GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,606
3 members and 1,603 guests
indygphib, LaneSig, TLLK

Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta Trivia

I have seen this thread on other boards. Here is the first trivia question:

In the early years of KD, there was talk of KD being absorbed by a larger group, actually at the time of the final vote, there was a lot of argument against it that the decision was never finalized. Which group almost absorbed KD? per information in Ordinary Miracles

DaffyKD

Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It was the esteemed Kappa Alpha Theta that almost absorbed KD.

Obviously I'm glad it didn't happen, but I have so much admiration for Theta that I'm sure if it had happened things would have worked out.

I remember reading about the possible merger and what a tough time KD was going through. (I think this was in the early 1910's) It makes me proud that KD stuck it out, being "the new kid on the block".

Do I get to pose the next question?

In what year did Kappa Delta become a "sorority" instead of a "fraternity"?

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 01-18-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

~

Last edited by kathykd2005; 01-19-2007 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Felt like it :)
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
Let's just pretend it was a test to make sure we knew that. Yay! We all passed.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAngel View Post
Let's just pretend it was a test to make sure we knew that. Yay! We all passed.
HaHa!! Yes, it was all just a scheme so I could find out who the real KDs were.

Okay, onto other things....

Old 01-18-2007, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I seriously wish I knew more trivia questions to ask... where do I find these things?

Okay, so I don't have the answer to this, but I think it'd be interesting if someone knows or if we could find out -- how much were dues when our founders first started KD?
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
Old 01-19-2007, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to post that information.
Each of the questions being asked are available in Ordinary Miracles and in the both sets of the history of KD. Nothing asked is confidential.

DaffyKD
Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

The Ordinary Miracles video was the best. I wish that it was still up on the KD site. But the book is available on the KD site in the Boutiquehttp://www.kappadelta.org/Boutique.htm I think I'll have to ask for a copy for my birthday coming up next month.

Last edited by KDAngel; 01-19-2007 at 11:26 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Another question

Okay, so don't have a cow. I'm not asking anything that isn't in the history books.

Here's the question:

"Charlie" regularly attended the earliest of Kappa Delta's initiations at Farmville. Who was he and why was he there?

The fraternity/sorority question is also still up for grabs.

Someone's got to take a stab at these or I'm going to become a thread hog.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
Each of the questions being asked are available in Ordinary Miracles and in the both sets of the history of KD. Nothing asked is confidential.

DaffyKD
Ok, let's just move on from that question please. :-D
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey ladies,I know you're aware of this but i'll say it again in case any other KDs come to this thread. I think it's a great idea, but please please please think about whether or not what you want to say is ritual related- and remember that ritual is more than just initiation.

I'm mainly saying this because I started a new job yesterday and won't really be able to be online during the workday to do clean up if needed.

Hope everyone's new year is as off to as good a start as mine! New job and trying to buy a townhouse
Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

About CHI.....

Hi! I went to Longwood! I am not a Farmville Four Sister, but am a proud member of Sigma Kappa. CHI is an amazing part of Longwood and its traditions. Revealing of CHI Members is called "CHI Burning". At CHI Burning, the members (both boys and girls) come down a hill on campus to a bonfire. Students surround the bonfire as the CHI members walk into the circle with torches and singing their song. They wear blue robes, and a white bib-like piece on front of their chest. The white part always has a big "X" (the Greek letter for CHI) on it. and in each four areas of the each states the year. One part would have a 2, then another would have the 0, etc. They then commend certain other students not in CHI they feel have greatly served the Longwood Community. It is a very emotional time for all students. Being tapped into CHI is the greatest honor a Longwood student can receive during their time at school. Often there are tears of joy and pride as this ceremony is done. I am proud to say that one of my own sisters was in Chi while I was there. As you lovely KD's might want to know, one of Kappa Delta's presidents, Cate Light, was a member of Chi.

CHI members are only members their senior year. They may only tell one person they are in CHI while they are still an active member. This is how it works: There is a certain number of members. They have what we call a CHI Walk. They happen at midnight. Not all members go to every CHI Walk. This is done so people won't get suspicious about certain people always being gone the night of CHI Walks. The CHI Walks occur all over campus. They are dropped off in their robes, and you cannot see their faces. They sing their song (as we all sing quietly along) and stomp their feet to a beat. Then they get back into the van, and go away. Sometimes they leave "CHI presents" around (certain objects they made, like banners, showing Longwood and CHI pride).

Here is a short video of what a "walk" looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb9u0GBWs4o

I am sorry if my posting on your wall offends anyone. I just wanted to give you more information on it

Sigma Kappa
1<31->
The BEST girls wear PEARLS
Old 09-22-2007, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=SigKapAngel767;1525456]About CHI.....

Being tapped into CHI is the greatest honor a Longwood student can receive during their time at school. Often there are tears of joy and pride as this ceremony is done. I /quote]

I think it is fascinating, and I appreciate you posting this! I am amazed at the wonderful traditions that Longwood seems to have, CHI, Longwood Jumpers, and not to mention 4 NPC sororities! Thanks for the info, and it sounds as if that was an amazing place to go to school.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting this information, SigKapAngel767!

It really seems like an amazing tradition. I would love to visit Longwood some day. I've been studying so much about KD's founding that Farmville is like Mecca to me. Ms_Gwyn (a tri sigma) and I are actually planning to go if we can get permission to visit the archives.

Hey SigKapAngel, do you know when Longwood first started admitting men? Were you there when the big fire happened a few years back?

Oh! There's one other thing that I'm curious about. Do the Farmville Four chapters give the impression that they own the place since they were founded there? You have a pretty big Greek system for a smaller school. It looks like such a fun university!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone for receiving me so kindly on your forum!

You might want to check with your headquarters with what original KD or Tri-Sigma artifacts are actually in Farmville. From what I have heard, most of it is at their headqurters. As I am not a member of either, I am not sure

I think men started coming time in the 70s... :-/ not 100% sure on this, haha

I went to Longwood the fall after the fire. We are very lucky one person was only minorly injured. I felt horrible for the ZTA's though, because one of the buildings damaged, I think is where a lot of their founding sisters had started the sorority. I'm not completely sure though. :-/

The Farmville Four are very strong chapters, as are all the chapters at Longwood! All 9 chapters at Longwood are capped around 55. We have one dorm called "Stubbs" with four floors. The top three floors are each divided into 3 sections so each sorority has a "hall" which includes a chapter room. The sororities at Longwood get along very well, and it is frowned upon to be rude to another sorority, Alpha chapter or not. We have friends in other sororities, and often socialize with them. Longwood Greeks have a sense of pride. We like to set the example at school, and treat everyone nicely. Your Alpha sisters would make you so proud...they carry themselves with dignity, respect everyone, and make Kappa Delta look amazing everyday!

Sigma Kappa
1<31->
The BEST girls wear PEARLS