GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,497
0 members and 1,497 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Murder Mystery Party?

Hi All,

We're throwing a Murder Mystery party for my cousin's fiance as part of her bachelorette weekend. However, I've never done one of these parties before -- can someone explain how they work and how you should prepare for it? One of the co-hostesses has ordered a "Stayin' Alive" mystery kit for the night, but I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks!
dzrose93
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-02-2006, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
When I was in girl scouts (a long time ago) I went to a murder mystery retreat one weekend. The kits are pretty cool, but everyone really has to ham it up. I'm jealous, it sounds like a lot of fun! Watch that episode of Saved by the Bell for inspiration!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 PM

I've done these a couple of times. They take a few different forms. I assume you're doing the type where the participants play different characters, most if not all of whom are suspects.

You should figure out in advance who's going to play which character. A lot of the kits, unfortunately, require an exact number of participants. So I suggest that the hostesses not take on parts; they can pinch-hit if someone doesn't show up at the last minute.

You can give your guests their character information either in advance or at the start of the evening. Your guests will need time to read their information and get into character.

You can ask your guests to come in costume - in this case, '70s clothes would work nicely.

The kit should have some ideas like a way to structure the evening, food and drink suggestions, etc.

Have fun!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

i did one for a dinner party once and it was pretty much as aephialum said. the kit should have descriptions of each character and may even describe their appearance. copy this information and mail to the appropriate guest to give them time to secure their costume , memorize their background information and practice being in character. at least one of the hosts will need to be a sort of "master of ceremonies" and be available to share clues and keep everything rolling along. if there are more than one host, it would be a good idea for them to not be assigned a part, so that they could fill in in case there is a no show.

they are a lot of fun. i hope that you all have a good time.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The ones my family has done before come with CDs with mood music as well as recipes for the dinner. I think it's a lot of fun. I ended up being the murderer last time and didn't even know it!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for all the info, y'all! It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. I talked to the other hostess today, and she is sending out invitations to each girl with her character assignment on it so that they'll all be prepared for the party well in advance. I'm really getting excited!

Jess_Pom -- that episode of Saved by the Bell was on earlier this week!!!! I was watching it, but didn't see the last few minutes because I had to leave for work. If I remember correctly (it's been forever since I watched that episode for the first time), Lisa pretends to be murdered. Is that right?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93
If I remember correctly (it's been forever since I watched that episode for the first time), Lisa pretends to be murdered. Is that right?
I think Lisa was an acomplice the killer.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
The killer was the guy who ran the event... he turned himself into a (really ugly) woman. Lisa disappeared while she was packing and everyone thought Zach was the killer. But alas Zach figured out it was the other guy and he won the prize.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the recap, y'all. I hate it when I miss the end of something!
Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

It was Mustard on a Ham and Cheese Sanbich in The Loo!

What a Hoot, they do a Train Thing In KC on this several times a year.

Food Booze and Crime!

Hell, as an ex cop, I would just shoot them all!

LX Z # 1
Alumni