GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,132
3 members and 2,129 guests
aantonygooglet9, Kevin

Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceColdAce06 View Post
Hey LG and !
{{{IceColdAce}}}
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Such a small world.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Now you know that with one phone call I will know who your father is--right? My soror was the president of the St. Paul Urban League and I worked at one time for the Mpls. Urban League. I bet I know him personally.
LOL. He told me he does know you personally, I probably know you too. I wouldn't be surprised if I met you when I was a kid or something. I'm looking foward to meeting you in September. I sent you a PM.
Romans 1:16
Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyivy84 View Post
My family is West Indian, so growing up I knew no black Greeks whatsoever. I think my first exposure even to the IDEA of black greek life was the movie School Daze, and the stereotypes of sororities in that movie. I saw that movie when I was 8 and I carried those images around with me for a good long time, thinking members of x org were all like this and y org were all like that.

Then I had my first real job, and it was something of a nightmare. I hated working in that law firm, and throughout my whole experience there was one friend I had who was kind to me, and in large part kept me going throughout. She was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, and completely changed my mind about what it meant to be a part of such a wonderful organization. The sisterliness that she showed to me when she was under no obligation touched me deeply, and throughout the years I have tried my best to model that behavior- always giving a hand up to people, regardless of what we share or don't share.

When I got to college, there were no active NPHC sororities. Both had gone dormant. My sophmore year there were rumblings that two would be coming back to our campus. I was still torn because of the stereotypes that I'd assumed for so long were the truth as a child, but I did my research, and was blown away when I realized all of the women that I considered to be my idols who were members of Alpha Kappa Alpha (not to leave out other organizations- I had a similar sense of pride in black women, and wonder at all that we do reading about the history of every sorority in the D9). Ultimately, it was a matter of personal experience. I didn't have any with members of Delta Sigma Theta, but I had a very special place in my heart for AKA.

And that was it for me.

The funny thing was that looking at my line, we broke every steroetpye on record. We range from dark to light, short to tall, slim to 'thick'. Some are very 'ladylike' and some are unconventional in many ways, but we all had incredible ambition, drive and I have rarely been in the company of a more intelligent and learned bunch of young women. I respect that immensely.

that entire story was beautiful, but your last paragraph warmed my heart. i feel the same way about my own line sisters *tear*
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
LOL. He told me he does know you personally, I probably know you too. I wouldn't be surprised if I met you when I was a kid or something. I'm looking foward to meeting you in September. I sent you a PM.
Uh Oh, I hope he knows me in a positive light - LOL.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Uh Oh, I hope he knows me in a positive light - LOL.
LOL! He does, it's postitve, but he was teasing you to me. I'll e-mail you what he said. I'm sure you'll remember.
Romans 1:16
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EyesOnThePrize
Smile Long and similar to other stories, but it's mine

I love this topic!! Mostly because I never get enough of telling this story (and if anyone that knows me personally esp. my line sisters is reading just skip on through this – you already know). I only talk about it so much because I truly LOVE Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and all that she has meant to my life since the first day I became aware of her.

When I was about 8 years old we were visiting relatives in my mother’s hometown in Alabama. One of my older cousins was home for the summer visiting from college (U of A Huntsville). I went into her room (I was always glued to her hip b/c I admired her so much) and it was a sea of pink and green. On one of her walls (literally the size of the wall) was the poem “And God Said” (my favorite AKA poem because I strive to epitomize the words therein). I asked her what “all of this stuff” was. She laughed at me and enthusiastically told me a bit about the history of our illustrious sisterhood. I remember this b/c I was (am) a dork and a huge history buff so I latched on to January 15, 1908, the names of our founders etc. Anyway my cousin, who I later learned was a charter member of her school’s chapter, told me to watch the women in my life and sort of gravitate towards those that possess the characteristics, morals and high standards that she knew women in my family possess (as a general rule in life, not just in seeking to be a member of an org. – less drama) b/c that’s what she had done and 95% of those women were members of AKA.

I remembered that growing up. My favorite math teacher in elementary school (Mrs. Miller) is a soror. My 9th grade English teacher – Mrs. Brantley Jackson (a woman who selected me to be her mentee {might not be a word} and cultivated my growing passion for literature and writing) was an AKA. My 11th and 12th grade English teachers – two of the classiest, strongest, most eloquent women I have ever met (and graciously allowed me to be their teachers’ pet) were women of Alllpha Kappa Alllpha Sorority Inc. One of these women, Lisa Phillips, pulled me to the side before graduation and told me two things: do your research and make a wise, well informed decision AND let my actions speak for me (discretion, discretion, discretion).

I learned a valuable lesson in college though. My journey into this sisterhood was not an easy one (details of which don’t need to be discussed here). Due to issues at my university as well as things going on in my personal life (including the deaths of 4 people that were near and dear to me within a year and a half period) I never had the opportunity to become a member during undergrad. But, as my name suggests, I kept my eyes on my goal. I supported community service projects with and without AKA (Greek and non-Greek). Post-graduation I moved across the country and had NO connections to local members but I made myself KNOWN due to my dedication to community service and high scholastic, moral and ethical standards (you never know who is watching you and where). I didn’t have to tell anyone that this is what I stand for. I live my life this way and it is more than evident. And it paid off. Not when and how I thought it would but in a good way nonetheless. June 3, 2007 I became a member of an organization that for at least 20 years I had HOPED I could be so fortunate to call my own.

SKEEE WEEEE!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

SKEE-WEE Soror.

I told my story over in the recruitment stories thread, but one of the things that I did not mention there was that as I did my research, I, like you, found out that many of the women that I already greatly admired were members of our sisterhood. My grandmother and several of my most influential college professor, not to mention the sorors that were on my campus.

Soror, your story gave me a little thrill. SKEE-WEE!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Why Did I Join Alpha Kappa Alpha

I love this topic too!

Some of the most elegant and impressive women I have had the pleasure and honor of claiming as mentors are Alpha Kappa Alpha women including my cousins (who were my first influence).

There is an indescribable majesty that these Alpha Kappa Alpha women possessed that I was determined to emulate. I am also extremely impressed and proud of our founders' vision of claiming femininity for Black women (in the selection of the colors, flower, pearls, etc.) during a time in American history when we were just a few years removed from slavery.

We are often subjected to stereotypes of being too girly and superficial as a consequence. But when we look how Black womanhood is being attacked in the media and music industry today, I am reminded of our founders who were the architects of the Black Sorority movement in America and; their foresight to leave us the great legacy in continuing to claim and reclaim our femininity as Black women.

Someone hand me a tissue...
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post

There is an indescribable majesty that these Alpha Kappa Alpha women possessed that I was determined to emulate. I am also extremely impressed and proud of our founders' vision of claiming femininity for Black women (in the selection of the colors, flower, pearls, etc.) during a time in American history when we were just a few years removed from slavery.

So few people recognize the significance of that act, Soror.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
SKEE-WEE Soror.

I told my story over in the recruitment stories thread, but one of the things that I did not mention there was that as I did my research, I, like you, found out that many of the women that I already greatly admired were members of our sisterhood. My grandmother and several of my most influential college professor, not to mention the sorors that were on my campus.

Thanks soror! I get a little thrill every time I think of this journey myself!

SKEEEEEEEEE WEEEEEEEEE!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
We are often subjected to stereotypes of being too girly and superficial as a consequence. But when we look how Black womanhood is being attacked in the media and music industry today, I am reminded of our founders who were the architects of the Black Sorority movement in America and; their foresight to leave us the great legacy in continuing to claim and reclaim our femininity as Black women.

Someone hand me a tissue...
Here ya go, Soror... that's so true!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AKA Sorors!

Thanks for the hanky (dab, dab)...
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
SKEE-WEE Soror.

Soror, I just read your story in the recruitment forum!!! Loved it. Very well written.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Soror!