GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 787
3 members and 784 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Arkansas

Hi everyone! I'm going to the University of Arkansas in the fall and I'm really wanting to join a sorority, but neither of my parents were Greek. If anyone has any information or tips I'd really appreciate it! I don't know anything about recruitment or about any of the houses so all advice is gladly welcomed! Also I read in another thread that this was one of the schools where reference letters were almost required. What happens if I can't find someone for each sorority?
Thank you!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

you will need recs for basically all of the houses. contact your local alumnae panhel if you can't find recs.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I will second the above posters comment in case you disregard someone who has such a stupid, offensive name. Recommendations are very important. Search the site for information on finding recs. There are lots of threads here. Good luck!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you must have recs there. Check with school counselors, teachers, friends of your parents,people from church, employers, etc.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you gotten on the Greek Life web site?

http://uagreeks.uark.edu/1437.htm

This is a link to greek life that should give you all the information you'll need. If you don't know any one who is in a sorority that can write a rec contact your local Panhellenic Alumni association. They should be able to help you. I would ask your friends Mom's if they were in a sorority and start there. Make sure you attach an appropriate picture- like a senior picture to the recommendation. Good luck to you.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinm6000 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm going to the University of Arkansas in the fall and I'm really wanting to join a sorority, but neither of my parents were Greek. If anyone has any information or tips I'd really appreciate it! I don't know anything about recruitment or about any of the houses so all advice is gladly welcomed! Also I read in another thread that this was one of the schools where reference letters were almost required. What happens if I can't find someone for each sorority?
Thank you!
Recommendations are almost necessary.

I've been privy to a rush-rec list for a top sorority there, and most in their later rounds at 2 recs at least, but I saw as many as 7 or 8.

Of all the out-of-state girls, Kansas girls have the third or fourth best chances of receiving a bid even though they're from out of state (1. Texas, 2. Oklahoma, 3/4 Kansas Missouri). It will put you at a disadvantage but you certainly have a good chance.

And keep an open mind.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Recs are crucial at the U of A. Try to find them to all the houses, and if possible get two. But don't freak out if you hear girls during rush say they have 30+ recs to one house (yes as insane as this is it is true). That is just overkill and really doesn't matter. I was from out-of-state as well and it didn't hurt me one bit so don't stress about that too much. Go into open minded and everything will work itself out. Good luck!!! Woo Pig Sooie!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You definitely need recs. I would try for 2 - 3 per house if possible, especially since you are out of state. There are plenty of girls from the Kansas City area in sororities at Arkansas. You should defnitely get in touch with the KC area panhellenic alum association to let them know you will be going through rush at U of A.

Read all of the stickied threads on GC about recruitment and you will learn a lot that will help you. Pay attention to the threads about SEC schools or others that are competitive. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Go Hogs!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you all for the advice!