GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,880
0 members and 1,880 guests
No Members online

Old 10-16-2015, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
*I'm still thinking about this one. It's not consciously racist, but do chapters have parties named after white men?
For what it is worth, my chapter had a "Starring Val and his Leading Gals" (Val Kilmer) party hah.

But, and let's make this perfectly clear, in this particular case the man in question is literally the biggest celebrity figure in the media and has been for many, many years now. The only figure possibly bigger than him is his wife, a white woman, who was also very clearly a focal part of this event.

If this was, say, a "Master P Make Em Say UGHHHHH" party, it'd be very clear we'd have a problematic focus on race. Also, this particular party cannot stand alone...I understand that GLOs have a long history of offensive ethnic parties.

But to say a party focused around a black and white couple, who are literally the most famous, mocked (in media), covered celebrities on the planet was based off of race and not off of the fame is stretching. I'll need way more proof.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD Alum View Post
And in this case, the people not only made their own interpretations but then staged a huge public protest and smeared people publicly and in a very high profile based on that interpretation, and in a way that will undoubtedly unfairly impact them for the rest of their careers, and all this based on an "interpretation" which if you spend more than 5 seconds thinking about it critically, is completely erroneous and impossible to defend.

That is completely unacceptable. Completely, utterly, reprehensibly unacceptable. The protestors involved were so carried away by being victims of an act that never actually occurred AND, like I said, required mere seconds of critical thinking to realize never occurred, and they never stopped to realize they were creating innocent victims of their own.

It's absolutely disgusting. There is absolutely no excuse for what happened here.
Welcome to the reality of every unjustly incarcerated (who are mostly people of color) people.

Permanent life altering decisions based on rash interpretations and preconceived notions.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
The only figure possibly bigger than him is his wife, a white woman, who was also very clearly a focal part of this event.
I think Kim identifies as mixed-race.

In any case, something doesn't have to be "racially motivated" to be racist. But in a general sense, people can be racist without trying or meaning to be racist, whether or not that's the case here.

I'm not comfortable with the theme, but I'm also not comfortable condemning it.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
So, basically--you can't make fun or light of the antics of an especially ridiculous celebrity if that celebrity is a person of color.

Got it.
Its the context.

In this case for Alpha Phi it was:

1. 'Kanye Western' party
2. Dress like old time gold diggers, smear charcoal on face.
3. Charcoal on face is interpreted as actually being 'blackface', and not just dirt.
4. History of historically white GLOs having blackface / ethnic themed parties.

If the 'Kanye Western' party was done by any other group, then this backlash may not have even come up.

Given that about a year ago the historically white GLO fraternity in Oklahoma was caught on camera singing a song using the N-word, plus all of the recent protests over police killings and beatings of Black people, then that leaves any other incident after all this as suspect.

I'm sure the APhis meant their party to be innocent fun, but their actions are being judged and viewed through all of these recent social happenings.

People outside of GLOs are not going to ponder and debate what is blackface and what isn't. The way it is being seen by the public is this is just another group of white people making fun of Blacks because Kanye West is Black.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think Kim identifies as mixed-race.
Kim is NOT mixed race. Her mother was born Kristin Mary Houghton of Irish descent. Her father was the late Robert Kardashian. Kardashian was Armenian. Armenians are a Caucasian people ( literally ....Armenia is in the Caucasus mountains. ) His complexion like Kim's was olive.

Last edited by Gdimom1; 10-16-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Given that about a year ago the historically white GLO fraternity in Oklahoma was caught on camera singing a song using the N-word, plus all of the recent protests over police killings and beatings of Black people, then that leaves any other incident after all this as suspect.
Wow - I don't even know how to process that. Any other incident is already suspect? That's quite a broad brush.

You said upthread that the treatment these women are receiving is comparable to that of those who are unjustly incarcerated. I find the comparison faulty, but for the sake of discussion, what do you think should happen when those unjustly incarcerated people are found to have done nothing wrong? Do you think those responsible for the incarceration/damage to reputation owe the incarcerated person an apology? If so, what do you think these women are owed in response to their undeserved condemnation?
Old 10-16-2015, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Welcome to the reality of every unjustly incarcerated (who are mostly people of color) people.

Permanent life altering decisions based on rash interpretations and preconceived notions.
So then you must be at least partially aware of how absurdly hypocritical your stance on this issue is. You are about one connection away from realizing what everybody else is trying to tell you. Make the leap.

Quote:
I'm not comfortable with the theme, but I'm also not comfortable condemning it.
My issue is not the theme. You can protest the theme. What you can't do is defiantly label a group of people as doing a specific heinous act, publicly shame theme and drag their names through the mud, when there is actually no proof it ever happened (and in fact, abundant proof to the contrary).

Quote:
Yes, which was awful. And I wholeheartedly protested that and think the chapter deserved everything that happened to them. I also understand that actions like this will cause the offended group to be especially cautious of the institution as a whole. And yet...

Quote:
I'm sure the APhis meant their party to be innocent fun, but their actions are being judged and viewed through all of these recent social happenings.
If a person of privilege makes an uninformed assumption and unlawful accusation based on a stereotype, I have no doubt you would protest it (so would I). We must think critically about these things. That has to extend to both sides. If you are going to protest a heinous act and name names, you need to make DAMN WELL SURE it actually happened. The SAE racist chant absolutely happened without a doubt. There is video. There are witnesses. Same for when alumna at an SEC school (blanking on which one) blocked the pledging of a black woman.

In this case there is no evidence. In fact, it is blatantly clear to all who spend more than 5 seconds looking at the photo that it was not blackface. Nobody did their research here. Nobody thought critically. People jumped on a trope of "racist sorority" and ran with it without ever examining the evidence, you included based on your earlier posts where you clearly didn't even know what specifically the women were dressed as and clearly had not even seen the photos in question.

It used to be innocent until proven guilty. Our culture has shifted to guilty until proven innocent. You are arguing one step farther...you are actually arguing "GUILTY EVEN THOUGH PROVEN INNOCENT". How can you not see this???
Old 10-17-2015, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So then you must be at least partially aware of how absurdly hypocritical your stance on this issue is. You are about one connection away from realizing what everybody else is trying to tell you. Make the leap.

My issue is not the theme. You can protest the theme. What you can't do is defiantly label a group of people as doing a specific heinous act, publicly shame theme and drag their names through the mud, when there is actually no proof it ever happened (and in fact, abundant proof to the contrary).

Yes, which was awful. And I wholeheartedly protested that and think the chapter deserved everything that happened to them. I also understand that actions like this will cause the offended group to be especially cautious of the institution as a whole. And yet...

If a person of privilege makes an uninformed assumption and unlawful accusation based on a stereotype, I have no doubt you would protest it (so would I). We must think critically about these things. That has to extend to both sides. If you are going to protest a heinous act and name names, you need to make DAMN WELL SURE it actually happened. The SAE racist chant absolutely happened without a doubt. There is video. There are witnesses. Same for when alumna at an SEC school (blanking on which one) blocked the pledging of a black woman.

In this case there is no evidence. In fact, it is blatantly clear to all who spend more than 5 seconds looking at the photo that it was not blackface. Nobody did their research here. Nobody thought critically. People jumped on a trope of "racist sorority" and ran with it without ever examining the evidence, you included based on your earlier posts where you clearly didn't even know what specifically the women were dressed as and clearly had not even seen the photos in question.

It used to be innocent until proven guilty. Our culture has shifted to guilty until proven innocent. You are arguing one step farther...you are actually arguing "GUILTY EVEN THOUGH PROVEN INNOCENT". How can you not see this???
To the red - that is a subjective statement. Since this situation has caused an uproar, it is not clear to all. Obviously, some saw the picture and thought, 'hey, that's cute', while others saw it as offensive.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Wow - I don't even know how to process that. Any other incident is already suspect? That's quite a broad brush.
Unfortunately, yes. That is why you had the response from the Afrikan Student Organization and the University.

Had there not been the recent incidents I listed, then this party from APhi would not even register as a blip on anyone's radar. BUT, since there have been all of these racially involved incidents, then *any*thing that even hints of negative racial involvement is magnified.

Quote:
You said upthread that the treatment these women are receiving is comparable to that of those who are unjustly incarcerated. I find the comparison faulty, but for the sake of discussion, what do you think should happen when those unjustly incarcerated people are found to have done nothing wrong? Do you think those responsible for the incarceration/damage to reputation owe the incarcerated person an apology? If so, what do you think these women are owed in response to their undeserved condemnation?
These women would be owed an apology. But if the evidence hangs on the picture of the chapter members that was posted, it would not be hard for someone to try to connect their appearance in the photo with other photos of white people in blackface. It is too close for comfort. And as I told DTDAlum, interpretation of the photo is completely subjective.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
These women would be owed an apology. But if the evidence hangs on the picture of the chapter members that was posted, it would not be hard for someone to try to connect their appearance in the photo with other photos of white people in blackface. It is too close for comfort. And as I told DTDAlum, interpretation of the photo is completely subjective.

The gold-mining costumes in the photo were probably the most benign costumes at the party. As far as context, the CALIFORNIA Gold Rush shouldn't be a context so remote -- especially for students at a university in CALIFORNIA.

To soft-peddle what the Afrikan org and the University did as a "response" is grossly minimalizing what they actually did -- which was incite hysteria and punish based on nothing whatsoever. The students in the orgs unjustly attacked and punished absolutely deserve an apology and at the very least an official statement to clear the reputation of their orgs.

I doubt the official statement/correction would get the attention that the original accusations and "response" did, but it should. The UC Davis student newspaper further embellished the false accusations with its own version of events as if these were fact. I wouldn't want articles like this hanging out there about my org when the accusation is just not true:

Quote:
Imagine that you’re at a party. Music is playing, alcohol is flowing and suddenly, some people arrive in blackface. The other members of the party continue about their business, seemingly unfazed. No one speaks up; no one asks for the blackface to be removed. Some people might even laugh.

This might sound like a scene straight out of the 1920s, but it happened just last week, when the UCLA chapters of the Sigma Phi Epsilon (SigEp) fraternity and the Alpha Phi sorority made headlines after photos emerged of members wearing blackface, dressed up in chains and oversized clothing at a “Kanye-Western” themed party.
http://www.theaggie.org/2015/10/14/racist-offenses-embarrass-uc-system/

Last edited by Hartofsec; 10-17-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question for those in the know:

Have the sanctions on these orgs yet been lifted? It seems like this is a long time (at least 10 days now?) to punish these orgs with no evidence of the accusations.

Perhaps the admin is waiting and praying that a blackface photo actually does surface?

Question for the legal expertise on the thread:

Can an entity or org independent of the GLOs file a complaint or legal action against the university (regarding violation of 1st Amendment rights) without the endorsement/cooperation of the GLOs?

***ETA link to interesting article on the topic:

The Anti-Free-Speech Movement at UCLA

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/the-anti-free-speech-movement-at-ucla/410638/

Last edited by Hartofsec; 10-17-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't checked in the past 24 hours, but last I looked the Alpha Phi chapter still had their Facebook, twitter, instagram STILL shut down and I have yet to read any kind of response from either that chapter or Alpha Phi nationals. I do know that the chapter was instructed to take down their social media sites during the "investigation". I'm frustrated ! Why isn't their national org giving them any support? I had hoped that the chapter, or nationals would have immediately sent a letter to all members of the chapter, the brand new pledge class, etc. telling them to hold tight, we are here to support you and help you through this! Instead, nothing! And new members have dropped out! Can't say I blame them either! They were scared. They were immediately judged and labeled as racists. Imagine what their parents back home thought? They probably called their daughters and told them to drop out immediately. I really think that Alpha Phi and Sig Ep have taken a big hit and they are deeply wounded. And what good is really coming from this? The Afrikan group was very very quick to harshly judge--and many have been deeply hurt. Did this fraternity party RUIN the fall quarter for the Afrikan American group???? Well, I do think that the fall quarter has been ruined for many members of Alpha Phi and Sig Ep at UCLA. I just do not see how anything good and valuable is going to come from this situation.

Last edited by BlueOwl; 10-17-2015 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

And wouldn't this have been a great opportunity to bring the Afrikan American group members together with IFC and Panhellenic to actually TALK! Talk with respect. To really listen and seek to understand. Without threats and name calling! Without intimidation tactics. Maybe then something could have been learned and understood on both sides of the situation.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, it is absolutely damn well not subjective. A first reaction to a photo? Yes, subjective. A general sense of unease or offense over a party? Sure, yes. To declare it as "blackface" when it is not? No. Not subjective. At all. Disgusting.

This is not a gray area. The photo was either blackface, or it was not. While the men and women are entitled to feel uncomfortable about a theme, and even speak out on that theme, they needed to sit down, THINK CRITICALLY, like adults, before making a rash and 100% incorrect accusation and taking it so publicly. They did not just protest to say they were uncomfortable, they specifically said people were dressed in blackface. That never happened. That is not open for interpretation. They can decide to be offended, but they cannot claim something happened (especially that damning) that never did.

It's clear we don't agree. I just think your stance on this is egregiously unfair, completely ignorant, and cold.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

"It looked like that man was jumping in a car to hijack that woman! It turns out after the evidence surfaced, she actually invited him in and they knew each other. But there has been a history of car hijacks in this area, and you know, this is all just so subjective, so if I interpret it as a hijacking, let's protest and charge him and put it in jail because that's what IIIIIII thought it was."