GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,270
5 members and 1,265 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 09-29-2001, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up good stuff

marvelous remembrances ladies!!!
mmcat
Old 09-29-2001, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

DGmomofZeta,where in Houston do you live? I am just wondering because i also live in northwest houston, copperfield area! Its so cool you have a daughter that goes to SWT and is a Zeta. I actually met a girl this summer at work thats a Zeta at SWT.

Justamom, what sorority were you in? AXO? i think its just too early in the morning for me because i cant figure it out. Reason I ask is because i go to UH, and greek life is a possibility for me. Do you have a daughter at LSU?

I am sorry for all the questions but im just confused!

thanks
Old 09-29-2001, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My turn!

:: WARNING - LONG MESSAGE AHEAD! ::

Everyone here seems to be sharing stories about their formal rush expereinces. However, I didn't do that - I went through informal rush, or, Continuous Open Bidding (COB). COB is a lot different 'cause there are no set schedules and the PNM can really approach whichever houses she wants. In that way, one has to make snap decisions. The year I went, all of the 7 sororities qualified for COB. So, the Panhellenic held an Information Night. After that, each house was left on it's own to come up with whatever events it wanted to do.

Wait, I want to tell a quick side story: The reason I went is because my very anti-conformist artsy-fartsy friend was against greek life. She told me a story how, one evening she complained loudly in the dorm dining hall about how lame greeks were. A fraternity guy turned around and politely asked her if she had ever been to a greek event or knew anyone personally. She admitted she hadn't. He invited her to a party and advised that she at least give greeks a chance before knocking them. To my surprise she accepted the invite. She told me that she thought he handled her commentary well, she was impressed. At any rate, she invited me to go with, but I had class or something. Afterwards, she said that it wasn't at all like she thought. She had more respect, but she still thought going greek was lame. You know, conformity. At any rate, I certainly didn't share her views, but I realized that I hadn't really given greek life a chance either. That's why I decided to wander by the Information Night.

At my school, there are seven sororities:

Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Kappa

Because of the reasoning I just explained to you, I wasn't set on the idea of joining a sorority. I just wanted to check them out. I didn't know how to go about it, or what to wear. I remember that I thought I should dress up a little, so I wore a nice pair of black slacks and a white dress shirt of sorts. I probably looked like I was going to a job interview or something! I remember looking around at the other girls rushing and noticing that they all looked like they had just stepped out of a fashion show. They all had perfectly combed hair and perfect clothes. I thought "Oops...I guess I'm underdressed..."

Hehe...I also decided before hand that I was not going to allow anyone to intimidate me. So, I prepared some questions in my head; you know, things I would like to know about each house. I figured, I'm not going to allow them to "audition" *me*, I'm going to audition *them*! You know what? That strategy worked. Anyhow, here's how it went:

Each house had a table set up inside the ballroom we were in. There were several sisters at each table. Our student union is set up in a neat way. Outside the ballroom there are little rooms that each house had a mixer type thing going on. That was kinda cool....to get a more in-depth look at each. Ok, so we were finally allowed to get up and start looking!

I turned towards the table that was nearest to me. The house was GPhiB and I had an opinion the second my eyes hit them. I immediately noticed that the girls were all the same height, same ethnicity, the same hair color and hair cut. Same, same, same. It was kinda scary really. But, I had a very positive attitude and approached anyway. I looked over the materials for a minute. NO ONE introduced herself. The girls just stood there gossiping about someone with their backs to me. I finally introduced myself and asked if they could tell me a bit about their philanthropy. I'll never forget it, one of the girls turned and gave me a VERY half-hearted response - something like, "Oh...uhm...we support a camp for hearing impaired children" and then turned back to her gossiping. A few seconds later, another PNM, who looked just like them, asked a question and they all lit up and were very friendly. I remember feeling like I wanted to laugh; I found it amusing.

The next house was completely opposite. When I saw the Alpha Omicron Pi girls, they were waiting eagerly to speak to rushees. I saw that they were different ethnicities, shapes and sizes. That was appealing to me. I introduced myself and found the ladies to be sincere, helpful and definitely not fake. I decided I'd like to check them out further.

The next group was Delta Zeta. Oh my goodness. The second I walked up they were all so verrrrry friendly. I recall them as being slightly superficial, but very enthusiastic. Lots of hugging. I already had a good impression of DZ before I walked in. I had been on the rowing team the year before - one of my teammates was a DZ who had transferred. (unfortunately, I didn't see her at info night). She was really cool and spoke highly of DZ. The DZ girls really seemed to like me. They immediately started inviting me to other events they had going on.

After DZ was Tri-Delta! Again, lots and lots of hugging. Now, I'm not an unfriendly person, I just thought it was odd that so many complete strangers wanted to hug me. That sort of put me off. I don't know...I just wasn't feeling it. They were friendly, but it seemed superficial. I wanted to move on to the next house, but the girl rushing me literally grabbed me by the wrist and started pulling me through the crowd to introduce me to the others. She realllllly wanted me to come to one of their events later. Because they seemed to like me so much, I thought I'd go ahead and give them a second look.

Next was Sigma Kappa. Like DZ, two of the girls on my rowing team were in SK and were really neat people. That said, I went in with SK in mind already. I was quickly disappointed. The girl I spoke to wasn't very friendly; she gave me the impression that she didn't like me. I didn't see my teammates anywhere. I tried to talk to other sisters but they gave me the brush off. I got the hint. That bummed me out because I liked SK.

Next I saw Delta Gamma. Frankly, I didn't even stop to look because I already felt like it wasn't for me. Now, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with DG. They're alright girls...one of the sisters was also in an academic honor society with me. I guess...hrm..I just didn't dig the sailor theme.

Finally, the last house was Alpha Phi. I couldn't even get close to the table because it was crowded with PNMs. I noticed that the girls, PNMs and actives, who were crowded around all looked like they were the "cream of the crop." Funny enough, that's the impression I had of them before. (One of my roommates had several Alpha Phi friends and she always spoke of them as if they were the elite girls or something). Now, I consider myself to be a valuable person and all, but I didn't think I had a chance. I skipped Alpha Phi.

Ok, I'm going to stop here for now so that I can take a breather and you all can let it sink in. I don't mean to keep anyone in suspense or anything.

......Kelly
Old 09-29-2001, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

No, Kelly! TELL US THE ENDING!!!AAAAAHHH!
Old 09-29-2001, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

yes ~ why do you do this to us?!?!?! we can't wait to hear more
Old 09-29-2001, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

My Turn! - Part II

Ok! Ok! My goodness! Can't a girl stop to get something to eat?!

So here's the rest of my story about COB....

After doing the meet 'n' greet bit inside of the student union ballroom, I wandered over to the little party rooms to meet more sisters. I had it narrowed down to three out of seven, four if I include Tri-Delta. They are: Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Zeta and Sigma Kappa. Yes, I still held out some hope for SK. I avoided going in to see Delta Delta Delta 'cause, after my experience at the tables, I was afraid that they wouldn't let me leave!

I went in to see DZ first. The girl who had rushed me at the tables had since moved to the party room - she was very excited to see me come back. She practially flagged me down the second I walked in. They had a really cute luau theme going on. Some of the girls asked me about my interests and stuff. I mentioned this and that. When they found out that I've done some acting they nearly fainted. It turns out one of their members was on some TV show.

I thought they were all really cool....but they were still a teeny bit too superficial. But, I understand that people usually are when meeting strangers. For that reason, I accepted an invitation to attend another one of their events over the weekend (by the way, this was held on a Thursday evening). I figured the more I participate (with DZ or any house) the easier it will be to get the "true" personality of the sorority.

Honestly, I didn't really understand how informal recruitment and COB went. I say this because, while I was in the DZ room, a sister came in and made a "big" announcement. She said "This is so-and-so and she's just accepted a bid to Delta Zeta! Let's welcome our new sister!" and everyone just started cheering. I remember thinking "Huh? But we've only been here an hour! I thought today was only the first day!?" I didn't want to ask and make myself look silly. I just figured that maybe they had met her before and that's why they offered her the invitation so quickly. I now understand how it works.

At any rate, I spent quite a bit of time with Delta Zeta. They too kept draggin' me around and introducing me to others. I didn't know it at the time, but I found out later that being dragged around is a very good sign. It means that the rusher wanted everyone to know who I am so that I could get approval from the sisters later on. At least, that's what I heard. (Is that so?)

Ok! Moving on! On my way over to see AOPi, I passed by Alpha Phi. Again, their room was chock full of girls. I couldn't even see in to the back. They must be popular!

I entered into AOPi's party room and it wasn't as happenin' as Delta Zeta's. This could be due to the fact that it was close to the end of the night. That and AOPi's room was right outside the exit to the ballroom - I bet a lot of PNMs went to AOPi first. It didn't have a "theme" per say, but it did have a lot of cute decorations like Pandas and roses and such. They had a TV which played a video of their events and philanthropies. The sisters greeted me warmly and answered some questions. Then, surprise! It turns out that a couple of the sisters were in one of my classes. We were really surprised to run into each other. We just stood around and talked and talked and talked. The President joined in and she told me a really cute story about a rose pin she was wearing. She said that her little sister, 11 years old, gave it to her for Christmas saying "I can't wait until I get to be an AOPi." Cute.

It was getting somewhat late, it was around 9:30ish pm and I didn't want to wear out my welcome or anything. I decided to go. The AOPis also invited me to some other things that they were doing over the weekend. That was cool. At that point, it was so late, I didn't even bother with Sigma Kappa. I figured if they didn't like me enough to acknowledge my presence at the tables, I didn't want to bother them any more. So, by the end of the evening, I had it down to DZ and AOPi as finalists. I was leaning a bit more towards AOPi because of their honesty; but I was a bit disappointed that they weren't as enegetic as DZ. So, I figured I should go to one more event each before really setting my heart on either.

Later that evening, I got into my jammies and went to bed. At about 10:45pm, the President of AOPi called up and extended an invitation to join! I was sooooo flattered! As I mentioned, I didn't understand how COB went. I think I said something like, "Wow! Already!?" I really liked AOPi and I was so excited to receive a bid.

So, Tibi, you guessed correctly! BUT WAIT! There's a twist! Those of you who have followed my story in the Alumni Involvement forum know where this is going.

Like I said, I was very flattered to get a bid so quickly (within two hours?). But, I'm the kind of person who likes to be sure of things. Spending 20 mins with each house wasn't enough time. I thanked the President and politely asked her if I could take the weekend to decide. I said that I wanted to be sure...especially since I had promised another house that I would attend one of their events. She was very supportive and thought that was OK. She encouraged me to attend the greek night at the basketball game - she said that all of the sororities would be there and that I could check them all out again if I like. Of course, she added that she hoped I would stop by to sit with them!

Ok...I finished my post...but apparently it was too long. Big surprise there. I'll post the rest in the next message....

......Kelly
Old 09-29-2001, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My Turn! - Part III

Ok....here's the big finish!

Now, I don't want to make a long story even longer...so I'll summarize. My plans to go to the greek night event ended up taking the backseat. My father called me up the next day to tell me that my mom, who was ill, was taking a turn for the worse. I got very concerned about how it all would turn out. I was afraid that it may not be a good time to commit to a sorority - AOPi or any other for that matter. It was a very tough decision which kept me up all that next night...but I ended up declining the bid. I explained my situation to the Pres and assured her that I was *not* trying to ditch them for another sorority (besides, how could I get away with that?).

It's a good thing I did because things well...got really bad that semester. I'll spare you the depressing details...but my mom passed away a year later. Unfortunately, no one informed me that a bid is good for a year! Doh! I guess that wouldn't have mattered anyway.....

Two years later, in my senior year, I was feeling better. I decided to go to formal rush. I figured that I didn't stand much of a chance 'cause of my senior standing...but I wanted to try anyway. Well, I had an awful Rho Chi; she was not helpful. She forgot to tell me when the first round was and I ended up missing it. When I finally got a hold of her her attitude was, "Welll...you missed a lot. You can still keep going, but they're not going to know who you are." So, I dropped out. Well, I really never started!

Being the persevering person that I am, I had the guts to go to spring COB as a graduating senior! hee hee The only two houses eligible were Sigma Kappa and....Alpha Omicron Pi. I didn't bother with SK and went right to AOPi. I explained the *whole story* to the New Member Educator and she said that it was ok. Seniors rush all the time. I rushed...and was turned down. They said that I was cool and all...but that they didn't want me to have to pay so much money if I was about to graduate.

They offered to help me affiliate as an alumnae initiate but I haven't heard form them since. (I graduated in May). Since then, I've had the hardest time trying to get anyone to help. Well, that and there's more to the story that I'd rather not advertise in public.

I know, I guess my story ended up sadly. Maybe not! Just in the past couple weeks, the AOPi alumnae have been e-mailing me like there's no tomorrow. This is because I e-mailed one of the alumnae from the next town over and said "This is my last ditch effort...can any of you help?" She e-mailed my local alumnae and there ya go. I've now been invited to some of their events.

But wait! There's more! Long story short, a member of Alpha Xi Delta, which does not have a chapter at my alma mater, has been encouraging me to go to *their* events! They seem really interested in affiliating me with their organization. Go figure!

So see...my story is just all twisty and turny! I have NO IDEA what I am going to do! I didn't expect to have to go through a kind of "alumna recruitment!"

I decided to share my story with you all because it is very different than those posted previously. Going through COB is definately something else! I don't know how girls are expected to find the best fit in a whirlwind of rounds like in formal recruitment....let alone a one-shot-deal like what's often found in COB! Furthermore...I'm *still* going through it!

Boy, telling my story makes me feel really excited about the possibilities! I wonder how it will all turn out! (and if you want to know...I guess you ought to visit the Alumni Involvement forum, "Alumna Honor Initiate" thread to find out!).

......Kelly
Old 09-30-2001, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Lots of twists and turns...

Kelly,

I admire your "stick-to-itive-ness." I have the feeling you're going to find your Greek home as an alum. My (biological) sister will become my sister in Alpha Phi in October through alum initiation. Coincidentally, her name is Kelly too.

Good luck with AI. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'd be happy to chat with you via PM or e-mail.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Jen

Last edited by TechAPhi; 09-30-2001 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2001, 10:54 AM

Wow, Kelly ~ that's quite a story! I'm exhausted just reading it! Good luck with alum initiation!

OK, my turn...

On my campus, rush happens pretty much the day you arrive as a freshman. I hadn't planned to rush. Nobody in my family had ever been greek, and all I knew was the Animal House stereotypes... but I got dragged along with the crowd to Panhel's info meeting and sorority tours, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

There were 5 sororities on campus:

Alpha Phi
Alpha Chi Omega
Sigma Kappa
Kappa Alpha Theta
Sigma Iota Phi (local)

The local did not take part in formal rush, which left 4. Since only Alpha Phi had a house, all rush parties except informal rush (which I'll explain later - I think this is unique to my school) were held in function rooms in the student center.

First thing was tours - 10 minutes per house - basically, enough time to talk to one or two girls, see a skit, and that was it. The people I talked to at 2 houses came off as complete ditzes. I decided not to rush either house... I regretted this later, since you really can't judge a chapter by one girl. Then, I visited the other two houses. The girls I talked to seemed genuinely friendly and excited about their groups, so I decided to focus on those 2 sororities.

Next were open houses - 2 hours Friday night and 5 hours during the day on Saturday. You could spend as much or as little time with any sorority. I met a bunch of great people - and they remembered my name even when they bumped into me outside the rush rooms (like in the ladies' room) and I wasn't wearing a name tag. This impressed the heck out of me because I'm terrible with names.

After this, we got our first round of invites back, and not surprisingly, I was only invited back to the 2 houses I'd been focusing on.

Saturday evening and Sunday were "informal rush". You would go out with a particular sorority for a few hours... Alpha Phi took people over to their house, and the other sororities would take people for ice cream, tours of Boston, etc.

I spent Saturday evening with one of the 2 sororities. I met yet more of the sisters, and I was getting increasingly sold on Greek life and this house in particular.

On Sunday, I visited the other sorority. I signed in at the same time as another rushee, so 2 sisters took us out. Well, they spent the ENTIRE TIME rushing the other girl, and barely said anything to me! Now I was disenchanted with greek life...

Sunday evening were theme parties.

After theme, I sat down and thought a lot about whether I wanted to continue rushing. What happened at that last sorority really turned me off. I liked the other house - but when it came down to it, I realized that I didn't really feel that "sisterly bond" - you know, the feeling that you've come home, that everyone talks about. And Sigma Iota Phi was holding rush after formal rush. So I decided to drop out of rush, and rush SigIPhi.

Fast forward 6 days or so, to SigIPhi's first rush party. After seeing roomfuls of women (chapter total was 80 and all the nationals were close even before formal rush), I was surprised to walk in the room and find only 7 sisters. I thought, what is wrong with this group, nobody wants to join? It turns out that SigIPhi had just been founded the previous spring, and this was their first-ever rush.

I arrived about 10 minutes before the end of their first party - but they stuck around for another hour, and I got to meet all 7 of them as well as a couple of the rushees. They all made the effort to talk to me, even if just for a few minutes. And... click... there it was... the feeling that I'd come home.

They had 2 more rush parties, then bid day. Panhel even supplied a rho chi. I guess they liked me because they offered me a bid! After the bid day party, they held their pledge ceremony for me and the other 4 new members, and I got my big sister.

So... how come my user name is aephi alum? The short version is that, about a year and a half later, we decided to go national, and chose AEPhi. The long version... I'm too tired to type it right now...

Last edited by aephi alum; 06-09-2002 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through rush about 7/8 years ago. The sororities at the school:
ADPI
Chi O
Tri Delt
Theta
Phi Mu
Zeta
The first day was an open house, as well as the general meet & greet. I already knew a little bit about the sororities, so I wasn't completely clueless. The first house I went to was Theta & I loved it! I don't remember the order after that, I just remember I liked Theta, Zeta, and ChiO. Some of the other houses were considered really strong houses too, I just wasn't feeling it there. After the 2nd round of parties, my opinion hadn't changed, I still liked the same three. You could only go 3 for the third round
so ofcourse I put Theta, ChiO, and Zeta. I was invited back to Chi O and Theta. I was thrilled!!! Both had great third rounds, but Theta had a more upbeat, fun feel. I remember the girls seemed genuinely excited to see me again & I just got the "warm, fuzzy" feeling from them. I was really getting my heart set on Theta. I felt pretty confident that they wanted me too, but there was also that nagging voice of "what if they cut you?" Anyway, my mind was made up after pref. night. I was rushed by a girl that I was friends with from the year before & our conversation & the feel of the party was so natural. I remember this too; I wore a black dress to the party and all the Thetas were dressed in black dresses also. I already fit right in!

So Bid Day came and I knew I could be happy in either house b/c they both fit my personality, but I really favored Theta. We met out on this lawn and our Rho Chi passed out little envelopes. I was so anxious...I ripped the envelope & there was the crest! I was going to be a Kappa Alpha Theta! I remember running all the way to the Theta house & hugging my friend that rushed me. She told me later that a bunch of them were so worried I was going to come around the corner with some other sorority shirt on. I can't imagine not going Theta. I was sold on them, almost from the beginning.
Old 09-30-2001, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up good stuff

excellent remembrances...
mmcat
Old 09-30-2001, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I guess I will finally add my story.

I went through rush as a sophomore. My freshman year I hung out at the Sigma Phi Epsilon house a lot. The only sorority hanging out there was Phi Mu and I wasn't impressed with them.
I only went through rush because my roommate got on my nerves and I wanted her to join a sorority so I could get rid of her.
So, I go to my informational night on a Tuesday. We have seven sororities here, AGD, ADPi, AOPi, Phi Mu, Chi O, Sigma Kappa and KD
My rho chi introduced herself and made a slip so I knew she was either AGD, Sigma Kappa or Kappa Delta. She then told us all she hated her sorority and wished she had never pledged it and that the only reason she did was because her rho chi was in her sorority and she loved her rho chi. She then told us after rush she was turning in her pin.
So first night of house tours I go to KD and I walked in overwhelmed. The girl I talked to was nice, but I was so intimadated. They are the largest sorority on my campus and they were so loud, there were so many of them. I felt all alone in a room crowded! The girl I talked to stayed with me the entire time and all we did was go from room to room. I liked the girls I met though and they seemed down to earth.
The second house was Sigma Kappa. I knew a few girls before hand... they are the smallest house on campus. The girl I met had one problem I couldn't get past, she had Body Odor. It was bad. On top of that she put me in front of a picture book and turned pages. I didn't know any of those girls and it made me very uncomfortable. I couldn't wait for that party to be over.
I went to AGD next. I liked that they had a different type of cheer to enter on. I met about four sisters and they were really nice. The last girl I talked to had taken my boyfriend to their formal the semester before as friends (he and I were together at the time). Even though I knew she was his ex she made me feel at home and we even laughed about it. She was really sweet and acted like she wanted me there.
So that was the first night of my rush.
I'll write about the second night next (cause it has a lot!).
Sarah

Facebook
Old 09-30-2001, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

More! More!

Ewww...body odor, ex-girlfriends, and an awful Rho Chi--could it get any worse?
Old 09-30-2001, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, yes it did get worse!

So second night I go to ADPi first. My freshman year I always heard that ADPi was the stereotypical sorority. They were the blonde haired beauty queens. The girl that picked me up at the door I knew from my freshman year. She started telling me how she knew I had heard about them and what their stereotype was but I shouldn't listen to that because they were so much more. We actually had a good conversation even though when I had known her from before she wasn't very nice to me. So I left their house very interested.

Then I went to AOPi. I knew already that I would be cut from them because one of their members and I got into it about sororities my freshman year. She told me that I didn't like them because I wasn't invited into one and I told her I didn't like them because people like her were in them (I was a freshman who hated sororities, remember?). The girl I talked to was nice, I guess, she kept telling me how many sisters had the same major as me and how great AOPi was but couldn't tell me why (she also told me it was her first rush on that side). I really liked the second girl I talked to, though. She was a junior, really down to earth and a lot of fun. We actually talked about how rush was so stressful and how we wished we were in sweatpants! I left there really liking some of the girls I met but knowing I wouldn't be invited back, which I was okay with.

Then I went to Phi Mu. Remember my freshman year I had met a lot of Phi Mu's. They were never nice to me because I was independant. Those girls (ten of them!) didn't even say hello to me, smile, or anything. So I went through their house and the girl that I had I was very honest with. She was SO NICE! I told her who I already knew and I told her that we had never gotten along but I wanted her to know that I thought she was different from them and I thanked her for that! I left there in awe that she was actually a member of a group of women that I didn't think highly of.

Then I went to Chi O. I met three girls. The first was very sweet, very nice. She was really energetic and answered a lot of questions and made me feel at home. The second girl I talked to was a senior. She made it a point to tell me that, a lot. I asked her about community service and she said "We are supposed to do it, but I always pay the fine instead!" and then when i asked her about their philanthropy she turned and asked someone else, same for asking about dues. The last girl I talked to really did it, though! She said "Hi my name is Casey, if you were going to be a piece of furniture what would you be and why?". I looked at her stunned and she repeated the question. I told her that I couldn't answer that and asked her if she was serious. She said yes she was. Needless to say I was totally speechless, I didn't answer it and changed the question asking to see their display boards. I left there dumbstruck.... "What piece of furniture would you be and why?" PUH LEASE!

So those were house tours. So the next day I go back and we get our invites... drumroll.... I was invited back to 4 out of 7. AOPi, Phi Mu and Chi O dropped me. I was really not excited about going back to Sigma Kappa, but other than that I was thrilled. The only ones I was interested in after the first rounds were KD, AGD and ADPi. So I was pumped for theme rounds.

My first party was Sigma Kappa. They did a Clueless theme. I hated it. They had girls singing that couldn't and the girl I talked to kept saying "You know?" It drove me crazy! Probably because I already didn't want to be there. So it was over and I left like I came in.
Second party was ADPi. They do a Hee Haw theme and it is funny. They have two old grannies talking about the good ole days. It was funny but the girl I talked to was superficial. I finally found myself in the middle of their skit saying to myself "I couldn't cry in front of this girl because I would be afraid of my mascara running". So that is when I realized I wasn't meant to be there. It wasn't a bad thing, that one girl turned me off to them but mainly because she and I couldn't hit it off.
Third party was KD. They had a great skit, Grease. I loved it. One of the girls that I already knew was in it as Frankie Valey's part (Beauty School Drop out) and she was wearing a white jumpsuit with green underwear underneath. The girl i was sitting with told me about how funny it was that she didn't know you could see through it. I thought it was horrible. I had a good time but again the girl rushing me and I didn't hit it off and she made me feel like I had to keep the conversation flowing. I wasn't feeling it like I had the day before but I still felt okay about them.
So then I went to AGD. I talked to three girls. The first was someone I knew before rush. We were talking about things and she got quiet and I asked her if she was okay, and she started to get tears in her eyes. She said her fiancee had just left for Bosnia for eight months and her cat died. I felt awful. Three girls immediately came over and comforted her. I thought that was awesome. She told me she hoped to see me at pref and to have a great rush no matter what. The next person I talked to was the president and then a senior named Jamie. She made me laugh the entire while. They did a skit about a lost rushee and sang True Colors together. It was really cheesy.
So by the end of the day I was down to KD and AGD.
More on pref tomorrow!

Facebook
Old 09-30-2001, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

So to finish the story, I go back for my pref invites pretty confused like. I only liked AGD and KD and my roommate was all about KD and I didn't want to be in the same sorority as her so I went to pick up my invites and my rho chi sits me down and is all serious. She looked and me and said "Okay, I just, I'll take care of you I guess.. you were only invited back to one sorority" and I was so happy, that made my decision so much easier. So she goes on "AGD... I am so sorry" and I was like "WHAT? Why? that is who i liked. I was okay with KD too but they were the only two and I didn't want to have to decide". She looked stunned. I didn't want to waste my time at other sorority's prefs... so I went to AGD and the girl that had dated my boyfriend preffed me. We ended up talking about a mutual friend that had died the year before. As I left she hugged me and told me I was meant to be an Alpha Gam.
I went upstairs right after and suicided AGD.
My roommate came home. She had gone to ADPi, KD and AGD. She said she put KD, then ADPi and then AGD.. but come to find out she put AGD down first because she didn't want to join alone. Needless to say the next morning my rho chi came by, handed me a bid and all she said was "Hope YOU like it" and left. Nothing else. She didn't even come to the bid day, she just turned in her pin and quit. By the way, she was a Sigma Kappa.
My roommate ended up pledging too. She transferred schools later and we don't keep in touch, but that is how I became an Alpha Gam. Can you believe with a rush like that I even went Greek?

Facebook