GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,571
1 members and 2,570 guests
Joobee

Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Sent to Standards- Help!

Deleted

Last edited by girlonfire; 03-29-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlonfire View Post
Hi Y'all,

So I got in trouble with my standards board a week ago because I was caught in a picture (by the company which takes pictures for our socials) with a drink in my hand at a mixer. Obviously, there is plenty of underage drinking that goes on at socials, but I was dumb enough to get a picture of me with a drink in my hand. I take fully responsibility for my actions- underage drinking at a mixer puts my sorority in the position of potentially getting in trouble with Panhel or the bar or even underage cops (very common at socials...). However, I had pictures with my roommate who also had a drink in her hand, and I saw plenty of pictures with freshman and drinks. BUT, I am the ONLY person to get in trouble! I personally think this is unfair, especially since I will probably be put in social probation! This is purely speculation, but some of the standards chair's friends don't like me, and as one of the 2 minorities in my sorority I feel like I constantly have a target on my back. How should I go about with my meeting?
In most groups (I don't know every single group's policy, obviously) who gets taken to Standards is NOT public information. Other people may have gotten taken to Standards as well, but it is none of your business.

And the line about being one of two minorities in your group and having a target on your back... come on!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 AM

I'm sorry, but what is with women posting private chapter disciplinary info here on GC?

If someone is taken to Standards/Honor Council/Whatever, that is considered to be the PRIVATE disciplinary business of the chapter.

I know that in my sorority, we weren't privy to who went to our Honor Council for violations unless we were on the board. Other girls could very well be taken to your Standards Board without your knowledge because it's really none of your business.

I consider it extremely inappropriate to post about Standards Board info such as this on the internet because I'm certain that this is probably something that's supposed to STAY in YOUR chapter. Consider deleting your post or something.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Deleted

Last edited by girlonfire; 03-29-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

So you really think they would admit to you about getting called in? That's pretty naive thinking.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Suck it up! You broke the rules; you got caught. It doesn't matter who else was disciplined. You admit that YOU were in the WRONG. Make amends and don't worry about what other sisters are getting away with.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

deleted

Last edited by girlonfire; 03-29-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a collegiate member of my chapter, it was made very clear that the women on the standards board could never talk about what happened in standards, but they couldn't really keep the girls who were called in to standards from telling their roommates what happened if they wanted to. It was sort of like it was their business to tell. Besides, everyone would notice if they were on social probation. (What would a girl say, "nah, I just didn't feel like going to formal or the last three mixers...") I think this is a situation in which we can politely remind the OP that her other sisters may very well have been called to standards and they didn't want to tell her. That's all.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that you just realized that you pulled a Michael Phelps. Just suck it up and move on. There is no reason for you to "spill your guts" on a forum page. I know, I've had crap happen too, but you LEARN from the experience and move on in your life. You learn what NOT to do again and you keep going.
I know that you are just trying to vent and get other's opinions on the matter. However, this isn't the way to get it done. You have to realize that your other sorority members aren't going to tell you what happened to them, if anything happened to them. They just aren't willing to "spill their guts" to you and you did to them. You may feel like it's only you that got into trouble, however, as others have said, you don't clearly know because people aren't really willing to tell what happened to them, esp. if they got into disciplinary trouble.
Just suck it up, learn the lesson, and move on in life. Just remember, if there is someone taking and picture at a gathering again, don't drink, and don't take a picture with anything in your hand!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libramunoz View Post
Just suck it up, learn the lesson, and move on in life. Just remember, if there is someone taking and picture at a gathering again, don't drink, and don't take a picture with anything in your hand!
Excellent post/advice, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Deleted
Old 04-01-2009, 02:55 AM

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Why on EARTH would you want random photographers at your mixers??? They're not going to protect anyone, they're just going to throw a bunch of pics on their website.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't need a drink badly enough to do it blatantly at places where it was banned. I modestly pregamed and learned to have fun without it in public places until I turned 21.

Not a good sign when you can't do that. But if you choose to, rules are rules, don't do it if you CAN'T ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

this isn't the way to get it done. You have to realize that your other sorority members aren't going to tell you what happened to them, if anything happened to them. They just aren't willing to "spill their guts" to you and you did to them. You may feel like it's only you that got into trouble, however, as others have said, you don't clearly know because people aren't really willing to tell what happened to them, esp.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ At least one of the more . . . interesting . . . spammers we've had lately.