GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,154
1 members and 1,153 guests
aradativanovay8

Old 07-27-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Why I am Angry and Relocation Advice Request

Ok, just to get this off my chest: Napster is going off line on Friday night. I am heartbroken!! I love Napster and have become a bit addicted.

Anyway, the real reason for this post: I have a feeling quite a few of you have experience with this, so I am asking for some words of wisdom.

How do you handle relocating to a city quite far away? The only time I had to move city to city with my parent's help, the city was close enough for me to drive over and check out apartments/neighborhoods before signig a lease. I was also able to drive up and apply for jobs and interview. How do you handle all this when you're moving far away (too far to drive up and check things out) and you don't know the city well and you don't really know anyone there?

I am worried about getting in over my head, getting into a place in a terrible neighborhood (I keep worrying I might end up in a neighborhood like the one i grew up in!!).

Any advice, aside from the obvioius (do your research)?

Thanks in advance.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2000, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Hey Asia2000!

I know the anxiety you are experiencing over relocating. Like you, I am about to embark on a move that will carry me approximately 800 miles from my homestate.
Actually I lucked up and met a very nice leasing agent at one of the complexs I toured. She basically gave me the "low-down" on the city, a map, and kindly highlighted the appealing parts of town, so to speak.

2) In so far as job interviews, I scheduled all of mine for the week I was there. It worked out well, even though I had about 3 interviews a day. As a result, I have decided to take one of these job offers.

Depending on where you are going, you should try and talk to people, especially those that work as leasing agents because they are the best thing since apple pie! LOL
Then again, depending upon where you grew up, you can pretty much determine which neighborhoods are the most desireable. At least I can because I'm a New Yorker!! LOL LOL

Hope this little bit of advice helps!
GOOD LUCK!

"THEE BKLYNDLTA"
1913% LEGIT AND LOVIN' IT
Old 07-27-2000, 01:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Just like to say, MEtallica sucks!!!!!!!! Long live napster. By the way, try to find FTP sites, Metallica could never ever shut them down. About moving,

Try using www.rent.com. Couple of my brothers used it and they said it was very helpfull in finding apartments. As for jobs, sorry, got mine during my senior year.
I had it ready by the time I graduated. Finally listen to my parents.
Old 07-27-2000, 08:59 AM
Artimis

Most large cities will have apartment/house locators. They'll give you a survey to find out your wants and needs in a place and they'll help you find out about them. Also check out places like www.springstreet.com, www.apartments.com. Many apartment locators now have websites.

After you have limited your choises to say 5 or so, you can contact the local police department and find out about the level of insidents reported in the area. You probalby won't beable to get specifics, but they should be able to tell you, that X were for disturbing the piece, X for car theif/robbery, X for domestic dispute.

Sometimes its best to get an opinon from a resident. Being that you said you didn't know anyone. You still may have other resources availble to you. Look up a local church in the area that you might go to when you move, explain to the staff your predicument. They should have some recommendations, or parishiers to talk to. If you plan on being involved in an organization - contact their local office. Look for alum from your college in the area to consult. Or contact the human resources department/person at the place you are looking at for a job. Also, do a web search, you might beable to find a few forums that discuss regional issues. But do consider the source with anyone you are talking to.

Best of Luck
Old 07-27-2000, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Asia,

I too am unhappy about Napster. Are you relocating due to a job? If so, the company's HR department might be able to recommend and/or provide services to help you in your move.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-28-2000, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
Asia,
Are you relocating due to a job? If so, the company's HR department might be able to recommend and/or provide services to help you in your move.

Thanks for all the responses. I am taking it all into consideration.

Ms. Brooklyn Delta -- actually I am born and raised in Queens. NYC luv to ya!

No, I am not moving due to a job. I am moving because I want to go home (to me, the city is home). I've been misplaced for too long and the city is calling my heart home (you city born people should know what I mean!). This southern region is becoming a lot more than I want to bear. I need the sanity the city offers (if that makes any sense at all!!) ;-)

Thanks again
Old 07-29-2000, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
Smile

Napster was granted a stay yesterday, looks like it's going to be a while before the record industry can control the world. Happy downloading...

AXPAlum
Old 07-29-2000, 01:39 PM

No comment on Napster except to say that I'm not sure I'd want someone taking the stuff that I do to make a living and give it away free. That's why we have copyright laws.

As for moving, all of the above is good advice, expecially checking to see if there is an alumni chapter in your area. If not, is there an undergraduate chapter? Second, it is likely that your university/college will also have an alumni chapter nearby. Check with the alumni association on your campus. I'm the president of our local chapter.

And good luck.

DeltAlum
Old 07-30-2000, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Asia-

I just returned from my fraterntiy's National Convention. I met a lot of wonderful people. One of the ladies (who graduated from my university in 1942!!) gave me some great advice.. she pointed out that anytime I go to or near a city, there is probably an alumni chapter there. And I have an instant supply of friends and people knowledgeable about the city!

If you belong to a national organization, see if you can locate some alumni in the area you are moving to. I'm sure they would be MORE than happy to help you out!!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I am the veteran of many cross country moves where I knew nobody in the city I was moving to. Here is my advice:
1. Visit Realtor.com and use their neighborhood finder option. I have found it to be very accurate and has helped us to pinpoint cities and neighborhoods that we have been very happy in each move.
2. Get copies of all of your medical records so you can hand them to your new doctor. Do not wait for record transfers, they can take forever. Don't forget dental records.
3. Don't be shy! When you go for a visit speak to as many people as you can and let them know that you are relocating and what you are looking for. Once a neighborhood has been mentioned several times then you know you are on to something.
4. Ask your new coworkers where would they recommend you live.

It takes about a year for your new city to feel like home, so don't get discouraged if you get a bit home sick. My advice to people who relocate is to always find the best things a place has to offer and focus on those things instead of dwelling on the things that are different or maybe not so great for you. Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in the middle of the relocation madness, myself.
All I am trying to move back to SoCal--I am a native of it and you'd think I've never been there.
Because of the difference in housing costs, I'll have to find a room, and I've run into people who just seem to want to interview applicants and chat. No, I need a room.
I got lost on the freeway--ridiculous, I spent hr a day each way on them when I worked there.
I need to find housing by April 1, for grad school and campus job. (Everyone ought to start new things on April Fools Day). So far, C-L has been useless, Westside Rentals overpriced, am listed on 3 room mate search services.
I'm making another trip south from the central valley south tomorrow. Whee.
Everyone I knew down there has moved, most of them out of state, or I'd ask for help.

To the poster: does your organization have a chapter/alumni in area. Maybe they can provide some insight.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post
Asia-

If you belong to a national organization, see if you can locate some alumni in the area you are moving to. I'm sure they would be MORE than happy to help you out!!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Didn't catch that part of your post---you passed my thought on, already.
Back to grumbling about relocating.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

8 years guys.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

www.city-data.com
Same format as GreekChat, with some differences.
Lots of fun.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

While I am sure that the OP appreciates everyone's helpful input, by now I am fairly certain that s/he has already moved, found a job, got married, had a few kids and moved to the surburbs.

The post is from 2000.