to have such a "young" member join. And he moved up through the degrees pretty quickly, because they wanted to get him into a leadership role. He also eventually became a Shriner. So, I would imagine if someone joined at an even younger age, the opportunities for leadership, networking, community involvement, etc would be a lot more plentiful than what someone would gain by joining a college-based fraternity.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
What is up with this sudden influx of men here who want to join fraternities after graduation? That would be the last thing any of the men I know would think of if they were looking for networking, social or volunteer opportunities.
My guess is these men have graduated or are nearing graduation from college and realized they failed at one of the most critical education paths in college- developing a lifelong network of friends and future colleagues - and they're trying to find a way-back machine. Sorority and fraternity life doesn't give that as a part of the membership packet; it comes from 4 years of close contact, project work and socializing with like-minded people. If you were one of those members who initiated, attend the minimum required events, and nothing else, you probably would be just slightly ahead of the guy who never joined at all, except for having access to the password protected part of the fraternity website.

If you join a civic organization and do the work that fraternity members did at 18 and 19 years old, you will be able to make up time pretty quickly, and compared to the fraternity man who graduates and loses all contact with his brothers, you'll be miles ahead. Just look down a different path.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
NPC sorority and NIC fraternity life doesn't give that as a part of the membership packet; it comes from 4 years of close contact, project work and socializing with like-minded people.
FYP.

Knight_shadow, thank you for reading my mind.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
When my father joined the Masons, he was probably in his late 40's or early 50's at that time, his lodge was thrilled to have such a "young" member join. And he moved up through the degrees pretty quickly, because they wanted to get him into a leadership role. He also eventually became a Shriner. So, I would imagine if someone joined at an even younger age, the opportunities for leadership, networking, community involvement, etc would be a lot more plentiful than what someone would gain by joining a college-based fraternity.
It's funny. I'm 26 and am one of the youngest Masons in my Lodge and I think, but am not sure, the youngest Shriner in the Temple for North Idaho.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySPALL View Post
I don't think you can join a frat after you graduate
I don't think you should be speculating when you haven't even received a bid.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
If his only goal is to join a fraternity, that's a terrible idea.

I suspect he's not talking about non-IFC type organizations, otherwise he would know how to go about asking about graduate membership.
I know you said this last year, but he asked the question, I provided an answer. Lots of folks go back to school after they realize their communications/underwater basketweaving degrees aren't going to earn them a living.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why do so many people seem to think that a Greek affiliation is some sort of magic bullet in the business world? In some regions of the country and some industries, people will look favorably on it, but there are just as many where it will work against you.
Playing devil's advocate: One reason that many people might think this is because so many fraternities play up this aspect as a reason to join. If you talk to chapter members during rush or read the chapter website, you will see an emphasis on "how many successful business alumni we have", "the alumni will be there to help you after college", and "you'll make connections to help you in your life and/or career after graduation".

Like DBB said, it depends on the regions and like someone else said it depends on how much effort you put into the chapter when you were there.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I know you said this last year, but he asked the question, I provided an answer. Lots of folks go back to school after they realize their communications/underwater basketweaving degrees aren't going to earn them a living.
Lol. Blast from the past.

Your answer seemed to be framed as "Go back for another degree JUST so you can go Greek" -- that's a waste of money and a hell of a gamble. Going back for academic reasons is fine.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Lol. Blast from the past.

Your answer seemed to be framed as "Go back for another degree JUST so you can go Greek" -- that's a waste of money and a hell of a gamble. Going back for academic reasons is fine.
I figured he'd be able to figure out whether that was worth it for him or not.

FWIW, I have heard of grad students rushing fraternities before.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-15-2014, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I figured he'd be able to figure out whether that was worth it for him or not.

FWIW, I have heard of grad students rushing fraternities before.
bumping an old thread here but more on this please?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Banned

Use an Internet search engine. Research different fraternity councils and conferences, research individual fraternities, and research which fraternities have graduate/alumni initiation. Some of these fraternities are opposed to people fishing for membership but you will figure that out as you go along.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-16-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateGDI View Post
bumping an old thread here but more on this please?
It's possible, but it's uncommon as hell. Even if a fraternity allows graduate students to be members, they may not want to actually pledge grad students.