GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,273
2 members and 1,271 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-20-2003, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool My friend's rush at Pitt

Ok I am just a lurker here (hee) and I've been debating whether or not to post this, but since I saw the thread begging for a Pitt rush and I've decided to share since my friend is uber excited!

In case you are wondering, rush started thursday and bid night is tuesday and my friend has gone thru 11 rounds and is doing 8 rounds today.

The 11 houses are:
ADPi
AEPhi
DDD
DZ
DPhiE
KD
KKG
SDT
SSS
TPA
XO

I'll use colors I guess to hide identities and since there are so many pitt ppl here, I'm not going to go into details about what she said they did.

11 Rounds:

Brown: She thought this house was kind of boring and filled with girls that she would just not get along with. The conversations were good, but she just did not feel "at home" here.

RED: She LOVED this house, loved loved loved them... she saw their colors and was like oh my god I'm in love (b/c one of their colors is her favorite colors). Was really interested in their philanthropy and had excellent conversations.

Teal: She knows a few girls in this house (she's a soph) and was really impressed with how they were saying that they had heard good things about her. Yay.

Orange: This house was kind of a let down for her b/c she has friends in this house back home and they were nothing alike. She liked them enough, except the one girl she talked to she was not too pleased with. But she is willing to give them a second chance.

Purple: She knows some of the girls here too, thought the way that they ran rush was extremely classy. She described these girls as sweethearts who were extremely cool.

Blue: She expected not to like them and she was more impressed than she thought she would have been. She also believes that she would not fit in here.

Green: She really liked this house, thought the one girl that she was paired with the longest was kind of ditzy, but the other girls who came over sold her on the house.

Pink: These girls were, according to her really rehearsed and acted kind of disinterested. It may just have been the girls that she talked to, but she was not impressed with them.

Coral: She liked the girls but thought that she did not have that much in common with them, but wants to give them a second chance tomorrow.

Lime: Again, more impressed with them than she thought she would be, they were sweet and seemed interested in her.

Aqua: She felt that she had nothing in common with the girls here and the one girl was more focused on herself than anything else.

She ranked:
Red
Teal
Purple
Green
Lime
Orange
Blue
Coral
Pink
Aqua
Brown

And she got invited back to her top 8!:
Red
Teal
Purple
Green
Lime
Orange
Blue
Coral
Old 09-20-2003, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Yay! Good luck to her! *More rushs w/SDT!*

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-20-2003, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

there you go...she nailed it.
continue to have fun and see how it all plays out.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for posting for your friend!! Hope she enjoys the ride!!
Old 09-20-2003, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm, this interesting?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-21-2003, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Just as a note, quota was set at 14!

It's going great on our end, but we will see how things go for 4 rounds tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPARose
Just as a note, quota was set at 14!

It's going great on our end, but we will see how things go for 4 rounds tomorrow!
Glad to hear SOME news.
I haven't seen my roommate since Thursday (she's still an active KD undergrad)- I have no idea what's going on- the only time we've been home at the same time one of us has been sleeping.

14 sounds like the usual for quota.... like usual, a lot of girls probably dropped out, which sucks.

You'd think on a campus of 12500 undergrads or so we could get more than 150-some to rush.

Thanks for the update!
Old 09-21-2003, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

sunshinegurlie- congrats to your friend so far. 11 to 8 isn't too bad (as in cuts, usually the invites aren't hard for good girls to get!) Today's 4, right? That's always a rough cut. But I think with the computer matching it may go better this year? I wonder how that's working out (fire1977- would love to hear from you!)

On another note, I saw someone register as UPitt Galie last night- is that your friend?

Last edited by kddani; 09-21-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:21 AM

Congrats to your friend on her invites to round 2 - and best of luck to her. Keep us posted
Old 09-21-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm here, albeit exhausted. I can't really form sentences right now so please excuse the choppiness.

That's great for your friend sunshinegurlie! Good luck to her!

kddani - you were right a LOT of girls dropped out just on 11 rounds. Even more than usual. Lots of Juniors this year so they do count in quota, that will be interesting.

Things are going great for us, we (our chapter) are trying a new system of rushing and everyone seems more comfortable with it. I'm really proud of the chapter, they have really put a lot of heart into this recruitment.

Tonight will be a hard cut, I really wish it wasn't soooo harsh but, eh, I'm not worried about it. Good luck to everyone!!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I finally got to talk to my roommate before she left for our party this morning. Our return rates from 11 to 8 were excellent- i think only 6 girls didn't return- and at least 1 of them dropped dropped. She said there were 22 juniors going through rush- that's a ton! It's sad that there was such a big dropout after 11 rounds- maybe there were a lot of grade risks this year? I'm not sure if I agree with juniors counting towards quota. I know that KD has a lot of older sisters, and i'm sure other houses do too. Of course if they didn't count towards quota, that would've been insane. I'm thinking maybe it would've just been better to put a separate quota on juniors- 3 or 4 per house, max?

I'm sad that a lot of girls have dropped and that quota is only 14 and counts juniors. KD needs 16 to be at total, so even if we get quota we'll still have to COB 2.

I don't recall seeing any newspaper ads or fliers around campus.... doesn't seem like rush was very well promoted this year?

fire1977- if you can gather the energy- how do you think the computer matching is going?

honeychile- were you at rush yesterday?

Best wishes to all the Pitt houses for today! I'm kind of scared to see how many drop out now- 8 to 4 is always a big cut and a lot of girls get their hearts broken. I kind of wish the cut was from 11 to 7 (instead of 8) then to 4.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

they've always done the computer matching for parties-so that's nothing new, it was just the bid matching. I'm very pleased with our return rate. There were a few that would have been grade exceptions (we're not allowed to take anyone without our required gpa. period.) Seriously the sorority is there to enhance your academic growth not fix it, etc. I seriously believe that no one below a 2.0 should be able to rush and I think that's really conservative of me!

I agree on the junior thing, but I'll elaborate later.

No one was completely dropped from 11 rounds, so that is good.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

To answer your question first, kddani, no - my days were today and tomorrow. Seeing as how I'm sick as a dog, though, I was asked to keep my germs at home!

[vent] I really, really wish Pitt's Panhel would make rules AND STICK TO THEM!!!! This sudden reversal of juniors counting towards quota is so ludicrous - it's like saying, oh, we only have juniors rushing, so we better count them! You just KNOW that that decision is going to cause a LOT of heartache today/tonight when juniors aren't invited back to Pref, and that angers me!!! [/vent]

Other than that, I've heard good things about recruitment. It sounds like a really great group of PNMs and everything's going more smoothly than those of us who don't trust computer matching had anticipated.

Let's hope it stays upbeat!!

ps - Did I hear that JBoard isn't monitoring, but the Rho Chi's are? Unless there's been a change in the Green Book, I definitely remember that the Rho Chi's were NOT to be "in" any of the parties!

Last edited by honeychile; 09-21-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by fire1977

No one was completely dropped from 11 rounds, so that is good.
VERY good news!!

I know that our GPA standards are a higher than Panhel's, and it's caused a little stress, but that happens every year.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

yes honeychile you are correct about J-Board, don't get me started on that one!! lol

I have to go get ready. I'll see if I can get on here later.