GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,277
0 members and 2,277 guests
No Members online

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

aumom,

I have two sons in college and recently served as an advisor. I won't lie, there is a lot of partying in college these days. There was a lot of partying in my day, too. The difference is that we were typically partying with 3.2 beer (legal at 18) and many of the girls today party with hard liquor(legally or illegally obtained). Back in the day, we spent a lot of time in line for the one bathroom in the bar, drastically cutting down on the actual amount of weak beer that we consumed. Current drinkers spend a lot of time knocking back strong, sweet, candy like drinks. Of course this is a generalization, but it's what I have experienced.

The sororities will have a huge mixture of women--ranging from extremely conservative and religious to wild child, and everything in between. She would be able to find kindred spirits in all of the chapters.

Regarding the roommate, some of that could be shocktalk. If your daughter is a straignt arrow, and has made that clear verbally or non-verbally, the roomie could be exagerating for effect. Maybe it was a conversation that simply went south. Hopefully she isn't as wild as she said. If so, maybe she won't be in college long....At any rate, your daughter will spend most of her time with her new sisters. Yea!! Best of Luck to her and all the AU PNMs!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter too said there are partiers and non partiers in each group. I hope that she didn't just meet the partiers. Most of the sororities have a list of campus groups their girls belong to, most vary widely. She might want to review those sites.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM

aumom2010 - I agree with Katmandu that the roomie might just be trying to pull your daughter's chain. Unless she drinks, smokes and boinks in their room, it would probably be a good learning experience to stick it out. If she's in a sorority she's going to encounter all types of people and better to deal with it in this situation than with a sister a year or two down the road. Plus, sometimes it's easier to be roommates with someone you're NOT best friends with.

And yes, in any group as large as the sororities at Auburn (or any SEC school for that matter) there is going to be everything from soup to nuts as far as partying is concerned. Just tell your daughter not to listen to the gossip and to go where she feels comfortable.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally agree with katmandu and 33girl. But aren't most dorms these days non-smoking? I know, I know, the smoke still clings to hair, skin and clothes, and stinks up the dorm room. Yuck.

I will also say that I knew a decent number of girls who lived "sheltered" lives before they went off to the big school (but not all, obviously), who, after a few weeks, decided to let their wild child out, because they could. They proceeded to drink anyone under the table with that bleacchy 3.2 beer, and while they were under that table, screw anyone under there too. Then there were the girls who found a boyfriend after 2 weeks and always had the joker in the room. This was 30 years (oh God no, it can't be!) ago. Some things never change. She will figure it out. But like everyone said, it wouldn't hurt for HER to talk to the RA soon to find out what her options would be, and any deadlines, just in case she finds that she is in an untenable situation with her roommate.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ Hahaha! And it happened more than 30 years ago too! What is it they say--"the more things change, the more they stay the same"?

What you said about 'and while they were under the table...." would be referring to half the girls in the next dorm over.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Final Day 2 Update

Just finished our Skype call with Emma.

She seemed mentally exhausted after two days of recruitment.

Prioritizing her choices was difficult because she didn't really feel like she disliked any of them. She mentioned the fact that each of the groups had such similar chapter rooms and they all wore very similar style shirts, and this made it more difficult to remember each group. To help, she just started writing down a numerical ranking between 1 -10 as soon as she left each party. Today, her favorite group received a 9 and her least favorite group rated a 5.

She also mentioned that if she didn't get invited back to the Diamondbacks she would be disappointed, but would still feel good about most of the others.

She told me that she would text me after she meets with her Pi Chi in the morning.

When I hear from her, I'll try to get you an update.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherrySonata View Post
They must have been wearing their old uniforms!
That cracked me up! I'm glad to see that there are some baseball fans reading this thread.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say, "Go Red Sox!" but they have had a snakebitten year so far, would not want that for your daughter.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
HOOOOOOLY COWW! GO CUBS GO!

Thanks so much to AUMom2010 & AuburnDad for these tidbits & updates. So many of us are such recruitment nerds and can't get enough of this
I'm glad both seem to be keeping good attitudes and wish them continued luck. As cuts come, remember that they do get to go back to some amazing chapters and could click more on a second, third visit.
Again, best of luck!

TEII
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
That cracked me up! I'm glad to see that there are some baseball fans reading this thread.
Hehe They're an 'underdog' team of sorts, and generally pretty hated-- with one win in, what was it, '01? And the few fans they got after that were quite upset when Mr. New Coach* decides to change the team colors. Um, yeahhhh, because NO other team in the league has red in their colors...

Needless to say, my dad follows it (and most other sports) more than me... I don't even know Mr. New Coach's name :P I could go on and on about Steve Nash and Lebron James though

eta:
*Or was it the owner? Ah well, you get the point...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Are the Orioles still in the running? The O's have to win somewhere right...?

Cheers to another good day for Emma!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3

Good news! Emma has a full slate of 12. And the Diamondbacks have invited her back! She has quite a few parties to got to today so I don't know when I'll be able to update you again.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
Good news! Emma has a full slate of 12. And the Diamondbacks have invited her back! She has quite a few parties to got to today so I don't know when I'll be able to update you again.
Excellent!!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I also am happy to report that "Cassie" has a full list of 12, All of her top 12 asked her back, although I think she probably is 2nd guessing a couple of her decisions.

I will also update later.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Yay! A big War Eagle to Emma and Cassie!!!!