GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,146
0 members and 1,146 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2000, 11:52 AM
satin

Question Why Haze!!

If people KNOW that hazing is wrong, why is it still being done. I think that the simple fact of being hazed oneself causes them to take that out on the next. Future frats and sorors start to expect the things that are done during hazing. I've heard a girl actually say,"Yeah girl, they are going to beat my ass." (Name of the organization will stay unmentioned). When I heard this, it pissed me off that that was what she was looking forward to. Give some insight!!!
Old 04-16-2000, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Satin,
When it comes to hazing most people don't really speak their minds- Most say what they know the person in charge wants to hear. WHy do people haze when they know it is wrong? WELL!!!! because there are people still willing to be hazed!!!Well, because PLEDGING, not HAZING has a history. Well, because the process NPHC came up to to bring in new members seem a little dry at times- I won't deny that I have seen and heard things uncalled for but... It is up to the individual doing it and the one taking it.
I am not sure how familiar you are with the pledging process, but- ask around and you will find the answers. We need to come up with a common ground and agree of a new way to bring these new members. SOme argue that pleding was abolished because it was not working- well, obviously, MIP is not working either. This whole thing is diving us greek, now we have those who pledged (and worked for their letters according to them) and those who SIGNED. Nothing can be done to stop this.
People pledge knowing that it is "wrong" for the same reason people do drugs, and for the same reason Cops kill. I mean it is open to interpretation. Don't take me wrong hazing and pledging is not the same but, they are like mother and kid- One goes with the other.
I believe that pledging is going to continue. From what I hear pledging is a very unique experience, nothing can be compared to it and it is designed to 'make youa stronger person- TO EACH ITS OWN. I wish I could saymore, but- YOUNEVER KNOW WHO IS WATCHING!!!! HA HAHA!!!
Hope I snwer you question.
OH!!! WE ALL DEFINE HAZING IN DIFF> WAYS!!!!
Old 04-17-2000, 09:54 AM
satin

Ghostface,

Thanx for your insight on the matter. My next question to whomever would reply is.....Do you think that undergrad lines should be abolished all together. But that will make it bad for the organizations that don't HARD haze. There two oragnizations at my university that DO NOT " haze!!! So, that's pretty *@$#ed up for them!!
Old 04-18-2000, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Satin,

If I remember correctly, there are some national GLO's that have done away with a "new member" period altogether, and they initiated new members almost immediately.

This is interesting, because this is a move back to our "roots" - where fraternities traditionally initiated members almost immediately some years ago. Pledge periods really didn't start until just after World War 2 - and I think pledge periods were implemented due to the immense growth of chapters - it was the only way to manage growth. However, this "tradition" stuck with us until this day.

------------------
Don't be your brother's keeper; rather, be your brother's Brother.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old 05-03-2000, 04:14 PM
Melchisedic

Wrong! Hazing began well before WWII. Read the history of kapsi, aphia, qpsiphi, and you will see it began well before then. Anyone in a BGLO to ever be angry at slavery would make you a hypocrite. Beating down your own folk!! You should be ashamed.
Old 05-03-2000, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Goodness is he on every post?

I have interest in a particular sorority, the one and only sorority anyone should want to join, but I dont think theyre hazers. From what Ive seen on campus only the, more manly sororities act like that. If I mistake you for a dude I expect you to be a hazer.
Old 06-07-2000, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by satin:
If people KNOW that hazing is wrong, why is it still being done. I think that the simple fact of being hazed oneself causes them to take that out on the next. Future frats and sorors start to expect the things that are done during hazing. I've heard a girl actually say,"Yeah girl, they are going to beat my ass." (Name of the organization will stay unmentioned). When I heard this, it pissed me off that that was what she was looking forward to. Give some insight!!!

This is totally off the question but is your log on name satin like Lucfer if so than may God bless you sweetie.

pinkice9
Old 06-07-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I believe her name is Satin, like the cloth.

ZetaAce
Old 06-07-2000, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

satin = silky fabric. . .lots of prom dress are made from this, formals, wedding gowns, etc etc

satan=lucifer, ruler of hell, fallen angel

two totally different words.
Old 06-07-2000, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

why haze, like GFK says because there are people who are willing to be hazed. Some believe being abused during their process makes them more real. For all those who believe beating, mental abuse, etc. makes you more real, i wish our ancestors who died in slavery could sit you down and explain to you how painful it is to see blacks abusing each other and in the name of uplifting the black community, do we need to be abused in order to prove our worth. No, to allow yourself to be abused by someone just to be down, is not my idea of wisdom. I do believe in a pledge process and it can be done effectively without being abusive to those on line. Those greeks who "hazed" stop treating your neo's like they are not worthy, when it is your own fault that they are not able legally to be pledged today. they look up to you and so many are seeing that what they thought was a step into sister/brotherhood is not that at all. Some of us go to church on Sunday and "praise God" but on Monday look down on the new members, talk about taking somebody's letters off, won't even speak to their own soror or frat, and act like they are some Greek Goddess/God, how UGLY is that.
If pledging makes you feel like a better man or woman so be it but i get my self esteem from the Lord, AKA won't get me to heaven. My founders didn't beat and degrade thier neo's they chose women whose morals, ethics and character would further benifit the sorority and the community they lived in. So don't look down or disrespect new members who choose to do things the way their national office has mandated. We are not gangs, so let 's not act like one.

SkeeeWeeee Sorors of AKA who epitomize what a true Lady is.
Old 06-07-2000, 03:03 PM
hilton

Thumbs up

To mgdzkm433: I know that when people are talking about the "Devil" per se, they use Satan and Lucifer to be synonymous. This is partly inaccurate.

As someone who read Milton's Paradise Lost, Lucifer means 'full of light', and this was his "pre-fallen" name.
Satan was his "post-fallen" name.
So it is not totally accurate to say:
satan=lucifer (sorry to split hairs)

Hazing happens in sports teams too. I wonder why people feel this need to abuse others?
This topic was addressed on 20/20 Downtown or was it Nightline? last week.
Old 06-07-2000, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that. I was just relating the two because of the previous post. The one that thought satin as Lucifer. I should have clarified, but just wanted to get the point across.
Old 06-07-2000, 09:09 PM
satin

I mean satin as the smooth, beautiful fabric.
Old 08-05-2000, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This is funny!!
This post went from why haze to if this person's name was evil!!!

Goodness!!!

------------------
Set your goal!! Strive!! Bask in your reward!!

Positive Kay
Old 08-07-2000, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

OK THANKS FOR CLEARING UP MY IGNORANCE

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
satin = silky fabric. . .lots of prom dress are made from this, formals, wedding gowns, etc etc

satan=lucifer, ruler of hell, fallen angel

two totally different words.